Amazon or netflix

To: ALL1 of 30
Halo all

I am getting towards the end of my Sky contract and am thinking of getting rid of it for FreeSat and an extra service. I only want one service to rule them all but can not decide between Amazon Prime instant or Netflix.

Me and my son mostly watch cartoons and my wife tends to watch crime murder death kill crap like CSI and Hairy Boosh. 

Who has what and how do you or ya family use it?

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 2 of 30
We have both.

Girlfriend bought me an Amazon Fire TV (not the stick one) for my birthday, which is very smart and much more slick than the Apple TV's interface we, plus it runs XBMC/Kodi too so no need for the RaspberryPi / HTPC any more.

As far as the two services go, we definitely watch more Netflix than we do stuff on Amazon Prime, but that's because Netflix has more things on it that we want to watch, which tends to be anything from Friends and Fraiser to Daredevil.

I would say, get a Fire TV (it comes with Netflix preloaded on it), see if you can get a Amazon Prime trial and test them both out.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 3 of 30
Amazon can be pretty decent, but we still find that Netflix has the upper hand. Add a DNS fudging service and you have even more stuff to watch.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 4 of 30
We're in the US and use Netflix and some free websites like Crackle.com most of the time.

We've also been known to use RabbitTV. The RabbitTV gives us our locals very nicely.

With everything available on the internet to watch on your TV, I don't know why anyone bothers with actual TV cable anymore. Especially considering how expensive cable TV is these days.

Message 41461.5 was deleted
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 6 of 30
I'm not really into much American stuff other than Big Bang and a few other comedies. I'm still a kid at heart so Cartoons are what I am mostly wanting to watch with William. 

I will try both and then pass judgement. That is if Sky don't give me an amazing deal to stay with them for another year. Which normally happens when you try and cancel.

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 7 of 30
You Tube has a lot of cartoons. Loony Toons and so forth. My grandsons watch them on it all the time. :)
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 8 of 30
That is very true, It also has a lot of nasty that doesn't always gets blocked by the age limit.
To: Al JunioR (53NORTH) 9 of 30
No TV for ~5-years. Don't know what we'd do without our library's vast collection of dvds (including many tv series).
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 10 of 30
I check out what they want to watch to make sure it's safe. So far, we've never had a problem. They tend to lean in the direction of Looney Toons and Hannah Barbera. Sometimes Sesame Street, but mostly the cartoons. :)
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 30
Last count about two years ago was right around 3000 DVDs for our house. I'm sure there are more shows and movies than DVDs. We have quite a few that are collections. Like ten, twenty, fifty, etc. of a certain type of movie, then there are the series that usually have at least a couple episodes on each disc.

When I started collecting it was VHS, but then DVD came out and I switched over. Switching was fun...NOT. lol
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 12 of 30
3000?!  :-O

How are you storing all of them?

Any plans to move everything to blu-ray?

To: graphitone 13 of 30
What I've already got on DVD I'll probably just keep. When blu-ray came out I started buying new stuff on it. So I've actually got a mix of regular DVD, HD DVD, and blu-ray. If I see something on blu-ray, that I already have on one of the previous two, and it's cheap, I might switch it out. If I find a set in a single case, and I've got it in individual cases, I'll usually buy it and switch them out, but it's just a space saving. One thin case holding multiple discs versus multiple cases holding one disc each. However, I don't have plans to switch them all out. I don't think it would be very cost effective. Besides, blu-ray players play all three. So as long as everything works, I'm good.

I have a large craft room with floor to ceiling shelves on three of it's four walls and I have them on them. We also have an office with similar shelves two walls and some are in that room, the rest are on the shelves on the livingroom wall. We keep the ones we watch the most in the livingroom. :)

They're all in alphabetical order in each room, starting with zero to nine then from A to Z. I thought about doing the alphabetical order throughout the house, but it would mean a lot more shifting when I bought a new one. So I opted to do it for each room instead.

If we want to find a particular show or movie, we just look in an index I put together for each room. It makes finding things very easy. Even if it's a part of a movie or show set. :)
EDITED: 28 Apr 2015 20:54 by CYBATRON
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 14 of 30
I've done something similar with our ~1500 CDs. We've just decorated an attic room and I've filled a large alcove with shelving and whacked them all in there. I've had to alphabetise them otherwise we'd never find anything.

Can blu-ray players read HD DVDs then? Never had an HD DVD to experiment with.
EDITED: 29 Apr 2015 09:21 by GRAPHITONE
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 15 of 30
Perhaps I should have specified our public library. Our personal collection is probably in the range of 50-60, of which a good half are dispensible (we'll never watch again). The public library has a huge collection of obscure foreign and art house flicks you would never even find for sale (or otherwise know exist), as well as most hollywood theatrical releases going back to the early days of the industry. Current 'in-demand' tv series are a bit thin, they might e.g. have only one season. Also the chances of getting previously-loaned disks that are scratched unplayable is somewhat high, especially with the more popular titles (as you might expect).
Message 41461.16 was deleted
To: graphitone 17 of 30
I have regular DVDs, HDs, and blu-ray, and it plays them all. One of the reasons I like it that you don't have to replace your older ones with new ones. Save you a ton.

Some people collect key chains, rocks, and other stuff. We collect movies, shows, and music. :)
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 30
I've been collecting movies, shows, and the old man has been at it with music for years. We've also got a nice book collection. I have a ton of those old Reader's Digest hardbacks with a bunch of stories in each one.

Even if the internet goes down for some reason, we've got a lot to choose from for entertainment. :)

I know the library here has DVDs and such, but I've never gotten anything like that from it.
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 19 of 30
Well, I did just buy a Reservoir Dogs + Bad Lieutenant dvd for five bucks. Gotta own the classics.
To: graphitone 20 of 30
Will you actually use the CDs? Are they ripped anywhere?

I've got quite a few CDs still stuck at my parents. They're all ripped to decent quality MP3s so I can't be bothered bringing them here. I've already got too much clutter, but I refuse to get rid of them.