PC upgrade me-do

To: ALL1 of 41
In the spirit of nostalgia, it's that time of the decade again: my PC is creaking a bit (not that much, considering), and I feel the need to build something new.

I'm planning on using the same case, psu, hdd, optical drive and so on, but investing in a new processor, motherboard, memory and gpu. Budget of less that 400.

This is what I'm looking at so far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xsgtRB

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Kingston Fury Red Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB Dual-X Video Card

Anything in that lot which makes you think it's all horribly wrong? Going with an AMD processor because they seem to be much better bang for buck that Intel, and I don't want to spend TOO much. Radeon because I've currently got a Radeon, but if someone was to give a convincing alternative, I could be swayed.

I'm also wondering if this'll be the last desktop PC I ever build, given that these days there are tablets and phones and little boxes that connect to televisions and consoles and they all do pretty much what desktops do, in a much more populist way.

To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 2 of 41
Are you planning to put games on it much? Because if so I'd go i5 and Nvidia probably, just to save aggravation. AMD are not currently getting much of a positive rep, although it has meant they've kept prices low admittedly.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 Feb 2015 16:31
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 3 of 41
I didn't read the thread title, so when I read your opening "In the spirit of nostalgia, it's that time of the decade again", I immediately thought of the 2008 awards.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 4 of 41
Feel free to find the thread where I asked for nominations for the awards some time in the last couple of years.
To: milko 5 of 41
Yeah, was planning on running games on it - main one that's prompted the upgrade is the likes of Shadow of Mordor, Elite and so on all laughing at my current setup. From what I've seen, it's close between the fx8350 and the I5 equivalent, but with lots of arguing.

Mind you, this is one of those things where for the sake of 20 quid I end up with the "not quite" version, isn't it? Like when I had a Creative Zen instead of an iPod, or the wrong sodding trainers, or voting Lib Dem.*

*Disclaimer - I never voted Lib Dem.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 6 of 41
Haha. I decided to spend the extra few quid this time, I feel too time-poor to be messing about with awkward drivers and compatibility stuff. So far things Just Work.

If you consider that you're likely to keep whatever you choose for a long time then the push to spend a bit more is even stronger!
To: milko 7 of 41
OK, so if I change to Intel, am I better changing to GeForce for graphics? I've lost off which GPUs are good these days, and who is being dicks.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 8 of 41
What's the current setup, 'cos if we know what you're upgrading from, it might be easier to tell what performance gain you'll get.

I've got a 4 year old nVidia card, a GTX560TI and it's still blasting it's way through things. Mind you, the newest game I've got is Lego Marvel Super Heroes. :/
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 9 of 41
Much of a muchness really..
I'd go for a Radeon R9 280, MSI TwinFrozr or Gigabyte Windforce have the extra warranty and quieter coolers. Here's a cheaper one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-AMD-Graphics-Card-DDR5/dp/B00IRTXPBM

4GB RAM? Are you Trig? Go for 8GB, should be available for a smidge under £60 - say something like this, feel free to find cheaper sources: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Series-1866MHz-Memory-Module/dp/B00J8E91T0

CPU - the i5-4690k would be a sweet spot, if you want to spend less then the i5-4460 is also pretty good.

Motherboard - muh... say the Gigabyte Z97P-D3?

So: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/F7K3vK
Yes it's a bit more, but it should be quite a bit better overall. An SSD would be a good idea, and a different CPU cooler if you want to overclock.
EDITED: 5 Feb 2015 18:34 by NUKKLEAR
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 10 of 41
The Intel bit isn't relevant really for the graphics choice. I would still recommend an Nvidia Geforce aye, just for the better driver support. Even though there's a bit of fuss about their current 970 offering having a slightly dodgy memory thing going on.

I see Serg is saying go AMD for graphics, and for pure bang per buck they are better. I just don't wanna go back there after having so much hassle with drivers in the past. Still hear people complaining about them and associated performance issues!
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 11 of 41
My motherboard is an MSI (K9-MMV), and I can't say I'm really pleased with it. I've had a lot of hdd problems over the past 5 years I've had it, and discovered a few months ago they may be down to a wobbly SATA connector on the motherboard (I'm still using it though).  An Asus mb we got at work a couple of years ago (M5A 78L-M LX) is comparatively solid. Also, what someone said about the memory.
To: milko 12 of 41
The near-enough nVidia alternative would be the GTX960, although it's around £170. It'd be a bit of a shame to go for one of the older nVidia cards now that this one is out.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 Feb 2015 19:51
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 13 of 41
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 14 of 41
Quote: 
Hopefully, however does teh awards for 2008 will have more enthusiam.

That was me un-volunteering from doing Teh Awards 2008. Feel free to take the reins.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 Feb 2015 21:08
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 15 of 41
Ahhh, "however" should be 'whoever'. Just a little too subtle for us thickos at the back of the class Kenneth.
To: ALL16 of 41
Have to agree with with Sergeuiuiuiu about the Radeon R9.  My experience has been completely seamless.  Games play fine across Little Blue's 3 screens with Eyefinity and in the absence of Hydravision updates, Displayfusion Pro sorts out per-screen window snapping & wallpapers.  I'm sure Geforce is a sound offer too, maybe even better; but I wouldn't write off Radeon out of hand.
To: Manthorp 17 of 41
Cool, I should be clear it's a while since I messed with one.

I have a stoopid GTX980 now for some reason.
To: ALL18 of 41
My current system is:

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
4Gb DDR2 RAM TBH
Radeon HD 4850 1Gb (Doesn't do DirectX 11, which is what prompted the upgrade)
1.5 Tbs worth of SATA HDDs (a 1Tb and a 500Gb) - tempted to go SSD at some point, but that'll be a later addition

To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 19 of 41
I've just replaced an old first generation i5 cpu plus motherboard and memory with this because the power supply failed. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it was perfectly obvious straight away that the 5V rail had gone trotters-up (it was only delivering about 2V) but fortunately I managed to persuade myself that there must also be a motherboard problem, in spite of the lack of evidence. This meant that I had to replace PSU, processor, motherboard and memory (might as well go for faster memory, eh?).

I don't do much gaming and get by with an incredibly cheap Nvidia G200 graphics card, so I have nothing to say on that front, but some things were a revelation. Being encouraged to overclock the cpu up to 4.7 GHz by a program supplied by the motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) with the click of a button in Windows, and still having it run at 25C under load, updating the BIOS from Windows as though it's a trivial change (yes, I know that's been around for years but not on anything I've owned).

All very fast and very stable - especially with an SSD (from on-button to useable desktop in under 30 seconds - that's better than my blu ray player).

Best of all, I discovered that the incredibly irritating hum from my case that's annoyed me for the last couple of years or more isn't a fan as I had suspected, it's an old hard drive. So obviously I have to buy one of those too.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 20 of 41
Some maybe pertinent stuff here, a look ahead at Windows 10 and DirectX 12.
http://anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm

In short - big performance boost coming, especially for Nvidiots.