TV me do

To: ALL1 of 17
Any recommendations for a 24", possibly a smart TV but it essential as it will probably be connected to the computer upstairs. 1080p definitely though.

Almost bought an LG smart TV from Curry's but a review said moving objects left blurry streaks across the screen.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 2 of 17
Hmm, looking at 2 different Samsung TVs.

The UE22H5600, smaller than originally but lots of good reviews and it can record to a USB stick.

Or the LT24D390SW, can't find many reviews, Cheaper. Someone said the channel changing and info is slow.
To: ALL3 of 17
Or a cheaper TV with a Chromecast. Or just a PC monitor, find my old TV tuner and use that. Never quite as easy as a TV though. And at some point in the future the TV will probably be used without a computer.
To: ALL4 of 17
What's the difference between a TV and a TV monitor? I assume most LCD/plasma screens can be used as a monitor on a computer.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 5 of 17
My parents bought a small Toshiba LCD that seemed to have a decent picture and was fairly responsive. It had some smarts so it could play videos off USB drives.
EDITED: 4 Dec 2014 10:38 by ANT_THOMAS
To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 17
Thanks Ant. Pretty sure I'm going to get one of the Samsungs. Can't find the 24" in stock anywhere but London so might have to get a 27" instead. Too big for a bedroom? Not had a TV in there for over a year.

Not sure about the media playing capabilities of the Samsung but it has WiFi and the online stuff has BBC, ITV, 4OD and 5.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 7 of 17
I can't comment on size (yj), I have a 42" TV in the bedroom.
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 17
42" in the bedroom? Impressive (DJ).
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 9 of 17
I bought a 50" for the living room the 42" is now in the bedroom. It's a fairly big room so the distance between me and the TV is quite a bit.
To: ALL10 of 17
To: ANT_THOMAS 11 of 17
I did the same thing when I got a bigger TV for the living room (42") but moved the 32 to the kitchen instead. It would be nice to get a big 50" 1080p plasma, before they all disappear, for the loving room but I think the old 32" would be too big for the bedroom.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 12 of 17
Perfect. In fact I think I might have something similar in the attic.
To: ALL13 of 17
Picked up a Samsung 27" smart TV from Curry's today. Very impressed with it so far. Haven't actually got the TV through the aerial working yet but the networking stuff is great. All the major channels on demand stuff, no Netflix apparently though, which doesn't bother me.

It picked up stuff on my NAS easily too. Played BttF with a DTS audio track and it worked perfectly, just a bit slow at scrolling through the media on the NAS.
To: ALL14 of 17
I was starting to think this TV shouldn't be marketed as a TV monitor as I couldn't get the PC output to show on the TV without any scaling. That was until I decided to try the other HDMI port. It even shows on the source menu HDMI/DVI PC. So all good now.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 15 of 17
It's a stupid way to do things but it seems a lot of TVs only offer a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio on a specific input.
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 17
Not a problem if you only have one PC connected to it, and if you know which one to plug it into. I'm sure it probably says in the instructions somewhere. I bet most people wouldn't actually realise though, seen plenty of laptops and PCs with LCDs set to the incorrect resolution.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 17
A friend recently got a super-wide Philips (I think) monitor. It's sweet - you can display two inputs side by side, each at full HD res. Nice for full HD desktop on one side, full HD movie on the other.

It's a pretty pricey monitor, but the cheap fuckers skimped on the processing electronics: if you want to use two inputs at once, one *must* be Display Port, and one *must* be either DVI or HDMI. Despite the thing having about 4 HDMI ports and 2 DVI ports, the cheap bastards only allow one signal processor for 6 inputs :C