HP Chromebox

To: ALL1 of 8
Bought one the other day to replace my bad purchase - Asus EeeBox EB1037 that I can't get the nvidia graphics working in Linux.

£149 and it is fantastic as a HTPC. Tiny little box, low-power, decent price and handles all HD stuff as well as high quality deinterlacing for Live TV.

Some easy to follow guides and scripts to wipe it of Chrome OS and install OpenElec (or dual-boot if you want) on the XBMC website.
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 8
How responsive is the interface? That's my main gripe with the Pi (that and never being able to work out how to rescan the library
:$)
To: koswix 3 of 8
Very responsive. It's got an SSD so that helps a lot.
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 8
Can it play 1080p files from a Samba (Windows) share?

Basically, I need something to temporarily replace my Mede8er X600, but I've got 1080p videos, and some full BluRay rips as well. It's always a pain to try to find something that ticks all the boxes.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 5 of 8
Yep 1080p over Samba Windows share works fine (that's what I do).

Not tried full BluRay rips as I don't have any.
To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 8
You have my interest. Now I need to figure out what and how to do with one...

edit: or buy a NUC instead.
EDITED: 4 Sep 2014 12:42 by NUKKLEAR
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 7 of 8
This thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362
This wiki - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASUS_Chromebox#Device_Preparation
(ASUS and HP are basically the same)

You need to do the device prep first.

I only did 1.1 and 1.2 of the device prep because I've gone for standalone OpenELEC.

You may see a few posts near the end of that thread from me. The fan can get a little noisy but I think that's because I'm doing some HQ Deinterlacing and scaling which is quite CPU heavy. For standard 1080p playback it should be quiet/silent, all done by the Intel HD graphics with ease.

Remember you'll need a remote, phone app or some sort of thing to control it (keyboard+mouse bleurgh)
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 8 of 8
Or an NUC. If money isn't an issue then an i3 NUC is nice.