Weird battery issue

To: ALL1 of 22
Tracy's phone is being weird, not sure if it's the usb socket, the battery, a software issue, or a combination of them all.

It's a galaxy s3, and lately it's not been charging properly. *sees* like a loose connection, as wiggling the usb cable makes it charge again. Opened it up this morning and the USB socket looks solid, no (visibly) broken traces and isn't wobbly at all. 

Just for a test, I put her battery in my phone (an S4, her battery fits (kind of ) in mine but mine won't in hers). My phone reported the batter at 0%, and happily began charging it. After it got up to about 14% I took it out and put it back in the right phone (didn't fancy makin it go splody :$ ). Turned tracy's phone on and Android reports the battery level as 63%. Da fuq?

Got it on charge now, the percentage is going down (down to 55% now), and the on-charge voltage is only showing as 3.821v. Off charge that drops to 3.6v. In my s4 it was reporting 3.8ish off charge, jumping to 3.9-4.1v on charge.

Any ideas? I don't want to waste 20 quid on a new battery if it's not that. Waiting for dropbox to finish synching before doing a factory reset, but not convinced that'll help.
To: koswix 2 of 22
Not sure if newer phones still do weird things with battery stats, which might explain the difference in % between the phones.

I assume you've tried different chargers and cables?
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 22
According to some thread I read but seem to have closed, those recorded stats are purely used to display what apps have been using battery. The actual battery meter doesn't use them at all.

And yes, used different chargers and cables.
To: koswix 4 of 22
How old is the phone? My mother in law's S3 started doing a similar thing recently just before the end of her contract. I said it might be the battery so she bought a new one and it seemed to help for a bit then stopped charging after a bit. No idea if s factory reset would have helped. Worth a try.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 5 of 22
Not 100% sure, it's an ebay phone (she lost her original one, a week after cancelling the bloody insurance)
To: koswix 6 of 22
My nexus 7 battery started acting pretty weird after last couple of android updates (I actually thought it was close to dead since I couldn't get it to charge at all for a couple of days, even overnight). Now I can get it to charge only if I make sure to turn off the screen, even when in docking mode when all it displays is a clock. Then it will charge pretty fast, and last pretty well. The other thing I noticed is that immediately after an android update and for a couple of weeks after, all my apps get updates too which can really eat into battery life.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 7 of 22
Just done a fair they rest and it charged for a while, but now is refusing to believe there's a USB lead plugged in. I'm leaning towards it being the USB socket (seems a weak link in the design), it can't rule out the battery.

Looks Damn fiddly to replace the USB socket, but those qi pads are only a tenner on eBay... :D

Actually, I wonder if I could make it charge and check the battery by applying 5v to the wireless charging pickup...
To: koswix 8 of 22
It's tempting to think it's the socket because it gets wobbly fairly quickly. I also bought a new cable and it made no difference for me (though it's nice to have the spare I can leave at work).

On batter monitor widget it showed net drain, even when plugged into the wall wart charger (vs. usb --> pc), and when using the dock (separate pins on the tablet, not the tablet's usb socket), so I concluded it was a software/android thing.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 22
I've got it propped up on a bit of bread board and a couple of header pins feeding 5v to the wireless charging port. It's registered that it's charging at least, now to leave it a while and see if the battery goes up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpxawii8mlekbcl/2014-08-20%2017.05.13.jpg
To: ALL10 of 22
... and in he best part of ah hour the battery has gone down by 4%.
To: ALL11 of 22
Anyone have any experience with aftermarket batteries? Proving difficult to find a genuine one (as they all claim to be when they're clearly not)
To: ALL12 of 22
Anyone have any experience with aftermarket batteries? Proving difficult to find a genuine one (as they all claim to be when they're clearly not)
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Aug 2014 19:50
To: koswix 13 of 22
Not me, sorry. Wish I could help :(
EDITED: 20 Aug 2014 19:50 by MR_BASTARD
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Aug 2014 19:50
To: koswix 14 of 22
Not me, sorry. Wish I could help :(
EDITED: 20 Aug 2014 19:50 by MR_BASTARD
To: koswix 15 of 22
Unsurprisingly I have.

Had a generic one for an old HTC phone which was properly shit.

I found Anker batteries to be decent, often better true capacity than the official batteries.
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 22
I'll check them out, but I've just realised that I'll have the exact same fucking problem knowing if they're real or not (fail)
To: koswix 17 of 22
have you considered buying from a legit retailer? At some point for me the savings stop outweighing the frustration. Should be able to get genuine Anker or at least a guarantee of it, without paying through the nose, no?
To: milko 18 of 22
Only place I saw legit Samsung batteries in stock was Carbone Whoreface. And I refuse to shop there. And they wanted 30 quid for it, when the guide price for the S4 battery (bigger, better, faster) is £21.

Anyone used mobilefun? They seem to have lots of positive reviews on their site, but that's not always a guarantee.
To: koswix 19 of 22
Yes, but not for batteries or OEM bits. Bought a car charger and a window holder I think.

I was looking for a replacement SPen for my Note 2 as my daughter bit the tip off. Loads of places that sold "genuine" pens clearly weren't and reviews on Amazon said they didn't even fit the pen slot in the phone.

And looking on eBay last night for a spare charger for the laptop. "Genuine Lenovo AC adapter". No sign of Lenovo on the pictures.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 20 of 22
I have a genuine HP notebook adapter somewhere. I know it's genuine, because it says on it in big friendly letters GENUINE HP AC ADAPTER