Yodelling virgins boxes

To: ALL1 of 20
A week last Wednesday, I got an email from Virgin Media, telling me that I could now get 50Mbs internet instead of my current 20Mbs internet, FOR FREE. I clicked the link in the email, and went through the sign-up process on their website.

In doing so, discovered that they'd have to send me a new superhub, since I'm currently still on the same NTL-branded cable modem I've had since I moved here 8 years ago. There was an option for someone to come round and configurate it, for a mere 50 quid, but for 6 quid postage, I could do it myself. They'd send the superhub to me on a day of my choosing, starting on the following Monday (last Monday). I went for that option, but asked for it to be delivered on the Tuesday. I declined the offer to specify that it'd be delivered in the morning, since they were wanting a tenner for the honour.

I got an email telling me that my order was being processed, and I'd receive another email within 48 hours, confirming the delivery charge and date. I booked with my boss to work from home on the Tuesday. Didn't get another email.

Tuesday - worked from home. I got an email in morning, the one I should have received in 48 hours, telling me my order had now been processed, and that it would be delivered on Thursday.

I phoned them up to complain, and got told that ordering over the internet was slower and that I should have phoned my order in. I explained that Virgin Media, an internet provider, had sent me an email, over the internet, telling me about an offer of improved internet speeds, and that I could order this through the internet by simply clicking the link in the email, which opened a web page over the internet, and then clicking some more buttons. I didn't think it was unreasonable to assume their order processing system would be able to deal with this, what with being an internet company and all. I asked that, since they'd inconvenienced me, if they would at least refund the postage. They said they couldn't.

Thursday - I booked another day of working from home, and waited. Guess what? Yeah. So, round about ten at night, I phoned them again, and got a girl who actually tried to help me. Admittedly, she put me on hold for a while, but in that time she phoned their warehouse, then Yodel, and did her best to track down the parcel, and even better, gave me the tracking code. According to her, their internal system had it marked as despatched, but Yodel's system said it was still awaiting collection. I asked her if it was possible to get the address changed to my work address (to avoid pissing my boss off any further), and she did. She also refunded the postage.

Friday - needless to say, it was delivered to my flat while I was at work. Or rather, it was delivered to one of my downstairs neighbours. Except the one that it was delivered to is currently on holiday, and no one else in the block knew anything about it.

Turns out my neighbour's daughter had been watering the plants and happened to be in when the delivery man turned up. She came up tonight with it, and I'm now enjoying my much faster internet connection, but yeesh, a week and a half between ordering something and getting it - it's like being in the oldern days!
To: ALL2 of 20
Whilst I paid £25 for installation I must admit they did a decent job.

Put the box where I asked them too, gave me enough coax to move it after they'd gone.

They also had a 1 metre drill bit so they could drill through the front wall (there's currently a 16 inch bit stuck in the wall from my attempt previously).

Also, it's rapid, properly quick. I went for the fastest broadband (probably don't need it) but it speedtests regularly at 160mbit.
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 20
That's about the only reason I'd have got the installer in - I could do with moving the box somewhere convenient. I think I've still got a mobile number for one of the local engineers, so I should probably just call him up (or scrounge some cable from the next van I see).

I suppose in comparison to the hassle that some people have with certain telecoms companies, my problems were nothing much to complain about.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 4 of 20
After BT/Sky not turning up when they were booked in my last place, then initially refusing another engineer for about 6 weeks, this was a massive difference. Early, friendly and useful.
To: ANT_THOMAS 5 of 20
Did I mention on here that time in June last year when my internet suddenly stopped working and Virgin said they'd have it fixed by November?

Much kicking off ensued, it took an amazing amount of tweets and phone calls to actually get someone there to think about it properly.
To: milko 6 of 20
Ha, that's quite some timeframe.

Did you get a real reason for why the quoted that long?
To: ANT_THOMAS 7 of 20
They had some issue with capacity in the area which meant that in peak times connections would sometimes drop briefly, and the timeline for fixing that was November. So engineer one comes out, looks at cables and stuff for a few minutes and then checks for known faults and immediately decides that must be the cause and fucks right off. Their twitter staff were somewhat startled as well, and eventually the ones on the phone managed to put me through to somebody who could organise an engineer with slightly more attention to detail. After he fixed it (needed to turn up the gain or something like that) he reckoned loads of people in the area would get the exact same problem I had, so I'm sure there was plenty of entertainment to be had.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 8 of 20
I must tell you that your thread title peaked my interest quite thoroughly. Never having had the opportunity to yodel a virgin's box, I read your post with great alacrity. Still, I feel I have missed something.

Was it the not paying 50 quid?
To: fixrman 9 of 20
If I'd paid the 50 quid, the Virgin box would have been brought by a Virgin man (or woman, but it's mostly men) rather than someone from Yodel.
To: fixrman 10 of 20
*piqued
To: fixrman 11 of 20
Unless you actually got an erection in which case I guess peaked works.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 12 of 20
How are you, Drew?
EDITED: 16 Jul 2014 13:15 by ANT_THOMAS
To: ANT_THOMAS 13 of 20
Because his name is Andrew which is then shortened to Drew.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 14 of 20
Yodelodlelayheehoo!
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)16 Jul 2014 19:23
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 15 of 20
It would've been quicker if they'd emailed it to you, even on a 20mbps connection. Of course, downloading a super hub over a 50mbps will be much faster. Oh yes indeedy. :Y
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 20
Areet! Busy (which is good). How you doing, Ant?
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 17 of 20
Good to hear.

Lately I've been pulling out my lack of hair over Linux nvidia drivers that don't work with my new HTPC because it doesn't look the EFI/CSM/Optimus setup. Otherwise great.
To: ANT_THOMAS 18 of 20
Yeah optimus is a pain in the dick.
To: milko 19 of 20
Noticed this was on your wishlist: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/16/we-have-a-million-steam-keys-to-give-away-for-gun-monkeys-with-bundle-stars/

Not that I imagine that you have much time for games these days.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 20 of 20
Ha. Was it? I wonder why. Possibly because I vaguely internet-know the author. Anyway - I already did get my free code which I have not had time to actually put into Steam or anything, as is still the case with the one they did last week which I don't really want probably.

On the other hand! I have played a few games lately. Like Next Car Game and Banished. And Mario Golf 3DS.