TIVO -> PC

To: ALL1 of 12
Anyone here own a TiVo box and if so, have you ever tried connecting it to your home network?

There's a load of stuff on mine that I'd quite like to stick on the PC, or off load onto a NAS for more permanent storage. I've plugged the ethernet connection into the network, it's got an IP, but refuses to be browsable.

I found this site which offers a bit o' software to make the connection and be able to transfer media between TiVo and PC, albeit for a princely sum of $15.99. Anyone know if it'll work and perhaps even better, are there any free alternatives?
To: graphitone 2 of 12
Are you talking Virginmedia Tivo?

They've done a pretty good job of crippling the network features for sharing from the hard drive, other than with another Virgin Tivo box.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 12
Yeah... :C So, is there a way around it?!
To: graphitone 4 of 12
Probably, but I've been looking for the last 18 months and haven't found anything.

It is very annoying. There's no really reliable and simple way of getting recorded material off, either to keep or simply for viewing on another (non-Tivo) device. You can't stream it either unless you rent another Tivo box from them. The firmware has been reworked by Virgin, so I suspect the solution would involve applying a firmware version from a non-restricted Tivo as used elsewhere in the world. Probably not a good idea as Virginmedia has comprehensive remote access to your box (via the very network links they won't let you use).

Good luck finding a recorder with HDMI-in that you don't have to buy from somebody called Boris in the Southern Ukraine, or Sunshine Trading in Hong Kong for $5000. The manufacturers and video distributers are agreed on that one. Hauppauge do a PC capture card with HDMI or you can buy recorders with component input and feed them from an HDMI/component cable plus a separate sound lead. Did I mention that the Virginmedia signals and recordings are encrypted by the way - so that won't work unless you can crack their code.

So, basically, you can use the crappy scart output (which I think involves resetting your Tivo box anyway) and laboriously record item by item in real time and a poor version of SD. As far as I know Tivo lacks the recording-batching feature that allows a Sky user to record multiple items unattended. You could probably up the quality by using a decent HDMI to scart cable and recording in the best RGB mode that your recorder supports, but it's still real time, item by item.

I'd be delighted to hear that you have found something though. I tend to give up when the cost and effort exceeds the cost and effort of just buying the damn thing on disc. Which I imagine is exactly what the suppliers are aiming at.

Edit: it seems I'm out of date and that there are a few reasonably priced HDMI-in recorders around. I can't see why you shouldn't record straight off your Tivo box with one of these using the HDMI output. I assume the output is an unencrypted digital stream or otherwise your Telly would throw a fit. Still item by item and real time though.

Edit edit: no, of course not - that's me being daft. It'll still be HDCP encrypted to prevent copying so you're back to Boris for a recorder.

Edit edit edit: ooh, the things I'm finding out. Yes, you can select a 'package' of shows to watch (or record, obviously)
EDITED: 5 Jul 2014 10:01 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 5 of 12
Quote: 
I tend to give up when the cost and effort exceeds the cost and effort of just buying the damn thing on disc. Which I imagine is exactly what the suppliers are aiming at.

This.

I'm also tighter than Bruce Lee's pants at the start of Enter the Dragon. I'm loathe to spend 15 odd dollars on a program that probably won't work. :C

To: graphitone 6 of 12
Of course, if you could run some sort of server program on a PC that emulated another Virginmedia Tivo you'd be well away.
To: graphitone 7 of 12
That software seems to work the other way around - you transfer files from your PC to the TiVo, not the other way around.

As far as I know, there's no easy way of getting recordings off a TiVo box and onto your PC or something; the boxes, I believe, can talk between themselves and maybe share content, but not with non-TiVo devices. From the point of view of protecting material from being illegally exploited I guess it makes sense, but it's a PITA if you just want to watch your own recordings...
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 8 of 12
I'll have to resort to getting the VCR out and recording from the TiVo to tape.  :-Y
To: ALL9 of 12
I am using Virgin Media TiVo  Box for the last two years. Till last month it was running normal and but from the second week of this month it is giving problem. If I am watching any good program, in between the program it hangs and remain in that position some time for 15 minutes and sometimes for 2 hours. I brought this fact before Virgin Media Customer care on the number mentioned here and told them all the facts. They told me to reset my TiVo box by following the steps mentioned below:-

-Select “Help & Settings” on the Home screen.
-Choose “Clear” or “Reset set top box”.
-Select “Restart” or “Reset System.”

Thereafter  you have to choose from the 4 options mentioned below:-

-Restart the set top box
-Clear Thumb ratings and Suggestions
-Clear Program information & My Planned Recordings
-Clear & delete everything: It will clear everything from the box such as “Series Links”, “Thumbs Up” and “Thumbs Down” ratings, your recordings, parental controls and suggestions. This process may take about an hour to complete.

APPROVED: 24 May 2016 10:52 by MILKO
Message 41111.10 was deleted
To: ALL11 of 12
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
To: alia (ALIAGRACE) 12 of 12
And?