LogMeIn Gives a Few Hours Notice That The Free Option is Going A

To: ALL1 of 12
I had just signed up for the free version this week and was surprised when I got an email earlier today (1/21/14) that effective (1/21/14) the free account is no more.  You have 7 days to purchase a pro subscription or tough shit.  The blog post announcing this is being destroyed by angry users.

I realize that providing a free product like they did has to cost some money and I'm not upset with the decision to drop the free option, what I am pissed about is the blatant disrespect for their users by giving them a one day heads up.  And also last March they stated in an email "LogMeIn Free is and will remain free"

This almost seems like they are taking advice from Verizon Wireless.  The options went from a free account with 10 computers to a $30/year account with 2 computers.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)22 Jan 2014 10:58
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 12
I used LMI ages ago when I wanted to access my MegaCorpUSA laptop (which was bloody heavy) from home. Then we got lighter laptops, and LMI became irrelevant.

But it does seem like a pretty shitty way to treat people, promising one thing then reneging on it.

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 3 of 12
It is a bit odd that they had to do it so suddenly. Like, that's never going to go well from a PR view. We use it quite a lot at work, but so much so we subscribed sometime last year anyway so I think we're OK.
To: milko 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 4 of 12
Yeah I can't blame them one bit for wanting to charge for the product they produce, it's all about the way they went about it.  And I'd say that's why 99+% are fucked off at them as well.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)22 Jan 2014 16:37
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 5 of 12
All I can see is that if I were still of one of their non-paying customers I'd be jumping ship too. It's just a pity that it's too late to sign up for a free account simply so I could then storm off. That would've learned 'em, but now they'll never know.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 6 of 12
Massive PR fail. The smart thing would have been: 'you may continue using the service for free for 6-months (or 3, or 1), and if you sign up now we will give you an x% discount on the first year'. Or have some kind of crippleware or adware free version.
To: ALL7 of 12
I use teamviewer, hopefully they're not next.
To: Radio 8 of 12
I want to switch to them anyway but even the paid corporate version limits you to three concurrent sessions. Weird limitation, stops it being much good even for our small corp.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)22 Jan 2014 22:13
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 12
Indeed. If that's the way they're gonna treat their freeloaders, they don't deserve to have any! :Y
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 10 of 12
Beta testers, more like.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Jan 2014 08:59
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 12
It's been a helluva long time in beta then! :Y
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 12 of 12
Everything is always in beta.