Server 2000

To: ALL1 of 12
Does anyone have a copy of Server 2000 hanging around, or know of a download source I'd be able to access from work?

I need to rebuild an old Exchange 2000 server to restore some emails from an LTO tape from 9 years ago. :(

To: graphitone 2 of 12
Any particular version?
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 12
Either server or advanced server would do. It'd need to be service pack 4 too, just to have the consistency for the backup restore.

There's always Jim, but can't access his files from work, so might have to have a look tonight instead.
To: graphitone 4 of 12
Trying to download one from Jim but lack of seeds/tracker seem to be an issue.
To: ANT_THOMAS 5 of 12
Got the download in the PM, cheers dude.

Will try it and let you know if it works. (pray)

To: graphitone 6 of 12
When you're done just say.

There's another one downloading if that doesn't work but it's very slow.
To: ANT_THOMAS 7 of 12
Downloaded the ISO from that link you sent - thanks.

Will try it out tomorrow in virtual box to make sure it works.
To: graphitone 8 of 12
IIRC a registry hack converts W2k to server 2000 (which I have, might even have server squirelled away somewhere). Probably Google it 
To: ANT_THOMAS CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 12
Thanks Smiffy. However:

Ant - the ISO works, and gives a choice as to what version you want to install on boot.

I just need to figure out why the hell this server is refusing to see any hard drives now. :C
To: graphitone 10 of 12
Can't see a drive over a certain capacity (8gb?) without an 'overlay'?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 12
It's an old server we've had in storage for a while, everything fires up ok, but I think there's something wrong with the SCSI card in there - all the drives were attached to it and while it was working fine a few years ago it seems to have given up the ghost now. I've put the array on the onboard SCSI controller and it's picking the disks up, so I'm formatting away (as they're not the originals) and hopefully will have something to show for it this afternoon.

I did try putting Server 2K on an IDE disk in there, hoping to bypass all the SCSI nonsense, but though it'd install to the drive on a reboot it wouldn't pick it up. The farce that passes for a BIOS on this HP doesn't show the drives you've got attached and has some very strange boot order options.

It's detecting the drives ok (1 x 72GB and 4 x 32GB) when I'm firing up the server install, I've chosen the one I want to install on, got rid of any spurious partitions that existing before, so fingers crossed it'll work.  :-Y
To: graphitone 12 of 12
Quick update - got Server 2000 rebuilt and Exchange 2000 on there with Backup Exec 10d. I've inventoried and catalogued the relevant tapes and have got the years old mailboxes back off. This flies in the face of the advice our support company gave us, which was that we needed the exact versions of all the service packs, hotfixes and patches, a full AD restore and countless other stumbling blocks along the way. 'Course I could've stumbled on the exact config in the build I made, but I don't believe I'm that lucky. However, we have a few happy members of staff. :)

Thanks for the help guys.
EDITED: 12 Nov 2013 17:09 by GRAPHITONE