Website stuff

To: af (CAER) 15 of 28
Thanks for all that. The text was taken straight from her current website. In my opinion, and it's a bit awkward recommending some of the changes, or giving advice, it's too rambly with too much text. Needs simplifying, not so many pictures, not 5 pictures of one cake.

I think, rather than remake the website in proper HTML, I'll help her design a better site on Moonfruit, at least for now. The V6 editor, HTML 5 instead of Flash has some mobile site stuff so that'll help too. Currently anything without Flash gets a page that that looks nothing like the site. Black and white with the text and images randomly amongst it. The Facebook link was probably copied from the old site and not turned into a link yet.

I was quite excited about getting a website that I designed up and running but that's not gonna happen yet I think.
EDITED: 17 Sep 2013 20:31 by CHRISSS
To: af (CAER) 16 of 28
"Try to really limit the marketing-speak to stuff that's actually useful"

While that may well reflect how you and I view marketing (stupid frippery that just gets in the way), it may affect other people very differently. People don't actually need cakes, and it's not like they're rare or anything. There's plenty of competition, ranging from other bakers to cake mixes and cakes at the supermarket. If you're going to sell them, you probably have to /sell/ them. If marketing was completely ineffectual on everybody, it wouldn't exist. So yeah, people of the cake-buying tribe actually do care about fluff.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 17 of 28
Personally I prefer the text I wrote at http://hhhjjj.moonfruit.com I was having a play with their new editor. Who needs marketing speak?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 28
There's a difference between meaningless fluff nonsense, and actual marketing. I'm not saying to be completely literal and stick only to facts, but the text has to contain some useful information.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 19 of 28
I thought it was going to turn into a Buba-Shrimp story. I left a little disappointed but overall I approve of your approach! 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 28
:D Unfortunately I don't think she will go with that sort of approach :(

Been playing with some designs on Moonfruit. My favourite so far is http://pigglypoo.moonfruit.com which I think looks rather nice. Needs work and the pictures in the middle don't look quite right.
EDITED: 18 Sep 2013 13:11 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 21 of 28
Yeah I think that is pleasing to the eye.  What is moonfruit, a Wordpress like site?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 22 of 28
I've heard Wordpress lots of times but don't actually knoelw what it is. Moonfruit uses a Flash WYSIWYG editor and has some templates you can use and edit. It's a bugger to use though, too fiddly but can produce some nice results. Took me about half an hour to make that from a blank site.

The websites is used to create were all Flash based too but now they have a HTML5 version (still with Flash editor) so it'll work on all platforms.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 23 of 28
Wordress is probably similar except you pick a template and then the content is added by a WYSIWYG editor.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 24 of 28
Like many/most CMS, Wordpress uses a javascript-based WYSIWYG editor, TinyMCE.
To: ALL25 of 28
I didn't actually do anything about this but I've been having a fiddle over the last couple of nights (YJ) to see what I could do. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.
http://cakes.chrishigs.co.uk for anyone interested.

I like my Cake Maker. Still needs some work and I still hate CSS.
To: ALL26 of 28
Some questions:
*With my Cake Maker on the prices page, if I added lots of options, different colours, etc. (I'd also need a different interface or it would be far too long) would it be best to have a static image for each combination, or is there some way to dynamically build an image for each combo.

*How do I do mobile stuff?

*Is it safe to put email server username and passwords in a PHP file for the contact page?

*What other questions was I going to ask?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 27 of 28
Just a thing or two I noticed:

The Tier 1 option on your cake maker has a borked link to the image. But you probably know that already.

Also, this:

Quote: 
My work is always carried out to the highest standard with your cake specifications at the heart of each and every project.

Should have a comma in it after 'standard'.

I quite like dusky pink. :)

EDITED: 17 Sep 2015 16:49 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 28 of 28
Yeah, I have noticed that bug. I've made a quick fix which sort of works. Only works properly the first time but at least it's not showing a missing image now.

I'd quite like to reword all the text at some point. Dusty pink is better than a dusty cake.