Dell Appassure

To: ALL1 of 21
Hello good peeps of teh. We are looking at upgrading to BE2012 from BE 2010 (I know I know, I inherited this site and all its short falls) and the pricing is out of this universe. For our small site we are looking at around £20k in licenses and addon's!

We get pretty good discount from Dell and was pointed towards their Appassure software which will be a major saving. I have never heard let alone touched this software and was wondering if any of you good people out there have used it before?

From the blurb it looks on par with BE (perhaps not Netbackup) no word on pricing yet.
We current have disk to disk to take with backup exec 10 but its not playing nice with sql 2012 sp1 or sharepoint 2013 so we have the need to upgrade to get the support also!

Cheers in advance.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 2 of 21
No idea what BE is or Appasure or Netbackup. HTH! Sorry.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 3 of 21
BE = Backup Exec?

The interface/UI in 2012 is horrible. Still works, just takes a bit to get your head around.

We've recently gone VMware and Veeam so only using BE for belt and braces off site stuff.

Edit - reread that this morning and realised that it helps about as much as Milko's post. :|
EDITED: 13 Sep 2013 07:56 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 4 of 21
No worries thanks anyway!
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 5 of 21
 :-)

Let us know which you go for, I did a bit of reading on the AppAssure stuff a while back, whatever was in it didn't sway us from Backup Exec, can't remember the reasons now, but a big one might have been because it's from Dell. :C

They've have also taken over ScriptLogic, and made their site a bastard to navigate.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 6 of 21
I went from Backup Exec 11d (which was clunky as fuck, but at least I understood it) to Backup Exec 2012. I detest this newer version, it just doesn't ever seem to backup properly and I have no real way of telling why.

Let me know if whatever you end up with is any good. Only reason I stuck with Backup Exec was a "better the devil you know" reasoning. Wished I'd gone elsewhere now. We're Dell'd up to the nines too.
To: PNCOOL 7 of 21
I used to use netbackup which is the big daddy of BE. That is great best backpack software I know of but the price is astronomical!

Gonna trial the Dell stuff next week along with system center pdm.
To: PNCOOL 8 of 21
To be honest, I used Backup Exec 2010 after ARCServe and the difference is impressive. In that ARCServe has one of the most awful, confusing, complicated and difficult GUIs on the planet. After that, BE felt like a breath of fresh air! Not tried the later versions mind you...
To: Dave!! 9 of 21
I've just looked at the screenshots of Backup Exec 2010 and it looks like a slightly polished version of 11d, so yeah, that GUI is pretty easy to use.  2012 pretty much changed to match the likes of Microsoft's ribbon menu system.  I hate it.
To: PNCOOL 10 of 21
Ahh! So I'll tell my Symantec reseller to go and fuck himself the next time he suggests an "upgrade" then. Thanks for the warning! :-)
To: ALL11 of 21
So, dragging this out of its comfortable grave, any further ideas on what to use for a handful of servers? Might end up having to implement something at work too.
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 12 of 21
Microsoft DPM if you're an MS shop may do the trick. And, uh, licences aren't software enforced...
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 13 of 21
I don't know if you've taken the plunge with a backup solution yet, but I've just had an email from Symantec about a trial for the upcoming release of the new Backup Exec (2012 R2).  I've been telling people on here that I don't like 2012, as it sucks and works completely differently to the old versions.  Well not only do you get to trial the new version before it's out, they list some of the features which include them adding the "Job Monitor" section back in and also you can now back-up multiple servers with just one job.  That's pretty much going back to ways of the older version and would probably stop me hating it as much.

The trial can be signed up to here: https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=082D2918EC924087AA1F7FB1AE66B8E6

To: Dave!! 14 of 21
You might not have to go and tell your Symantec reseller to go and fuck himself now, Symantec have made Backup Exec 2012 R2 more like the older versions.  See my post above.
To: PNCOOL 15 of 21
Probably going to look at DPM now. Fuck symantec and their over inflated prices for agent addons.

Hello btw, all well I hope?
To: ALL16 of 21
Hi All,

I just surfed in when googling on AppAssure. We're a support company in Scotland and are moving all our customers over to it. We like it because it pretty much just works. There are a couple of gotchas to avoid, but nowhere near the headache of other products - I wouldn't class BE as a competing solution - just a problem that seems to lingering like my current manflu. Any questions on AppAssure let me know.

Cheers J

http://www.certum.co.uk

APPROVED: 11 Dec 2013 17:18 by MILKO
To: ALL17 of 21
Oh, how exciting!  I am betting it's an ad for kitchens!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 18 of 21
Amazingly not! Still kind of spam I suppose, but sufficiently well targeted, non-salesy and polite that I think it's OK. 
To: milko 19 of 21
Appassure has certainly put the ass in our apps, for sure!

(Actually, turns out that we're already one of Certum's customers, and they've mostly been OK, as far as I'm aware - I have nothing to do with the bits that they do.)
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 20 of 21
Further interactions with spammers - they dropped a Christmas gift basket of goodies (food goodies, not networking and virtual server goodies) into our office yesterday, and I've just had a cake from it for my breakfast (hey, it's Christmas!). It was a big Black Forest French Fancy thing, and very nice it was too.

Therefore, I totally endorse this product or service.