Hand of Thief

To: ALL1 of 4
I guess there's a new trojan that is actually targeting Linux this time!  Has it gotten to the point to where the scumbags start trying to exploit it like Windows?  I'm not naive enough to say, or listen to those people who say this OS or that OS can't get infected.  These things are all done by people and people make mistakes or overlook things, or don't think something will be an issue.  It pretty much comes down to safe browsing habits and if you don't have those you could probably get infected regardless of the OS! 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 4
This is why I don't do online banking.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 3 of 4
It's a remote control tool rather than a trojan-as-such. It requires social engineering at least cos you have to get the target person to actually install the thing themselves. But yeah it's interesting that someone's making a commercial product like this to specifically target Linux with it being such a relatively tiny 'market'.

There are virtually no viruses for Linux because virtually no one uses it (on the desktop) :Y

But yeah, Linux is without a doubt more secure than Windows (vulnerabilities, when found, get patched very quickly and the underlying architecture just has a better security model). A file executed by a user would have a much harder time on Linux doing anything to the base system. But yeah it could quite easily trash/get access to anything your account has access to. i.e. all your online banking details :Y

And yeah, anything run with root privileges can do anything it likes. I run with passwordless sudo, for example, so you could trash my entire system with a one line bash script if you could get me to run it.

If you took all the people who currently run Windows and switched them to Linux overnight, a week later most of them would be infected with sommat, without a doubt.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 4 of 4
That last sentence is what I was going to point out.  Someone who uses Linux has to be (IMO) more technical or at least willing to learn.  Every mom and pop have a Windows PC.  They are they type of people who freak out when the IE icon moves or changes causing them to declare that the internet is gone!