Would you rather...

To: ALL1 of 104
Take a bullet or be beaten to death by meat cleavers?

Remember, meat cleavers don't kill people, people kill people!

And... They'll take my meat cleavers when they pry them from my dead cold hands!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 104
I am disgusted with what has happened and I think it's crazy that immediate action has not been taken. If I was there at the time I would grab them with my bare hands and beat them to death, but I would torture them prior because they dont deserve the easy way out. Disgraceful acts, I feel deeply saddened by what that poor soldier went through and how his life was taken.
I hope they get what they deserve.
To: Bee-beeyay 3 of 104
I agree.  My snide point was it doesn't matter if you have guns or not, if you intended to kill someone that's what you're going to do.  Sometimes being killed with a gun is actually a more humane way to die!
To: ALL4 of 104
Just to warn you both that I don't think this thread is going to go great, on here.
To: Bee-beeyay 5 of 104
quote: Bee-beeyay
I am disgusted with what has happened and I think it's crazy that immediate action has not been taken. If I was there at the time I would grab them with my bare hands and beat them to death, but I would torture them prior because they dont deserve the easy way out. Disgraceful acts, I feel deeply saddened by what that poor soldier went through and how his life was taken.
I hope they get what they deserve.

Define "immediate action"? Police turned up, armed police turned up, attackers got shot for their troubles and are now in hospital, under Police guard.

Because we generally regard ourselves as a step above savages, we tend to ask the Police to skip the torturing, beating and executions.

EDITED: 23 May 2013 13:54 by HERMAND
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 6 of 104
Take a bullet or be beaten to death by meat cleavers?

Remember, meat cleavers don't kill people, people kill people!

And... They'll take my meat cleavers when they pry them from my dead cold hands!

You're probably going to hate this, but carrying around a meat cleaver for no good reason is already illegal over here :) Had they been stopped before, it's highly likely they would have been arrested.

EDITED: 23 May 2013 13:51 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 7 of 104
I know, I was just playing devils advocate.  My point was and is, if you intend to kill someone you can do it without owning a gun, and in most cases the victim will suffer far worse.  Yes I know guns give you the ability to kill multiple people far more easily than a bat or knife or whatever, I'm just pointing out that if the intention is there it will happen regardless.

*I didn't start this thread to belittle what happened, it's horrible and senseless. 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 104
I'm really not sure what you're point is, though. Given enough motivation, I could kill my boss with a pencil, so by that logic, we may aswell be able to keep Hellfire missiles in our boot.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 9 of 104
My point is guns get a bad rap. 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 10 of 104
Because they kill a whole bunch of people, are designed for one purpose (Yes, some are for hunting. A 9mm Glock is not, and neither is an AR-15) and do it rather efficiently.

I think most people in the UK are happy with our limited-gun lifestyle. Ill admit, in the interests of fairness, that I'd own a gun if I could because I've enjoyed target shooting and marksmanship in the past. But, I'd rather few people get to own guns, even if that excludes myself. And certainly not automatic assault rifles, because I really can't fathom a non-law enforcement/military requirement for them.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 11 of 104
My point is/was regardless of gun ownership, if someone intends to kill you, and I mean seriously kill you, they can and will. And I'd rather take a bullet to the mullet and have it instantly kill me rather than be beaten and suffer.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 12 of 104
You're rightm there's no arguing that - but why does the fact that, given enough effort someone can kill you anyway, mean we should legalise firearm ownership? And why should I be allowed to own an AR-15, but not, say, a mortar? Or an RPG?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 104
What a strange question. Do we have to sit quietly and let it happen? I'd opt for the cleavers if not, since it gives me a rather greater chance of escape than some bullets.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 14 of 104
Well, in all actuality - around these parts anyway - you just don't know who might have a gun on them. That acts as a deterrent.  Do you think those guys would have accomplished what they did to that poor soldier had he been carrying a 9mm or a 45 on him?  Of course they certainly might have still killed him because even people who carry guns get killed, jumped and can't defend themselves, stuff like that. But I think in most cases you would have a better chance with a gun than without.

I agree, sorta, about the assault weapons. It's so ingrained in us that we think we have the right to own any type of gun.  I have friends who do shoot those types of things just for fun, so I can't say they have no purpose other than to kill, but that's their main purpose. I also have friends who own 50 cal. What is the purpose of a gun like that? Shooting a tank? Fucking crazy gun! But we are allowed to buy them so we do (not me, us in general).

I think if you stop and think about it, unless you're being silly, you can see the difference between an automatic weapon and a mortar or bomb or missile.  
To: milko 15 of 104
Yeah I don't know why I even thought about it.  When I heard it on the radio I just thought about how horrible it would be to die that way.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 104
If that deterrent thing is true, why are there so many murders in the USA? Psk, this thread won't work.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 17 of 104
Agreed on that! I kinda hope he was dead just from the start where they apparently ran him over with their car. 

Fucking weird in all ways - crowds of people stood around in the aftermath while the two waited for the police to show up, just milling about. And that incredibly brave woman talking to them... whole thing is just surreal really.

It's not a good neighbourhood, Woolwich. 
To: milko 18 of 104
There are a lot of murders all around the world. People kill people, that's the point.  People were being stoned to death or racked long before guns.

Sorry, it was just something I was thinking about.  I didn't start it to piss anyone off.
To: milko 19 of 104
People are fucking insane.  I just wish we could get along.  How hard is it to live and let live? The idea of having to kill someone because they have different ideas than you is something I will never be able to understand. 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 104
I think part of the problem may well be that there's too many of us.

If we thinned out the population a bit then there'd less people around who'd want to do any killing. Also people would be more spread out. It's hard to kill anyone when you're 5 miles away from them. Unless you own mortars.

Seriously though, it's a hideous thing to take the life of another person, and responding by wanting to maim, torture and kill those responsible is equally reprehensible. Foregoing a debate on the death penalty or capital punishment, you can't just take a life for a life. S'a vicious circle innit?