Media-player-me-do

To: ALL1 of 42
I've just formatted my Windows drive and upgraded to 64-bit, and I'm currently in the process of reinstalling all the essentials. Does anyone have any strong recommendations for media players?

I used Winamp for a long time and loved its media library management (which is important as I have almost 80GB of music, over 10,000 files (sorry Xen (not really))). I don't quite remember if Winamp started acting a bit slow and buggy or if I just got bored of it, but at some point I switch to using VLC then Foobar and both were good but not quite as versatile as I liked about Winamp. Ideally I'd like something very low-impact as I like to play music while doing lots of other things but library management is a priority, as mentioned.
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 2 of 42
VLC for watching videos.

Otherwise I think I've only ever used WinAmp for music but I don't listen to music on any PCs anymore really so not even sure if I have WinAmp installed on this laptop.
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 3 of 42
I still prefer Media Player Classic (specifically the "Home Cinema" version) over VLC

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/
EDITED: 19 May 2013 18:23 by MATT
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 4 of 42
I'm a VLC man, with Media Player Classic as backup for the weirdest formats or formatting cock-ups
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 5 of 42
I use VLC for video, just can't beat it. For music I use Google music thingy these days cos I love being able to access my music from any device and I fucking adore it not using any disk space ^___^

But I don't have much music so I don't have to pay. For desktop I never found anything better than Winamp, sadly.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 6 of 42
Is it worth worrying about using the Google Music thing with music that you may not have necessarily paid for? Asking for a friend, obviously.
To: patch 7 of 42
As far as I'm aware it doesn't care and neither should you. You could've easily bought the CDs and ripped them.
To: patch 8 of 42
What Ant said, it seems to not care. It's fine with the many MP3s I legitimately ripped from CDs I bought.

I also like that it's a number-of-files (20000 files allowed for free) limit rather than a gigabyte limit. The limit on individual files is 300mb. So it's also cool for uploading podcasts I'll want to listen to again but otherwise forget about/forget where I found.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 9 of 42
I haven't been able to use it properly because it still doesn't title match my collection and insists on uploading all my music which kills my connection. The Music Manager also seems to be fucked in that whenever I try and untick the start on boot option in gives me some error and always starts on boot. So my server will reboot (annoyingly) when updates get installed and I'll forget that it has happened and wonder my internet connection is fucked.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 10 of 42
Desktop music apps are completely shit, all of them. I use iTunes because if I have to use a shitty desktop music app I'm at least going to use one that works with my iPod properly. But it's so shit. Did you know there's no now playing type screen? There's a keyboard shortcut that takes you to the currently playing track in your library, and there's a drop down menu thinger that shows you what's 'up next', but there's no way to just simply have a screen up showing you what's in your queueueueue :|
To: ANT_THOMAS 11 of 42
Is that on Linux? I couldn't even get the Linux client running, wouldn't authenticate for a stupid reason (something like it uses the MAC address of the ethernet card (won't use wifi) to uniquely identify the PC, but it looks in the old eth0 location and won't look in the new location). Works fine on windows for me though. But then, yeah, I don't have much music so I just left it overnight and it was done.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 12 of 42
Yeah, they are all shit really. They just all try to do too much for me. I don't want something that does music library stuff or whatever, I just have a load of MP3s in one folder. All I really want is play/pause, shuffle and volume.

On Linux I used (before I started using Google Music Thingy) mpd which is just a command line daemon thing. Was perfect really.

edit: that was supposed to be to Kossie.
EDITED: 19 May 2013 23:43 by X3N0PH0N
To: koswix 13 of 42
Do you mean for songs that you have queueueued up yourself? Winamp had that last time I used it, pressing J brings up a little window with it in.
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 14 of 42
This is true, but iTunes doesn't.
To: koswix 15 of 42
In that case, can you guess what my suggestion would be?
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 16 of 42
Replace a shitty piece of software that at least works with my ipod with a shitty piece of software that doesn't?
To: koswix 17 of 42
I use winamp to sync with my iPod and it just works - though that's all I do. Are you trying to do something else with it?
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 18 of 42
Nope Windows.

It finds about 17000 songs to upload and I think it's done about 9000 but I'm not sure if any of those were matched or that they have all been uploaded. I keep meaning to look into this then get bored when trying to find a solution.
To: graphitone 19 of 42
The plug in was really flaky last time I used it. I couldn't work out how to mark audio books as audio books either (so that the iPod remmbers the playback position and skips them when shuffling music)
To: koswix 20 of 42
That's cleverer stuff than I use my pod for.

Does iTunes support having multiple books/positions in them on the go?