Where is the software installed?

To: ALL1 of 10
I am interested in using this forum software, but the FAQ's section of the beehive project website is blank.  How do I get more information about setting it up?  Does it go on my laptop or on my VPS?
To: Conrad 2 of 10
http://sourceforge.net/projects/beehiveforum/files/

Try there. The latest is 1.3.1 .
EDITED: 3 Mar 2013 18:01 by CYBATRON
To: Conrad 3 of 10
You would generally install it on the server of your hosting, so yes your VPS is the place to install it.
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 10
Thanks.  So if I download it, it will first be on my laptop.  Will it come with instructions as to how to load it to the VPS and get it running?  Will it conflict with any other things on that server?
To: Conrad 5 of 10
The CFN has a VPS with Linode, running CentOS 6.3, and with the various member sites we host, we use a good bit of different software, including cPanel and a WHM, and we haven't any issues. I think we host 2 member sites using Beehive with Ajax chat, and a 3rd planning on coming online in the next couple of months. Thus far no problems, and if you do find a glitch somewhere, you let Matt know and he's on it like a 3yr old on a lollipop. :)

Are you looking to have a forum or forum system? If you're just looking to have a forum, and you're not sure about the managing a system end of things, you might want to consider finding a Beehive forums hosting site. Some even offer chat services to go with the forums.

As far as installation, download to your computer, then upload the zip file to your VPS. We uploaded ours to a folder named upl, then extracted the files there and copied the included forum folder over to our public_html folder. Create your database for your forum and a database user. We use MySQL. After that go to http://www.yoursite.com/forum/install and the auto installer should take care of the rest.

Since the inclusion of an autoinstaller, installing Beehive is a breeze. :)
EDITED: 6 Mar 2013 11:54 by CYBATRON
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 6 of 10
quote:
if you do find a glitch somewhere, you let Matt know and he's on it like a 3yr old on a lollipop.

Hey, I resemble that remark :)

Glad you mentioned uploading the zip file. Far too many people try to unzip locally and push all the files up and then proceed to have problems because their FTP client doesn't transfer everything correctly.
To: Matt 7 of 10
In the beginning, I did it a time or two myself, then discovered it was just easier to upload the zip file with cPanel's upload and use it's extractor. Worked perfectly. Didn't even have to use my FTP. Been doing it that way ever since. :)

I only use the FTP if I'm doing a lot of stuff and don't feel like messing with cPanel's upload limit of 12 things at a time.

While I've got you, I wanted to let you people are starting to drift over to the new set up and the HTML toolbars disappeared again for some reason. We've done the dump cookies, clear history, etc., tested a couple different accounts, and they just seem to be gone for everybody again, and editing posts is still pitching a fit. I'll pm you a copy of the error log.
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 8 of 10
Thanks for the advise!  I am tied up with taxes right now, but will be getting back to you when I have a chance to try this out. 
To: Conrad 9 of 10
You're welcome. :)
To: Matt 10 of 10
Haha, that's a great line!  I think it should be your new signature!