Web-Email-Client-Me-Do

To: ALL1 of 55

I think I've asked for something similar before, but I'm going to ask again. Or even for a better solution to my problem.

I have a number of email addresses on a couple of domains. I use Thunderbird for them. Lets say it's about 10 email addresses.

I currently just RD into my server that is running Thunderbird and handle them email addresses that way, but surely there's a better way?

What I want is some sort of web interface for the email client.

I have considered moving the domains/email addresses over to GMail/Google Apps but that means having multiple accounts/addresses and then multiple windows/tabs for each account.

I want a single window/tab with all my inboxes listed like in an email client. I can't use IMAP onto my hosting because there's not enough space to host all the emails, it needs to be something I can install on my local server and access via that.

Does anyone know of anything that does anything like this? I can't be the first person who wants to do this.

To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 55
You can host multiple domains with a single Google Apps account! I use the same account for my domain and for beehiveforum.co.uk and .net.

There is a limit for the number of domains, but I'm not sure what it is.
To: Matt 3 of 55
But can I check each inbox in one window? Without having to define labels?
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 55
They all go to the same inbox for me. Didn't do anything special to get that to happen. Emails sent to any of my domains all go into the same Inbox.

To be able to send email using the domains, I seem to remember I had to approve each user@domain, but that works the same way adding an alias does in non-Apps Google Mail.
To: Matt 5 of 55

I see. I don't want them in the same inbox. I want separation between the inboxes. I want something similar to Thunderbird but in Web form. Moon on a stick?

Maybe Gmail will do it to some extent and I need to fiddle.

To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 55
Oh right, gotcha. Labels and rules it is then.
To: Matt 7 of 55

I thought it would be.

It's probably the sort of thing that once I've sorted it and set it up I won't have an issue with. Need to setup some extra email addresses to give it a whirl before I take the leap.

To: ALL8 of 55
Afian looks interesting, but isn't free.
To: ALL9 of 55
Or maybe I could move all my email addresses over to GMail/GApps and use something like Roundcube.
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 55
quote:
Moon on a stick?

Yep, given that it's something I want too, I think you're out of luck. :(

(Unless of course someone wants to pay me enough to work full-time on creating this.)
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 55

I'm going to give a few things a try this week. Zimbra Open Source being one of them, along with Roundcube.

I think I'll have to have the actual email addresses hosted with GMail though because a lot of the solutions I've found are basically just IMAP frontends.

To: ANT_THOMAS 12 of 55
Don't bother with Zimbra. Unless things have changed drastically in the last year, it's quite painfully slow to use.

That roundcube looks good though.
To: Matt 13 of 55
I'll try Roundcube first then. I didn't hold much hope with Zimbra since the bulk of dev would obviously be for the version they sell.
To: ALL14 of 55
Since I can't easily remote login to my home system and GApps isn't free anymore I'm going to try and give Roundcube a go, but that means upgrading my WAMP install which is very old and looks like a pain in the arse to migrate to a newer version.
To: ANT_THOMAS 15 of 55
WAMP, WTF?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 55
I know. It was from my first venture into having my own webserver, many many years ago and I've never managed to get rid of it because it works well but it seems because I've not bothered to upgrade for so long that I can't anymore to the newer versions, or at least it'll be a total fucker to upgrade.

I want it to be quick and I don't want to fuck up my MySQL databases.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 55
What are the specs on the hardware? Maybe convert it to a VM and run ESXi under it, then you could develop a LEMP/LAMP while still running the other?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 18 of 55
I was considering adding another VM or upgrading my existing ubuntu VM because I didn't install an LTS version (fail) but I think I still want my stuff hosted on windows.

I'll have to check if port 8080 or similar is open at work and maybe adding another VM to play with roundcube.

Hardware is AMD E-350 CPU on an AsusĀ E35M1-M PRO motherboard. Thankfully that CPU supports AMD-V so Hyper-V VMs work well.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 55
RoundCube installed and I don't think it'll do what I want since it is basically just an IMAP front end.

I'm happy(ish) to use RoundCube as my frontend but I need something running in the background to download the emails and store them for RoundCube to access.

There definitely needs to be an email client that has a web interface.

PB: I'm guessing you didn't ever find anything to do this?
To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 55
Nope. :(

Though given Google's continual fucking with Gmail and general insidiousness, I really would like something that'll let me escape.