GIMP

To: ALL1 of 75
Does it really have to be so stupid, shit and hard to use?
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 75
Ditto for Photoshop :Y
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 3 of 75
I can draw a fucking arrow in Photoshop without installing a bastard plugin.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 4 of 75
GIMP is all the bad bits of Photoshop, with several handfuls more thrown in besides, along with a sprinkling of things that can only have been done deliberately to cause annoyance.

The thing that makes it all so much worse is the fucking retards that think it's remotely good, and thus doesn't need to be thrown away and replaced.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 Dec 2011 18:06
To: ANT_THOMAS 5 of 75
It's not called the gimp for nothing! :Y
To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 75
Paint shop pro FTW!
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 7 of 75
:) Not used that since version 8 or so.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 8 of 75
I wanted something free. Paint.net is shit too.
To: ANT_THOMAS 9 of 75
Well go try everything in the two right hand columns here and report back:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors
To: ALL10 of 75
Actually, I just went through that list, removed anything that didn't have critical functionality, and then counted how many "Yes" entries each software had and sorted descending.

The first non-proprietary package comes in at 6th, and is Krita - not one I've heard of before, it's "digital painting and illustration software", so isn't focused on photographic features.

Annoyingly, that's not the only catch, there's also this one:
quote:
For Windows and OSX we currently do not provide binary installers, and building on Windows or OSX is difficult. (Which is why we don't have binaries for you.)

:(

The next free one on the list is Paint.NET, which is shit.

After that comes Pixia and mtPaint which both look even worse.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 Dec 2011 21:53
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 75
So, the answer to your challenge to Ant is: don't bother!?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 12 of 75
Yeah.

Unless there's any items listed on the top bit that aren't in the comparison tables, which is possible.

Also, I found this, which is a little bit of fun:
http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/

Here, I drew you a rabbit:
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 Dec 2011 22:37
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 13 of 75
That is soooooo /sweet/, that you!

In return, I offer you a pizza ('cept I wasn't sure what topping you'd prefer):
Attachments:
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 14 of 75
That either looks like a pepperoni pizza (FFS! Why haven't I set my keyboard repeat delay to the minimum setting yet?) or a black hole pizza.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 75
Not really. They're both very complex programs and neither has really solved the problem of presenting a shitload of shallow tools to the user effectively. As a new user, neither would be easier than the other to use.

Photoshop is just as bad, we're just used to it. I get equally annoyed using both and I've been using PS for years.
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 75
Photoshop is only £657.60, and it comes with a three-year learning curve at no additional cost. Enjoy!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 17 of 75

I suppose you want your money back? I think it's quite excellent, and didn't find it terribly hard to learn. Yes, it's different from Photoshop, and in several ways inferior, but it does probably 70% of the stuff I need to do, for free. I have photoshop free edition anyway, if I can be bothered booting into windows for it (mostly, I can't).

If photoshop is all you know, and you don't want to learn anything different, then stick with it.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 18 of 75
No, Photoshop is not just as bad.

I'm not used to it, because I encountered them both around the same time, have dabbled with both, yet don't use either.

I have never been able to do anything useful with GIMP.
I've tried plenty of times, both willingly and because it's been the only thing available, and any initial optimism I had has been repeatedly chewed up and spat out.

When using Photoshop, there was initially a question of unfamiliarity with the menus/etc, but now I know software in general better and graphics specifically, I can usually work out where things are, and use it sufficiently.

Still, I've used it relatively few times, and PS Elements hardly ever, but you could put either of those in front of me now and assign a task and I could get it done in a reasonable time, whatever it might be.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't get annoyed with it doing things in a stupid way, but at least I could actually get it to do stuff.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 19 of 75
Why are the only people that advocate using GIMP Linux users?

After all, if it's free and so awesome, why don't Win/Mac people also use it?

Answer: BECAUSE GIMP IS FUCKING SHIT!!!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 20 of 75
I don't use Photoshop. Or PS Elements.

I use Paint Shop Pro.

Unfortunately, Corel are stupid and have fucked up the last few versions of it, so I can't upgrade.

Which means I'm stuck with buggy text functionality, and don't have support for newer graphics formats, and Windows switches to ugly-mode every time I start the app, and so on.

So I'd like to find something to replace it, but nothing I've tried has been satisfactory.
Which means I'll probably wind up eventually getting Elements for newer functionality and using PSP when I need proper layers and masks and stuff, which will be a huge annoyance.