Eff You in the Effing Face, Nero

To: ALL1 of 17

How bloody BLOATY is Nero these days? I was looking for a program that would let me join a few videos together so downloaded a Nero trial, assuming there'd be something in there somewhere.

I couldn't find it and ended up using a neat little program called Free Video Joiner.

Now, coming to remove Nero from my system, I can't just uninstall it once, I have to go through every one of the 3489057389534985 component parts and uninstall each one.

Fuck you Nero!

To: ALL2 of 17
Ah, I've just discovered removing Multimedia Suite removes the whole lot. Hurrah for small mercies.
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 3 of 17
I have a file association somewhere that makes an error pop up every time I open a folder containing images that tell me Nero cannot be found (cos I deleted it)

I have been through all the various places file associations are stored etc, even tried software to clean up / remove stuff
To: JonCooper 4 of 17
Yep, it sucks. After I removed Multimedia Suite it was still showing some other apps in Control Panel, tried removing them and kept getting the error "You can only do this for applications you have installed" or something equally silly. I think/hope I've got rid of it all now, but it took a few reboots and a lot of angry clicking and shouting.
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 5 of 17
:@ It's people like you that encouraged Nero by using it for something other than burning disks that turned it into the abomination it is. Nero was great back in t' day.
To: Mouse 6 of 17

Does anybody here use Nero as their CD/DVD burner?

Just curious. I've got nothing against it although I haven't used it for years. It just seems that the free alternatives - ImgBurn etc. are so good there's no point.

Sorry - thread hijack over.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 17
As if any thread ever stays on topic.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 8 of 17
I haven't used Nero for years. The main thing I used to use it for was writing files to CDs (either as a backup or for transporting files) and burning ISO files. I've replaced the latter with ImgBurn and the other I've not had a reason to do for a long time.
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 9 of 17
Yeah Nero used to be my #1 burning app. Then they decided that they should include every piece of software known to man in there.

I now use the built in stuff in 7 and server 2008 to burn ISO's and data discs.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 17
I used to, and I also liked their divx -> DVD program, can't remember what it was called now. Not used it.for years, though.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 11 of 17
It also installed its own video/audio filters which I'm sure took over from the default ones. Too much crap in the end so I haven't installed it for a long time.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 12 of 17
Yup very much bloatware these days!
To: william (WILLIAMA) 13 of 17
I've got it installed on a couple of pc's, and use it very occasionally for burning cd's and dvd's (mostly I use Brasero, because mostly I work on linux). For that it (nero) seems ok, haven't tried all the other rubbish that comes with it (and I generally only install the minimum set to begin with).
To: JonCooper 14 of 17
That sounds more likely to be a shell extension than a file association.

Have you tried something like Autoruns to see what shell extenstions are configured?
To: Richy (GAJIT) 15 of 17
that found 22 references to nero :(

I think it was hiding in some codecs

let's hope it's gone now, thanks
To: JonCooper 16 of 17
\o/
To: JonCooper 17 of 17
Cool, glad it helped :)