Does this piss anyone else off?

To: ALL1 of 205

1. Go to Google.com
2. Search
3. Hit your down arrow to scroll down the page.
4. Get that stupid arrow next to the results instead of the page actually scrolling down.
5. Get very pissed.
6. Post in Ranter's Corner

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 205
tell you what pisses me off, when it says something like "you can''t possibly mean what you typed, so we searched for something similar but entirely different instead - use this link to go to the results you actually asked for"
To: JonCooper 3 of 205
That pisses me off, but not as much as when they don't fucking tell you they've done it, and just search for something entirely unrelated to what you're asking for. Sometimes even if I do "term" or +term.

Oh, and when I do +correctterm -wrongterm and it says "did you mean +wrongterm -wrongterm I really want to punch the fucking idiotic retards responsible for that.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 4 of 205
Yes. It pisses me off, even though I use page down or scrolling myself, because it's so arrogant of Google to constantly make changes like this and not give people any say in what they want. And because so many other people just accept it and assume Google know best when they blatantly don't.

I keep trying to get myself to switch to DuckDuckGo (ddg.gg) because it actually lets people configure how they want things to work.

Although, for the specific thing you dislike - navigating results with cursors instead of scrolling the page - you have to disable all the keyboard shortcuts for that.
But they also allow you to send in feedback which they do actually respond to, so if you like the rest of the site see if they might support configurable shortcuts.
EDITED: 21 May 2011 16:21 by BOUGHTONP
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 5 of 205
It frequently catches me out, but I do like the page preview you get.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 6 of 205
What I hate is when you're typing in the search box, and realise that you typed something wrong. You use left cursor to go back and correct your error, only to find that Google noticed that what you were in the process of typing matched a popular search pause, so decided to autocomplete the text for you, even if it's not what you wanted.
To: ALL7 of 205

So much hate...

...so much hate

:'S

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 205
No that doesn't really piss me off. Losing the best part of the day - again - to a migraine is what pisses me off.
To: mr_swayzee 9 of 205
It's good for us to get it all out!
To: johngti_mk-ii 10 of 205
That would probably be quite annoying as well. Hope you're doing better.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 11 of 205
Thanks - its eased off now thanks to two doses of ibuprofen and codeine plus a maxalt melt wafer. Time to go back to the quack, maybe get something better than beta blockers to control them.
To: johngti_mk-ii 12 of 205
Glad to hear it. Pain sucks! I've had a terrible two days with arthritis and back pain. Far worse than any I've had before. Makes me want to just curl in a ball in the corner. None of my meds are working to ease it either.
To: JonCooper 13 of 205
That reeealllly annoys me, aye. Although I kinda have to concede that it's usually right, it's usually me having made a typo and I'm grateful when it catches it. But when it's wrong it still really irritates me for some reason.

As does all that inline searching, inline complete etc. I don't care what other people have searched for but I often want to repeat searches with the exact same wording. And the newer image search is horrible.

I know I can turn all this off with settings and url strings and so on but it'd be nice if they just had a 'google classic' interface with all this stuff turned off.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 14 of 205
quote:
but it'd be nice if they just had a 'google classic' interface with all this stuff turned off.

This! Turn all the shit off and let me know it's available. I am a big boy and capable of turning shit on if I want it on!

I also find the spell correction part very useful. My spelling is usually horrific and I appreciate the Goog's help on that. But it's not perfect and sometimes typing in IT terms or industry specific terms confuses it.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 15 of 205
I don't mind it being on by default. I expect people who are new to google and first encountered it like this probably prefer it like this, which is probably most people who use google. It's probably much more convenient on mobile devices too, which surely makes up a significant proportion of usage now.

But yeah, a simple way to have all of it switched off would be nice. And yeah, I'd rather the corrections to my typing remain as a "did you mean" link rather than assuming I meant it (despite the fact that they're usually right).
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 205
Shit that sucks mate. Have you been given anything that helps?
To: johngti_mk-ii 17 of 205

I have some meds that help sometimes. Other times nothing helps.

I have to get cortisone shots in my back. I was supposed to get them Wednesday and they decided I should try physical therapy first.

The thoughts of a needle near my spine is frightening, but being in pain everyday almost makes up for it.

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 18 of 205
My dad has chronic arthritis in his back and hips not helped by 50 years of building work and lifting heavy patients as a paramedic so I kind of know what you're going through. Nothing much helps him either - tramadol can take the edge off it but the side effects aren't great! Hope you get your cortisone injections soon!
To: johngti_mk-ii 19 of 205

Thanks!

There's something to be said for having your health!

To: johngti_mk-ii 20 of 205

>>tramadol can take the edge off it but the side effects aren't great!

As demonstrated by Frankie Boyle :|