SatNav reviews

To: ALL1 of 80
Why do so few of them show what the map display actually looks like in use? :@

Almost all of them just show the same standard promo pics, or pictures of the menu, which I don't give a shit about. I want to see what the display looks like for 90% of the time I'll be using it.

RAAGAHGH :@

Also, can anyone suggest a good satnav? This one is apparently quite good but I'm not fond of TomTom map displays - they seem a bit cluttered and fussy to me.
To: af (CAER) 2 of 80
tomtom works fine for me. I'm kinda switching to using the google nav on my phone these days, but I've not fully committed to it yet. It's got free traffic routing and info plus gives you a street view shot when you arrive... but it's not as clear about info and making diversions to avoid stuff as Tomtom is.

It *is* funnier though, because the text is computer-speak instead of recorded, and comes up with some excellent pronunciation of roads.
To: milko 3 of 80
Heh, my /recorded/ sat nav has some interesting pronunciations of names round Scotland. Presume Wale's would be similar, too :D
To: af (CAER) 4 of 80
I'm with Milko. I've switched to using my phone and Google Navigate.

I do have this unit and if there was a cheap enough way to get it to you I'd make you a fantastic deal on it!
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 May 2011 18:28
To: af (CAER) 5 of 80
Like Milko, Fiona has a TomTom and it's fine. Unlike Milko, she can put her hands in her trouser pockets.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 6 of 80
I am sure Fiona is lovely but I'd feel a bit weird putting my hands in her trouser pockets!
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 May 2011 19:17
To: milko 7 of 80
So would I. With two snot-nosed (but adorable) kids in tow you never know what you might find. :/
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 80
The Garmin ones do look quite nice, especially the fancy ones, but the pronunciation of road names like A5132 would annoy me constantly - the Garmins pronounce that "Ay five thousand one hundred thirty-two", which is just wrong. They do have nice map displays though, although still not as clear as my old (and broken) Navman S50.

Can't do the phone thing either, as I don't have a nice phone :(

Consensus seems to be TomTom (and from what I've been reading, the GO LIVE 1000 appears to be well-liked) so I'll give it a go - maybe there's an option to change the map colour scheme, or maybe I'll (!) just get used to it.
To: af (CAER) 9 of 80
It's a sat nav. Does the colour scheme really matter? :S
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 10 of 80
That's rich coming from you dear.
To: ALL11 of 80
David Cameron can't call a women "Dear", but Psycho Geezer is allowed to call Pete "Dear". Is that all clear?
To: Mouse 12 of 80
As clear as a fresh stream (the water type not the online media type)
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 13 of 80
If it helps map legibility in high-stress situations, then of course it does.
To: ALL14 of 80

Y'know after reading this thread, I'm starting to think there's a little of PB in all of us. :')

I'm having mine surgically removed next week. :C

To: koswix 15 of 80
Can your SatNav handle Broughton Steet?
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 16 of 80

Never had to use it to get there - although i suspect it says it wrong.

The one that sticks in my mind is always Jodpurs for Jedburgh :D

To: af (CAER) 17 of 80
I tried a few different ones, but finally settled on a large chinese jobby from DealExtreme.

Linky

Yeah, it's the US version, with outdated maps, but it comes with iGo 8 and the maps are easily obtained. I replaced that with iGo Primo 1.2 and it works really well. I also enjoyed fannying around with various CE applications and addons.

If you find the right files, iGo will accept either Navteq or TeleAtlas maps, supports terrain elevation files (for 3D maps), configurable POIs, replaceable voice files (including Text to Speech for reading out street names).

The only real downside is that the screen is hard to see in bright sunshine, and the battery only really lasts for around 2 hours unless its plugged in. Still, it's only around £50.
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 18 of 80
6" screen 8-O

And what's the map display like in use? Can you provide pictures? :D Is it smooth? My Navman was kinda jerky, but the video review of the TomTom GO LIVE 1000 showed that one as being pretty smooth. I bet these things would look much nicer with some actual 3D hardware, but hey.

Not really bothered about battery life tbh, as it's only really gonna get used in the car.
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 19 of 80
I've been tempted with some of the DealExtreme Windows CE knock offs. Can't you stick TomTom on some of those too?
To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 80
I got an ebuyer value one for about 30 quid, and then TomTom accidentally fell of the internet onto it.