Barclays Online Banking

To: ALL1 of 23
:@

Last week I ordered a new PIN Sentry thing, which finally arrived yesterday.

Now I'm trying to login and it's not letting me use that - it's asking for the fecking 5 digit passcode which I haven't used in years.

And if I ask to reset that it's going to send it via post, because a piece of paper handled by multiple people over several days is clearly more secure than an SSL encrypted connection!

JUST LET ME USE THE DAMNED PINSENTRY MACHINE THAT YOU MAKE ME USE TO DO ANYTHING USEFUL ANYWAY YOU STUPID IDIOTS! :@
EDITED: 20 Mar 2011 19:56 by BOUGHTONP
To: ALL2 of 23
Oh. :$

I may well have been getting one digit wrong with my ID number thing.

Still, at least if I want to break into someone's account, and know that they use pinsenty, I now know how to determine if I have their ID correct or not. Hooray for security! :/
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 23
I wear my Pinsentry round my neck like a medallion.
To: Mouse 4 of 23
You don't wear medallions (or a pinsentry) round your neck. You hang them from your neck, but it's the necklace/cord/ribbon that goes around your neck, not the medallion. :@

In any case, I want a photo of that.

ALSO, go tell me what to do in my mobile thread, since you've bought nearly every single Android device there ever was so must be an expert. :P
EDITED: 20 Mar 2011 23:35 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 23
What/ever/ Pete. Get the Desire HD.
To: ALL6 of 23
I'm so glad I bank with HSBC. None of this card reader, pin number-generating shit everyone else seems to have to use.
Message 38300.7 was deleted
To: Al JunioR (53NORTH) 8 of 23
If you rob it, can I have some of the money? :D
Message 38300.9 was deleted
To: Al JunioR (53NORTH) 10 of 23
Tell him to get his own bank, this one's ours! :@
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Mar 2011 12:59
To: PNCOOL 11 of 23
Yep, and all that online hackage loveliness is yours, all yours.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 12 of 23
Yeah, people hack in to my online bank account constantly, just because I don't have one of those shit calculator-looking but not actually useful like a calculator pin-generator things.

I don't really understand how it makes it any safer? I have a unique account number to log in, and then it'll ask me for my date of birth and 3 of the characters from my passcode. I can do that anywhere I like, without needing to remember to carry about extra shit with me.
EDITED: 23 Mar 2011 18:59 by PNCOOL
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Mar 2011 19:32
To: PNCOOL 13 of 23
quote: PNCOOL
I don't really understand how it makes it any safer?

(Nor do I, but it's whizzy technology that all the hip dude bankers are using)
To: PNCOOL 14 of 23
It requires that the person logging in physically has the account's card with them.

If you have spyware on your PC, the owners of that can copy the information you send and then use that to login with and transfer money and stuff.

This makes that far more difficult (maybe impossible) because they would need the physical card (and pin number) to login with.

It's also used sometimes for online payments - again, it means that the bank can be more comfortable that the payment is being made by someone who possesses the physical card and knows its pin.

It's certainly annoying having to carry the thing around to do (useful) online banking, but I can see why the banks do it.
To: ALL15 of 23
For NatWest you don't need it for logging in, you only need it (from what I can remember) to set up a payment. So I can add a payee to my account and need the card reader to do that, but I don't need the card reader to make the actual payment, I don't think so anyway.
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 23
With Barclays, you kinda (kinda, because I think you can still get in without, but it's preferred that you use it) need it for everything. You should've seen me the other day when I needed to pee and I didn't have it with me :C
EDITED: 24 Mar 2011 12:27 by NUKKLEAR
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 17 of 23
I love it when its the emphasised words that are wrong :D
To: Dan (HERMAND) 18 of 23
Damn it...
To: ANT_THOMAS 19 of 23
quote: ANT_THOMAS
For NatWest you don't need it for logging in, you only need it (from what I can remember) to set up a payment. So I can add a payee to my account and need the card reader to do that, but I don't need the card reader to make the actual payment, I don't think so anyway.

Wot you said plus you need it to change payee details and some payments will always ask to use the reader.

I have three monthly payments I make with NatWest, one never needs the reader, the other keeps changing the payee reference so I need the reader (to both change the ref. number and make a payment) and the third always asks me to use the reader.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 20 of 23
What does PIN stand for Peter? What did you just say then? (wrong)