Home made VMWare

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 41 of 45

I had a look around the site, its pretty impresive what they have done to get users up and running. I now have a Fedora 14 install problem to work out, it keep freezing on install. I might download the ISO again.

I think I am going to run these OS's on mine:

XP sp3
WIndows Home Server
Small Business 2003 (just for playing around with)
Fedora 14
Unbuntu 10

Probably only run max two at a time until I get more ram.

No all I need to do is get power and network in to my loft.

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 42 of 45

>Fedora 14 install problem to work out, it keep freezing on install.

Does it get almost to the end, then hangs on a 'doing sumpin to the file sytem' message ?

This happened to me in virtualbox until I boosted the size of the virtual disk to 10G and memory of the vm to 512MB. Then it went fine.

After the installation & first boot, I reset it to 384 and it seemed to work ok, Anyways I went ahead with a bare metal install and deleted the vdi for disk space after.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 43 of 45
It fails to boot at all after the first menu, just hangs, no cpu or disk activity at all.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 44 of 45
I find virtualbox usually lags a few releases behind the latest linux kernels and/or xorg builds, so I was surprised I got it working at all. Dunno about vmware. Here's a prebuilt Fedora 14 vmware image you could try.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 45 of 45

Actually, if you want to try oracle's version of opennotsolaris with zfs goodness, that's just out too. You may hate oracle, and with good reason, but recall opennotsolaris was also opennot under the sun regime.

I'm booting it into virtualbox and indeed contemplating a bare metal install too.