Apache and Perl and MySQL: confusion

To: ALL1 of 17
Hello :O

I am trying to wean myself off World Of Warcraft and instead do something useful with my time. I want to learn Perl, Javascript and MySQL.

Since I recently began writing a blog, I've had the mad idea that the best way to learn the things I want is to write my own basic blog software.

So, I installed Apache and Perl, and by following some guides found on Google I have something that works - I can go to http://localhost/test.pl and it runs my Perl program ("Hello world!").

It's the next bit where I run into confusion: how do I bring MySQL into all of this? Even the installation is confusing: it wants to put something in C:\ProgramData as well as C:\Program Files, and then asks me where I want to put my databases. I have my external USB drive as B: but MySQL won't let me pick that. This is a minor issue.

The big issue is how I actually "connect" Apache, Perl and MySQL together. I have a problem understanding it all on a conceptual level - once I get that part it should all become much easier.

And then we can move on to discussing how all this works on a remote server :&
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Aug 2010 12:18
To: af (CAER) 2 of 17
I can go to http://localhost/test.pl and it runs my Perl program ("Hello world!").

No.
quote:
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't help. This is one some of us buy pooters with all this crap installed already.
To: af (CAER) 3 of 17
Why Perl? I mean, it's a bit archaic. Not saying useful stuff can't be done with it, it's a good and that. But I'm pretty sure even a Perl-nut would tell you there are easier/better ways to do the same thing.
To: af (CAER) 4 of 17
What insanity caused you to pick Perl?

quote:
Even the installation is confusing: it wants to put something in C:\ProgramData as well as C:\Program Files, and then asks me where I want to put my databases.

That's correct. Program Files is for the application files, whilst Program Data is for the application settings/etc.
The databases are more user data.

The reason for Program Files and Program Data splitting into two is for security/permissions stuff - remember when certain apps couldn't run without admin user? That's what this solves.

quote:
I have my external USB drive as B: but MySQL won't let me pick that. This is a minor issue.

What about if you do "SUBST X: B:\" - (where X is whatever other letter you'd like to use) - or even "SUBST X: B:\MySqlData\" if you prefer.

I think that will fool it into letting you use that.

If so, you'll need to add the command to a startup script so it runs every time you turn the machine on.
To: ALL5 of 17

SUBST doesn't work - I already have N: set up to be B:\NetShare and the installer doesn't list that either, so either it's ignoring SUBSTed drives, or it just won't let me put data on an external drive.

As for why Perl, well, BOB knows it so if I have problems I can phone/txt/gchat him and make him fix things. And I like archaic. Maybe.

And anyway, if not Perl, then what? (not PHP)

EDITED: 23 Aug 2010 13:12 by CAER
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Aug 2010 13:27
To: af (CAER) 6 of 17
not PHP

Why not? I've kinda (half-)written a bloggy think in PHP/MySQL and it's OK.
To: af (CAER) 7 of 17
Well of course I'd recommend what I use, which is Railo CFML - has a nice easy learning curve and is brilliant in lots of ways. :)

Rendle would probably recommend Ruby, because he uses/likes that.

Python is also popular for web stuff these days.

All these options are modern/active/etc and have plenty of tutorials and help available online, all have good web frameworks available, and are capable of easily creating a blog application, or whatever else you might want to do.

There are other choices too, but I'd suggest picking one of the above (or maybe even check out all three) and see if you like it/them.
Message 37663.8 was deleted
To: af (CAER) 9 of 17
Just so you know, you're not limited to Perl/PHP with that:

http://code.google.com/p/rampp/
http://townx.org/ruby_on_rails_on_xampp
http://blog.chomperstomp.com/installing-python-mod_python-on-xampp/
EDITED: 23 Aug 2010 14:31 by BOUGHTONP
To: af (CAER) 10 of 17
I use WAMP (as recommended on here) to have a nice Apache, MySQL and PHP web server run happily.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Aug 2010 15:41
To: ANT_THOMAS 11 of 17
But for some, as yet unexplained, reason Mr Zobu eschews PHP.
EDITED: 23 Aug 2010 15:42 by MR_BASTARD
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 12 of 17

Well he's silly.

I've made quite a few things with PHP and MySQL now that serve a few useful purposes, blog stuff, databases etc.

I would build my own system for my TKD site but it's not just me adding news so I went with CuteNews because it was very easy to setup and it's easy to use for the non-techy types without being overkill.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Aug 2010 20:10
To: ANT_THOMAS 13 of 17
Agreed, I've done some fairly useful stuff with PHP, but perhaps there's some specific facet of Perl/PHP that he likes/dislikes. I cannot imagine what that would be though (shrug)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 14 of 17
Actually, it's easy to imagine what it might be: PHP is fucking ugly, with all those damned $dollars, under_scores, arrow->operators, and the silly paamayim::nekudotayim.

Or it might be that nobody cares if you know PHP (since it's so commonplace), and he wants something that might be found interesting instead of mundane.

Or maybe it's because it has a silly name and recursive acronym and is too many sylabulls.

Or, like, who cares. Life is too short to worry over whether someone picks PHP or not.
To: ALL15 of 17
I am a great fool.

It's actually Python wot Bob knows (and recommends). I don't know why I got it confused with Perl.

So anyway, I installed Apache again, then Python, and I think I installed Pylons properly. The welcome page showed up on localhost:5000 anyway, and Paste seemed to be doing something.

So! I think I'll get to grips a bit more with this whole Python lark first, then maybe make something useful :O
To: af (CAER) 16 of 17
If you want a framework with it check out django...
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)24 Aug 2010 12:24
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 17 of 17
PHP is fucking ugly

And you're an oil painting? :?
nobody cares if you know PHP (since it's so commonplace)

By the same token, there's plenty of help readily available.
he wants something that might be found interesting instead of mundane.

Your suggestion of CF (or derivative thereof) indicates a confusion between 'interesting' and 'quaint'.
Or maybe it's because it has a silly name and recursive acronym and is too many sylabulls.

The first sensible suggestion that you've made! :)