Hosting

To: ALL12 of 100
I will chip in extra if it makes Matt happy : )
To: ALL13 of 100
Someone do something that entertainingly grabs my attention on Monday evening and make me remember to see what we've got in the Amazon referral bucket? I think I might struggle to know when I'm measuring from so also tell me when we last raided it if you can. I'll work it out otherwise though.

Apart from that, I'm game to try this Linode thing. I am seeing it as: we do this thing for fun. If Matt can have more fun by having a Linode server than he can a EuroVPS then let's do that. If that also means some other people can do stuff with it (maybe even us? what could we do?) then great. So I'm in favour of that idea, doesn't seem like it'll be much of a price jump when it's split between a bunch of us.
To: Linn (INDYLS) 14 of 100
Same here.
To: ALL15 of 100

What would be the situation with being able to offer hosting to Teh users if we move elsewhere?

I'm happy to put my bit in regardless but I pay about £30/year for my hosting (nethosted) and if whatever package we're looking at would cover a few users uses then I'd much rather give that £30 extra towards the server costs. Just a thought.

(That package is basically 250MB storage with 5GB bandwidth)

To: Matt 16 of 100
The EuroVPS renewal order has come through (yes, for 7th October).

So, have we confirmed that the plan is to not renew, and switch to Linode late September?

If so, I'll need to get them to cancel the renewal, and attempt to get the €125 credit returned.

But before that we'll want a complete backup, copied off server, in case they don't understand the "don't renew" part, and kill it immediately.

Are you able to get the backup done now?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 17 of 100
Yep. All backed up and downloaded*. You may go tell them the "bad" news.

*Hooray for Remote Desktop to home.
To: ALL18 of 100
Any views on my suggestion of using the new server for Teh users hosting? (paid of course)
To: ANT_THOMAS 19 of 100

I've just signed up to Nethosted for a bunch of additional hosting, but I'd happily swap over as soon as is feasible. However, we ought to take care to avoid saddling any of the possie with a sort of accidental server support role.

Madmodbankerscum>> Incidentally, I'm happy to chuck a brick into the hosting coffers as soon as or sooner than required. What's the account details? Is it Paypal?

EDITED: 8 Jul 2010 11:52 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 20 of 100
I agree with not saddling someone (Matt or Pete I assume) with a server support role but I can't remember the last time I contacted NetHosted. As long as I have CPanel access like I do now then I'll be a happy bunny. I just think it's an extra way to fund the server.
To: ANT_THOMAS 21 of 100
I agree completely. BP would be an even more curmudgeonly support than the average professional anyway. His only saving grace would be that he actually ran on the server.
To: Matt 22 of 100
Ok, though going to be this evening (11pm+) before I get time.

Will post here again when I've done it.
To: ALL23 of 100
Ok, ticket created:

quote:
Hi,

The Order document for next year's subscription has just been created (EV27909S), but unfortunately we will be letting the subscription expire when we reach the end of the current hosting period (7th Oct 2010).

(Since the current EUR exchange rates are not in our favour, so we can get better value with a UK-based host.)

Could you please set the subscription to not renew and also make a payment for the current credit on the account (€150.44) to me?

Thank you,

Peter Boughton

Hopefully that's all clear and they'll give us the ~£125 back.

Will post again after any significant responses.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 24 of 100
Quick update...

Auto renewal is off, and we're still here, so that's good. Hosting expires 7th Oct, so we've got 3 months (I've set myself a handful of reminders for nearer that time.)

EuroVPS are trying to weasel out of paying the credit note. When it's not so hot (so Sun/Mon), I'll write a reply telling them we won't accept excuses; they owe us money.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)10 Jul 2010 08:49
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 25 of 100
Tell 'em we'll send the bumliffs 'round!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 26 of 100
Peter

When you say "EuroVPS are trying to weasel out of paying the credit note" what do you mean?

I assume they haven't replied "Dear Peter, your request duly noted and the account will not be renewed. If you could possibly see your way clear may we keep the money we owe you?"

Or have they?
To: william 27 of 100
Not quite...
quote:
Unfortunately we cannot refund the credit notes in HSPc accounts

...is all they've said on that - though they haven't closed the ticket, so currently more dragging feet than refusal to pay.

If the HSPc software doesn't let them, they can go talk to the finance dept and do a manual payment instead.
EDITED: 10 Jul 2010 14:57 by BOUGHTONP
To: ALL28 of 100
Ok, haven't responded yet, and wouldn't mind people checking what I'm planning to send:
quote:
Hi John,

Thank you for disabling the auto-renewal option.

Since you cannot refund via the HSPc accounts, please confirm that you can repay the €150.44 owed via a manual payment (e.g. bank transfer) and I will supply suitable details for this.

Thank you,

Peter Boughton

Which is in reply to this:
quote:
Dear Peter,

We have turned off the auto renewal option for your subscription 4736, tehforumnew.customer.attikh.net as per your request.

Unfortunately we cannot refund the credit notes in HSPc accounts.

Thank you

Best regards,
--
John Abraham

Is what I've written ok, or can anyone suggest a better response?
EDITED: 12 Jul 2010 19:23 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 29 of 100
What is an HSPc account~?
To: koswix 30 of 100
HSPc is the software used: parallels.com/products/hspcomplete

I'm not sure if "accounts" is a specific admin part of the software, or if it just means generic "user accounts".
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 31 of 100
what's the credit note for? It seems a reasonable opening gambit. If it's just that we've more credit paid on there than needed so far then I doubt they have a legal leg to stand on.