Alexa and Ask.com

To: ALL1 of 13

Forgive me, for I am old and foolish, but how long have we had the eponymous new 'members' on Teh (plus others), cunningly contrived so that clicking on them opens the appropriate (or inappropriate) websites?

I feel displeased about it in a somewhat po-faced way. Can I dismiss them from the forum stats who's-who-whose-here listing?

EDITED: 20 Aug 2009 12:57 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 2 of 13
We've had Bing and Google for a while, and apparently Cuil and Gigablast as well. :S
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 3 of 13
I'd never even heard of Cuil before. It is of course a homonym for Cul, the French for cunt, which seems apposite.

I just don't like them all being pseudo-members (unless it 's some part of their spidery site logging, in which case I will begrudgingly accept them).
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Aug 2009 15:22
To: Manthorp 4 of 13

Hmmm, I thought 'con' was the French for 'cunt'. But there you go, you can't trust the French, they're all cunts.

The new members is all part of their spideryness. I seem to recall Matt explaining it to me bloody ages ago, so I've forgotten the details :(

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 13
In that case I won't write to my MP about it.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 6 of 13
Con is the French for cunt. Cul is more literally ass or arse, depending on your slang preferences, but the differences when used in swearing are ambiguous as in, "A nice piece of cunt" versus "A nice piece of ass".

L.H.O.O.Q.
EDITED: 20 Aug 2009 18:30 by WILLIAM
To: Manthorp 7 of 13
They've been there sodding ages. Something to with that spidering malarky, as i understand it.
To: Manthorp 8 of 13
They came around 0.8.2 I believe, maybe a little after.

Been discussed on here in at least two threads (possibly more, but my memory is giving only a couple right now).

As has been stated, their presence coincides with that spider having visited recently - probably in the past fifteen minutes (as is the case for members).

I haven't tried, but perhaps the word filter would work on them - allowing you to disappear or format as you prefer?
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)20 Aug 2009 20:31
To: william 9 of 13
I'm just happy that I out-cultured that culture fag. Him and his lah-de-dah sophisticated airs, it's all a bloody con.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 10 of 13
You said con (giggle)

It's not a Goethe moment for Mr. M. There is a certain flexibility about the term cul depending on how it's used. It means 'end' as in cul-de-sac and it could be used in expressions to mean cunt - just not as often as con.

By the way, my French isn't especially good, I just have plenty of French nephews and nieces so my exposure to swearing in French is quite high.
To: william 11 of 13
I was reasonably confident of my ground, cuntwise, largely as a consequence of a charismatic, liberal and rugby-addicted French teacher in secondary school. He knew and was happy to share with his students a wide vocabulary of pardon-my-French epithets that he had picked up on the touchline.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 Aug 2009 09:45
To: Manthorp 12 of 13
We had a French exchange student teacher, who spent one lesson teaching us some of the more 'interesting' and 'useful' parts of the language.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 13 of 13
We had a French exchange student teacher, who spent one lesson teaching us some of the more 'interesting' and 'useful' parts of the language.

How to say 'strike'?