More open source and stuff

To: ALL1 of 5
So, the support for JRuby on Google AppEngine is improving, and I like Ruby much, much more than Python, so I'm doing the first website part of my project in Merb (cos Rails's opinions are unwelcome on GAE).

Found a lovely gem called jruby-enginize which creates Merb or Sinatra sites all pre-configured for GAE, with rake commands for test running and deploying and everything. Lovely.

Except, fucking sudo on Ubuntu has its PATH variable hard-coded into it, so it couldn't find the gem or rake commands or anything. I've ended up having to rebuild it from the source with the PATH-y option turned off. Stupid Ubuntu.

All working now though.

And Ruby is a seriously nice language. It's just... right.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)14 Aug 2009 20:43
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 2 of 5
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 3 of 5

Yeah, Ruby's good. I've been doing a spot of work on one of our Ruby projects at the moment (after months and months of Java) and it's all wheeee! Although I did make myself all confused trying to write a mixin module that had a 'static' member variable for each class that extended it. But then I wrote things with Procs and felt all clever again, so it was fine.

Today I'm doing Java again, though. Sigh.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)18 Aug 2009 13:14
To: Rowan 4 of 5

Don't you just hate it when those statics start mixin it?

I know, "hate" is such a /strong/ word, but sometimes one has to use strong words to emphasise the gravity of the situation, don't you agree? There's no room for weakness when the situation is grave. And this is just such a situation. A grave one. One that calls for strong words.

Yes.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 5
(giggle)