Google IO / HTML5 Keynote / Wave

To: ALL1 of 56
The Google IO conference keynote for day 1 covers a lot of interesting HTML5 topics.

The whole thing is a series of 10 minute YouTube videos, starting at #2 (the first is just a very long intro with random animations).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02WB4dRGGH4&feature=PlayList&p=41F4CEB92D80C4B7&index=1

Once you get to the stuff on Google App Engine and Google Web Toolkit, that part is all a bit meh - skip to 02:30 of #9 for some Android sneak-peek stuff.

There's also a day 2 keynote covering Google Wave, which may or not be Google's attempt at re-inventing email or twitter or something else ... I'm off to see if there's a video explaining what it actually is.
EDITED: 30 May 2009 16:48 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 56
quote: Engadget
but here's the gist: a "wave" is a chat session that enables you to send messages live, with each word being transmitted live -- no more "person X is typing" messages (don't worry, that can be deactivated momentarily / permanently with a "draft" button). You can also add others to the wave, drag and drop images for instant transfers, and share documents for on-the-fly edits (with all the participants working simultaneously, mind you), and get this... it does real time translation. So hot, and the crowd is in an uproar over this. The "waves" can be played back to see the conversation evolve / documents edited dynamically.
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 56
Thank you, I'd found some videos but still nothing concise like that.

Does seem interesting, although not quite as revolutionary as first hints implied. :(
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 56
Watching the vid, it looks pretty interesting.

I mean, it's nothing new in a big way, it just takes lots of existing practices, puts them in one place and does them really really nicely.

Like, it could replace Forums, Facebook, Email and IM in one go. Which is good, because they're all just "talking" really.

S'interestin for sure. Watch the vid.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 5 of 56

Video wasn't ready when I last checked, but it is now.

The whole 'fractured' nature of the different communication tools is something that pops into my head and swims around every so often, but never gets anywhere useful, so will be interesting to see what they've come up with.

Anyway, back in an hour and a bit. :)

EDITED: 30 May 2009 11:35 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 56
I really like this thing. Want to play with it.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 7 of 56
Yep. The various descriptions on the web don't do it justice - watching the video has got me rather excited about the potential, and I want to go play.
EDITED: 30 May 2009 12:56 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 56
I've signed up for the 'notify me when I can join' thing. Does look reet interesting. It'll succeed or fail on how it feels to use and I'm interested to give it a try.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 9 of 56
Yep, I've signed up to that, plus applied for the developer sandbox one too.

I just hate this waiting part of it. It's almost like they're torturing us. :@
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 10 of 56
(hug)
To: ALL11 of 56

So it's a combination of an email client, Sharepoint and an RSS aggregator? (I'm only halfway through the video so I might not have seen all the aspects of it).

I'm just imagining trying to explain this to people I've worked with; the ones that had problems getting their heads around having to log in to Novell to see the shared drives; the ones who tell me there's a problem with Outlook when we use Lotus Notes.

Also, does all of the Wave stuff have to go through Google's servers? Or does all this stuff about APIs mean that people can set up their own internal Wave servers? Other questions too, but it's too early to get the words out right.

To: patch 12 of 56
Anyone can host a wave server (same as an email server).

And they all interoperate.

And... yeah, it's hard as fuck to explain. Have to see the vid really. And have to, while watching, imagine the potential.
To: patch 13 of 56
I mean, potentially, it's a combination of:

... well, aside from very media rich content creation, everything most people do on PCs. Wikis, forums, facebook, email, IM, office, newsgroups.

I can see this thing being a shell on netbook or iphone like platforms without need for anything else.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 14 of 56

Yeah, I just got to the bit of the video with the two separate Wave systems.

I'm still not sure what to make of it. I doubt it'll replace email, simply because some people somewhere are bound to refuse to use it because it comes from Google, the new Microsoft. For most people I think it'll just be another username/password to remember, and another page to keep open in a browser tab.

Plus there's a good chance that Google will at some point go "meh" and half-forget about it. A bit like Google Docs.

It all depends on what developers can make out of it, I suppose, and I ain't one of those.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 15 of 56

I wonder what the server and bandwidth specs would need to be to host your own system.

And would companies be happy with their employees collaborating with other companies employees, even if they're a trusted partner, if the data has to go through the Google server? There was some mention during the Federation part of the video about private replies and them not going to the Google servers, but I'm not sure whether that was just because the private replies were between two people on the same private Wave system.

To: patch 16 of 56
Also, I wish this guy would stop saying "thank you" as soon as the first person claps. It's like he's prompting the rest of the audience to start clapping, so he can say "thank you" again.
To: patch 17 of 56
I think this one will be a slow burner until someone makes a UI which really takes advantage of it, then it'll become ubiquitous.

I think it will become ubiquitous though. It can't not. It's the first thing I've seen which genuinely looks like the 'next step' for the net.

As for people avoiding it cos it's google, that's not really a valid position (not that that will stop them all) cos it's completely open. A third party could build a wave server from scratch (not just host one but write one) cos the protocol is open as well as the source of their server (I think) and the API. If it goes as they expect then there'll be a good healthy ecology of servers like there are for email, web, ftp etc.
To: patch 18 of 56
You can close off a server same as you can with an email server. It doesn't /have/ to communicate with the rest of the world's wave things.

Resource wise, I imagine it's going to take a lot to run one of these. I know google do clever code but this thing must eat resources. Especially when you scale it up a bit.

And yeah, didn't think much of the (form of) the presentation. "thank you... thank you.... thank you....". Good content though.
To: patch 19 of 56
(and of course there'll be gateways to things like email, so i could be able to email you from wave and to me it's a wave, including your replies etc., but as far as you're concerned it's just an email. So it's not one of those all-or-nothing things which requires both/all parties to join. I think that's a big strength)
Message 36147.20 was deleted