XBMC

To: ALL1 of 17
Just in case anyone was bothered, or didn't know, XBMC has gone into official Beta for Windows, OS X and Linux. There is also a LiveCD available to download if you fancy trying it out without installing.
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 17
Didn't realise they had a Windows version :O

That's so going on a HTPC when I finally get around to getting a HD TV.
To: Matt 3 of 17

:D

I knew there was a Win32 version in the pipeline but thought they were just concentrating mainly on the Linux port.

The PM3.HD skin they've got with the new version in lovely.

Running the new XBox I got hold of on our HD telly and it really does look great with the PM3.HD skin at 720p.

To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 17
Running the Windows version now on this PC to have a play with (Vista Business so no native Windows Media Center), and it's really good. Mouse is a little laggy but presumably it's designed to be used with a remote, if it supports such things.
To: Matt 5 of 17

I'm guessing it will support a remote, obviously the XBox version supports the XBox remote but what makes me think it will is that the Linux version supported the XBox controller without any drivers or messing around.

I had an XBox to USB adapter to use the controllers on my PC and happened to have it still plugged in when I was playing XBMC in ubuntu and the controller worked a treat. I say worked a treat, it worked like it does on the XBox!

To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 17
O_o

All this time, I was thinking that XBMC was just some crappy Microsoft X-Box only software.

Why didn't you tell me it was a multi-platform GPL media centre with lots of codecs and stuff?! :@
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 17

Because if you didn't know about it before and you thought it was crappy and Microsoft, there's no helping you, Mr Preconceived Notions?

It's only just gone multi-plaform now, but it's always been open source (what with the slightly dubious legal status of compiled versions), with a wealth of codecs and stuff. Given the extreme lack of alternatives, Softmodded Xbox + big HD + XBMC = the best way to get a large-capacity media jukebox on the cheap!

To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 17

There's been an OSX version for a while that works really well. All I want is for someone to make a Wii version.

I've got my Wii all homebrewed up, and MPlayerWii plays files from external USB disks... but has no interface. Gah.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 17

What Kenny said, and I assume you've ignored any post/threads that involve XBMC because I've mentioned XBMC for Linux on here quite a few times!!

But anyway, download and have fun!

To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 17
I've seen it mentioned frequently, but not paid enough attention to notice that.

I did download it. Didn't like it anyway.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 17
Well, there's a specific market for it. It's pointless having it on a computer you're sat in front of, but bloody useful when used with a device that's attached to a TV.
To: ALL12 of 17

Full Release version has now been made available.

www.xbmc.org

No longer in Beta. I'll try the Live version some point soon!

To: ALL13 of 17
No longer XBMC though. Now to be called Kodi Entertainment Center, at least from the next version.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 14 of 17
Because when I hear Kodi I think media?  WTF?  Not that XBMC was better but at least everyone knew why it was named that.  Kodi? Really?  The fuck?  Pretty glad I switched to Plex now.  I'd have to punch my own face if I used a product named Kodi!
EDITED: 24 Aug 2014 07:38 by SHIELDSIT
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 15 of 17
It looks like most users concur with your fantastic opinion!  I knew you were the smartest man alive!  Keep up the good work!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 17
I bet a lot of people don't know it comes from XBox Media Center.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 17
And now they never will.