USB Memory Stick Recovery

To: ALL51 of 77
FWIW I had two desktop hdds (apparently) fail in that my pc was rendered unbootable with them (it wouldn't even post), and they made loud clicking noises.

However after I stuck them in usb enclosures they are completely accessible, including all ntfs and linux partitions, and no data was lost. Also, no clicking.

One was a Seagate and the other WD.

I still have them on tap, as backups of all the 'dispensible' stuff I couldn't be bothered to copy over to the replacement. TBH I think my motherboard could have been the culprit moreso than the actual drives. The most recent hdd has been running a bit longer than the other two did, without the issue manifesting so far.

I'm creeping myself out even typing this.  :-@
EDITED: 31 Mar 2015 21:28 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL52 of 77
SpinRite is going really slowly. Been running a couple of hours now and only read about 16MB of 240GB. Gonna take a while. I wonder if it will help though.
To: ALL53 of 77
Fucking /WONDERFUL/!!! :@ I spilled wine over my laptop's keyboard and screen! Luckily only a little bit got between the display and case. Washed the keyboard, gonna give it a bit of time to dry out before using it.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 54 of 77
Have you removed the battery to be safe?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 55 of 77
Came home to my biannual can' t boot grubs hosed and maybe so's the partition table. After the usual ministrations all came up good. Then I nearly drenched the keyboard attempting to pour an ice-choked can of IPA into an ill-judged glass. This ain't even Fri 13th. On the good side I subsequently beat the gangsters in the Dead Island supermarket & picked up an M16-alike for my troubles.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 56 of 77
It does take a long time, that's the dynastat process trying to extract some sensible data from each sector, I had one drive take 14 hours, but I did get the data back though,
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 57 of 77
I tried but it kept slapping my hands away telling me it didn't want to be turned off.
To: Mizzy 58 of 77
At this rate its going to take a few of years. It's still only at 0.1%. Hopefully it'll get past a bad bit and speed up, we will see. I'll be amazed if it can recover something.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 59 of 77
Yes I did take the battery out but no wine on anything critical. Left the keyboard to dry til now and when I plug it in the laptop powers on and off. Either it's still wet or it's broken.
To: ALL60 of 77
SpinRite is taking AAAAAGES. I'm gonna try and image the drive instead. If I do do I need anothrr drive as big as this one or only as big as the used space on it?

Yes, looks like I do to try Dd_rescue.
EDITED: 1 Apr 2015 20:07 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 61 of 77
The removing the battery is to ensure there's no power so nothing can short - should really do it ASAP. (i.e. quickly save any files then forcibly shut it down.

How are you drying it out? I'm sure it was here that I got the bowl of rice tip from - helps to absorb moisture. Though that's more for phones possibly... a laptop would need a large enough bowl/tray and enough rice.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 62 of 77
It was only the keyboard I washed. Luckily it contained the wine and stopped it getting to anything underneath. I took it out and washed it under the tap.

Dried it on a paper towel over night and I've since put it on the radiator for a bit. Might try rice if it doesn't start working.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 63 of 77
What sort of keyboard does it have that you can take it out without a liquid getting anywhere else? Is it one of those detachable transformer ones, or something else?

Also, can you try the machine without the keyboard attached, or does it fail with a press F1 error? :)

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 64 of 77
This one.

I have no way of booting without the keyboard attached because the power button is on the keyboard. I did, however, boot the laptop with another keyboard attached, remove the laptop keyboard and it worked.

And it was only q small amount of wine luckily.
EDITED: 1 Apr 2015 21:36 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 65 of 77
Heh, well hopefully it's just still drying out.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 66 of 77
Just tried it and managed to get Windows to boot. None of the keys worked.
To: ALL67 of 77
Dd_rescue has so far imaged ~25% of the drive. 13MB from the start, 40GB after skipping the first 4GB and 20GB from the end.

It was taken ages trying to retrieve the bad bits but I can skip sections of the drive to find good bits. Fingers crossed I'll get some bits back at least.
EDITED: 3 Apr 2015 11:03 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 68 of 77
55GB now. Not sure what to do with the image to recover boys yet.

First time I ran it it was copying the drive really quickly. It wasn't until the drive I was creating the image on ran out of space that I realised I was copying my SSD to my other HDD. Got mixed up with SDA and SDB.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 69 of 77
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :'D
To: koswix 70 of 77
I'm not used to Linux :(

I think it's actually working :O Created an image skipping some bad areas. Might be some other good bits in between but surprisingly little was unrecoverable.

I booted into Windows, mounted the drive with... something, and currently using GetDataBack on it.