car stuff

To: fixrman 6 of 67
You busy tomorrow? :P
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 67
After 1300 GMT, no. Glad to help. After working on Land Rovers for 10 years or so, I ought to have niggling problem repairs down pat.  ;-)
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 67
A Haynes manual can be helpful, or used to be before the internet.

The best thing I can recommend is to take each problem one at a time.  Use the manual or internet to educate yourself and that will determine if it's a job you feel comfortable taking on yourself.  This is also the best way to learn.  You won't learn anything by having a buddy do all the work, even though we would both prefer that option!  That's how I learned A LOT about cars.  I was so into learning that I did shit that didn't even need done, like rebuilding my braking system.

Fix would be able to help you out too, he'd be like your American Haynes manual!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 9 of 67
I was more hoping for an American Morpheus... :P
EDITED: 6 Dec 2014 13:56 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 10 of 67
I have a pill you can take, but it's doubtful you'll get any work done on your car after you take it!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 11 of 67
:O Pervert!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 12 of 67
 :-@ I didn't realize what I typed could be taken that way!  I hope you have a tight muffler! (yj)  :-$
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 67
They don't come any tighter, ken.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 14 of 67
Must admit I've not used a Haynes manual on a car before, but I've fixed several motorbikes with them. I agree that they are useful, but not a complete source of knowledge. Various times I've looked at an oily photograph in one, scratched my head, then looked at my completely different looking bike in confusion. But they do have some useful bits and pieces in.

I also second getting a decent socket set and a torque wrench. It's not just for ensuring stuff is nice and tight either. Some bolts go into softer aluminium casings and if you over-tighten them, you can shear the threads and then you're into a world of expensive pain. If you torque up according to the manual though, you're pretty safe.

Oh, and get some good torches/lamps as well. They sell battery powered LED floodlights on eBay that are surprisingly bright and very portable too. Ideal for lighting up the underside of a vehicle so you can see what you're doing.
To: johngti_mk-ii 15 of 67
There needs to be a emot guy who has his head under a car tire.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 16 of 67
Let me torque your nuts for you. I have the wrench for it.
EDITED: 6 Dec 2014 20:54 by FIXRMAN
To: koswix 17 of 67
Quote: 
Good quality and won't brake the bank too much.

Oh, good pun!

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 18 of 67
good tools are better than cheap tools  

if you have a problem, chances are someone else already has had the same problem and there will be something online about it, quite often a youtube video

if you have a scrapyard anywhere near you that still lets people take parts off themselves, go there and see how stuff works etc without messing up your own stuff

take photos of everything before you start, then you'll know where it all goes back later on

most colleges will have a basic car maintenance course as a evening class if you're interested

almost all of it is much easier than people think it will be
To: JonCooper 19 of 67
Amen on the tools!  Having the right tool for the job is the biggest hurdle in getting the job done!  It's taken me ~30 years but I have a pretty excellent set of tools, and I'm not even a TV repairman! 
To: JonCooper 20 of 67
I thought you guys over there liked King Dick™ tools...
To: JonCooper 21 of 67
Thanks, that scrapyard idea is a good one, though haven't got a clue if there's one nearby - I suspect they'd be too paranoid about safety/liability. :/

The Croydon College website is crap but afaict they don't have anything suitable. Though I can probably get my dad & brother to help me with getting started over the holidays anyway.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 7 Dec 2014 17:45
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 22 of 67
Not wishing to overthink this, or stand in the way of you and a good grimy time, but wouldn't it just be a damned sight less hassle to take to to a garage?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 23 of 67
No.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 24 of 67
I don't think there's a great deal I can add to what's been said, but, and I hate to say this - are you sure this is something you want to get into?

I find playing with cars to be great fun and a brilliant break to computers, but they can also be endlessly frustrating and it can be easy to get into to trouble. The RAC/AA will not look kindly at turning up to your half taken apart car :D

Other than that, what do you mean by your spark plugs being faulty? Like any component, they CAN fail, but spark plugs generally just degrade - they rarely cause actual issues. More likely to be a coilpack issue if you definitely think it's electrical. The good news is, though, if they're accessible then Spark Plugs are a piece of piss to change but BE GENTLE. If you cross thread them, you've fucked your engine.

My personal top tips:
  • Get a Haynes manual by default
  • Don't believe everything you read in it, or indeed on the Internet
  • Most things on cars are pretty strong and bolts corrode TIGHTLY, you may need to hit things with hammers
  • Get a torque wrench and use it (Especially important for spark plugs)
  • ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ensure you use the right size sockets/spanners. You will ruin things if not.
  • Expensive tools are great, but don't be afraid of cheaper stuff to get started. I still use the sockets from my very first £10 socket set from Wickes 10+ years ago
  • Get someone to help - even if they know nothing too, EVERYTHING is easier with an extra set of hands and eyes
  • Start early in the day - there's no fun in realising you need a tool or part at 5:00pm on a Sunday
  • The mechanics of a car are rarely the complicated and difficult part - it's the rusty bolts and seized components that will fuck you over.
EDITED: 7 Dec 2014 18:30 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 25 of 67
I changed my cat 5 years ago. Would have been a simple job if it wasn't for the rusted bolts. Not having any experience with undoing rusty bolts I tried loads of WD40, hammer on the spanner and a blowtorch. Think I got all but one or two undone and had to drill them out. Was a pain in the bum.

Sparkplugs are simple. Changed mine this year as my car was misfiring and the plugs hadn't been changed in 6ish years. They'd completely worn our, surprised it was still sparking. I should get a torque wrench for next time though.

Next job is the oil filter and oil on Sian's car.