The natives are getting restless

To: Dan (HERMAND) 103 of 189
Quote: 

Star Trek star George Takei has the most popular tweet: "Overheard: "Well, if Scotland votes for independence from the U.K., what's to keep Canada from breaking off from the U.S.?", retweeted over 1400 times.

Hahahaha! Love it!

To: ALL104 of 189
Un-fucking-believable.

I literally dinnae ken.

{{{Scottishes who voted Yes}}}
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Sep 2014 07:43
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 105 of 189
Although it was wrong (IMO) for only a part of the UK to decide the future of the UK (albeit 'their' part), I can't help but feel disappointed for rUK.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 106 of 189
:((
To: koswix 107 of 189
/////// (hug) ///////

(Just have another referendum when Westminster inevitably fucks up/delays/provocatives on federalisation :Y )
EDITED: 19 Sep 2014 08:40 by X3N0PH0N
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Sep 2014 09:06
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 108 of 189
For all your posturing over the rights of democracy, you don't seem to be too fazed that (a) the future of the UK was not decided by all of its citizens, and (b) that in a pathetic attempt to appease the minority, the political leader of all persuasions pretty much sold rUK down the river.

And then you criticise the US democratic process. Odd, no?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 109 of 189
You think the rest of the UK should have had a vote on whether Scotland should be allowed to leave?

I really don't see the logic in that. A contract is an agreement between parties, any party can end it if they are no longer in agreement. When you change phone contracts done on ask for permission to leave your current supplier? I mean it affects them, too.
To: ALL110 of 189
interesting that "Teh" got the result pretty much spot on
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 111 of 189
>For all your posturing over the rights of democracy

Not entirely sure what that means and I don't think I've ever done that.

> you don't seem to be too fazed that (a) the future of the UK was not decided by 
all of its citizens

The future of Scotland was decided by Scotland. Had they voted Yes then the rest of the UK could've decided their own future. What Kos said.

>that in a pathetic attempt to appease the minority, the political leader of all persuasions pretty much sold rUK down the river.

No idea why you think we've been sold down the river.

>And then you criticise the US democratic process. Odd, no?

What's odd about it?

To: fixrman 112 of 189
I'm not sure - there's already a vocal Tory rebellion on granting any more powers, but the risk the Big Three parties run is that if they weasel out of it, the Scottish electorate could swing away from Labour to the SNP, with the SNP taking the position of "the people voted No to independence, but they're still voting for us, so they obviously want something".
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Sep 2014 09:58
To: koswix 113 of 189
You think the rest of the UK should have had a vote on whether Scotland should be allowed to leave?

I think rUK should have had the vote as to whether Scotland should be allowed to stay. The way it was run, only a minority was given the opportunity to vote on the union, and that's hardly democracy. It's all a matter of perspective, init?

EDITED: 19 Sep 2014 09:59 by MR_BASTARD
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 114 of 189
But there was no mandate from that from our parties.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)19 Sep 2014 12:29
To: Dan (HERMAND) 115 of 189
No, they just took it upon themselves to run around like headless chickens, and make promises without discussing with those annoying little proles. You know, the likes of you.

David Cameron, to Alex Salmond: "Take me, take me big boy"
Ed Milliband, to Alex Salmond: "Take me, take me big boy"
The guy from the LibDems, to anyone who'd listen: "bock bock bock"
To: ALL116 of 189
Looks like teh voted pretty much as Scotland did. As others have noted, hardly a win when pretty much half the population is left unhappy. Hopefully the powers that be take note.

edit: bah, Jon said the same - I need to read to the end before posting!!!
EDITED: 19 Sep 2014 13:32 by INDYLS
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 117 of 189
How could you possibly say the all of UK had the right to allow Scotland to secede? That would have decidedly put those favour of independence at a complete and futile disadvantage. Would it have been right to have had a vote in Britain to allow America to dissolve the British rule? I thought it amazing the number of people that were allowed to vote.

I don't see the vote result as a defeat for supporters of independence. This is an historic win for them because the vote was very close. It is a loss for all of the UK however if real change for better Scottish representation does not occur. Not rheteric like we got with Hopey Changy obama, but real progress and real representation for the needs of Scotland.

I am puzzled by this statement by Cameron:
Quote: 
PM: We have heard the voice of Scotland - and now the millions of voices of England must not go ignored.
What exactly does he mean by that? I could take that a couple of ways. I am sure you have a better handle on it over there; I came in way late in the game.

Thank God that the voice for independence did not require a battle as it did with our American Revolution. The Scots are to be praised for their efforts, a wonderful show of democracy in action. The U.S. and many other united nations ought to look at this as a sign that there ia a need to do better, particularly the United States. Our representatives are doing more in self preservation and for their individual states than they are for the good of Country.

The voter turnout is most impressive. The U.S. has never had voter turnout that high, even though we fought a bloody war for the right to do so. In local elections we are lucky to have 40%, national elections perhaps mid sixties (if our statistics are correct which is doubtful either way). Our voters are apathetic, even during polarised elections such as 2008 and 2012 were; a large percentage likely had no idea what they were voting for. When presented with the opponents platform as their own candidates, many were seen on videos as supportive of the opposite position. they voted for a milestone.

Hail to the Scots! May the vote send a message to the UK that the Scottish have voice and are not afraid to use it.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 118 of 189
Quote: 
so they obviously want something".
And I'd say they better get it. As I said a few moments ago, this should be a wake up call to ALL Republics and Democracies that "united" should actually mean something for everyone involved, not just many or most.
To: fixrman 119 of 189
Regarding turn out I think it was particularly high for two reasons.

1. People cared about the result
2. They knew their vote counted

Such a shame we didn't vote in favour of the Alternative Vote here in the UK. Whilst it wasn't the best form of Proportional Representation it was a step in the right direction in terms of electoral reform.
To: ALL120 of 189
Well sheeeeeeiiiiiiittttttt, I was pulling for team yes!
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 121 of 189
Quote: 
And then you criticise the US democratic process. Odd, no?

The U.S. "Democratic" process, for as good as it might be in some respects is exceedingly flawed which is why Lucy crticises it and is quite right in doing so.

Basically in the U.S. we have two kinds of people that are a combination of several factors: voters and non-voters; relatively informed and relatively uninformed; emotional and logical; pro-union (as in labour) and anti-union; and so on.

The categories could be endless and there are commonalities in the combinations that sort of define the typical Democrat and the typical Republican. Where it becomes a problem is when the low information voters use a single issue to define their entire vote. Politicans cater to this and try to appear to be the most appealing to the most number of people on single issues; it isn't as simple as it seems because they have to try to do it in such a way as to not really tip their hand for total support or rejection of a topic. Nobody lays out their entire platform becasue they'd lose votes that way. Then they do as much as they can for themselves to stay in power and try to bribe their constituents with their own tax money in the form of projects.

If we called city inhabitants Democrats in Scotland and suburbanites Republicans in Scotland, that would fairly accurately show how the vote went in America for prezbo. That's why he won, appeal to large population centers. Also, prezbo won much more of the young, idealistic vote (against young idealists voting republican) which is probably similar to the demographic voting for secession. In the Scottish scenario I see their vote as probably more defining and beneficial (potentially) in end results than defeat would indicate. At least I hope so.

To: fixrman 122 of 189
if your wife asked for a separation you wouldn't want to be involved?