Video Card Questions

To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 19 of 34
Based on the info in this thread, I'd take a guess and say your computer will run MoP, but it won't run it very well. The new zones are quite a step up in detail compared to the rest of Azeroth, and in particular it's fairly memory-intensive. You might be ok setting everything to Low, but even then you'll struggle in LFR (if you dare venture into that cesspit) with all the spell effects etc. going off.

The Walmart one you linked will handle WoW easily.
EDITED: 5 Mar 2014 12:24 by CAER
To: fixrman 20 of 34
Don't be sorry. I appreciate people trying to help me figure this out. I really do.

I know this computer handles everything I ask it to do without issue, even WoW. Despite it being so old, the graphics end of it is actually doing very well.

I talked to a few people offline, who I didn't know played WoW but now I do, and it seems it's not ready for Heath Stone. However, they believe it's okay for everything before it. So I should be okay for a while. This gives me time to save up for a better computer that will handle my music and video entertainment, my websites work, writing, etc, and WoW.

My biggest concern at this point was that they were going to do something and I was going to lose what I already had, but the people I talked to offline said they don't believe that is the case. They think I just won't be able to play Hearth Stone until I get a better computer. So I'm guessing a newer, better all purpose type of deal would work well for me.

Thank you again for everything.
Deanna
To: koswix 21 of 34
How do I find out what my power stuff is on this machine?
To: af (CAER) 22 of 34
Well, so far I've got up to Cataclysm. My gnome is only in the low 60s. So I don't think I've nearly gotten through what I've bought yet, plus I have to keep going back through some sections for stuff I somehow missed and gathering herbs for potions.

Of course I'd probably be further if the people with the skulls on their bars would stop popping into places, chasing down my little gnome warlock and killing her. lol I seem to have a gift for running into what I think might be horde raid parties, and they don't like me. lol

If my system will hang on for a while, it'll give me some time to try and get the money together to get a newer one. At one point I was drooling over Alienware, but my financial situation changed. Until it changes for the better, I'd say they're out of reach.

I'm assuming a gaming computer would also do other stuff. Like my music and video entertainment, websites work, writing, etc. I need a system that will handle WoW, but also do other things too. If a gaming computer won't, then it wouldn't work for me.

I need something as all purpose as I can get it. I'm glad to hear the system I was looking at it might do the trick. When it comes to hardware I know extremely little and find it extremely confusing most of the time.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.
Deanna
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 23 of 34
Eek, you're playing on a PvP server? Ouch :S
To: af (CAER) 24 of 34
No. I'm playing on a PvE, but some of the quests require me to go PvP or join a group for awhile to complete them. The only issues I'm having are with the characters with the skulls. I don't know what Pixillian ever did to them, but they sure don't seem to like her. lol

Most of the time I'm just doing on my own stuff. Which is cool, because I can go at my own pace. I get hit with a lot of please join our guild, but I decline them. I haven't heard much good about guilds. A lot of nitpicking and clicky behavior, especially over things like schedules. As for the invites popping up during combat, if they can't be polite enough to wait until something isn't trying to kill her, I don't even read them. lol

I think the server I'm on is Sen'Jen. It was the first one at the top of the list when I first logged on, and it said Normal and PvE. My character is a gnome warlock named Pixillian. Sometimes I think I should have picked something with longer legs, but I do have to admit, since she learned how to fly, I'm saving a fortune in gryphon fees. lol
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 25 of 34
The skulls don't necessarily mean 'bad', it just means that thing is more than 10 levels higher than you. Possibly the PvP people are showing up on your server because of this cross-realm stuff where certain areas are merged between servers. If you're on a PvE server then you shouldn't be attackable unless you actively engage with them, i.e. deliberately hit them. You can see if you're PvP flagged by the little Alliance shield icon near your character's health bar/portrait.

I'd definitely recommend joining a guild, but generally avoid the ones that just spam invites out to anyone. Sometimes you get lucky (I did, once), but usually it's best to ask around, look on the WoW forums at the guild recruitment pages. There's guilds for every kind of player :) If you were in the EU you'd probably fit into the guild I'm in :) FWIW, there's an option somewhere in the Interface Options to disable guild invites.

What spec's your warlock? I levelled mine as Destruction, which is fun, but I recently tried Demonology and that's fun too, turning into a giant demon every now and then and zapping everything :D
To: af (CAER) 26 of 34
I chose destruction. I may try one of the others later, but for now I'm content to just blow stuff up and get paid for it. lol

Pixillian

I did confirm my server as Sen'Jin, and the option to disable guild invites. So hopefully they'll stop popping up while I'm in the middle of a mess and trying to get out alive. lo

If I'm hitting the skull people, it's not deliberate. Believe me. I have noticed my void walker seems to have a mind of his own sometimes and I have to try to reign the bugger in or end up in a fight. He's wandered too close to something more than once. I turn to avoid and he doesn't turn fast enough, then I'm in it. I think the butthead is doing it deliberately. lol

The imp and fel hound I like. The seductress I'd rather dump for something else. She annoys me. lol

EDITED: 6 Mar 2014 20:41 by CYBATRON
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 27 of 34
Yeah sometimes assholes will deliberately hang around mobs you're trying to kill for quests for whatever in the hopes that you'll hit them by mistake, so they can then proceed to kill you and laugh. Never really understood the mentality behind behaviour like that.

Seductress is kinda useless imo, so you're doin right with sticking with the hound, imp or voidy :) (just don't use voidy in dungeons, it annoys tanks :p )
To: af (CAER) 28 of 34
I try not to use the voidwalker in close quarters. I think because of his size, he tends to get in my way when I'm trying to target things. I prefer the imp and hound for small spaces. I usually use the voidwalker in open areas, where if I have to, I have plenty of room to reposition to get him out of my line of fire.
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 29 of 34
Are you using enemy nameplates for targetting? That makes it much easier to select things. (press V to turn them on and off)
To: af (CAER) 30 of 34
No. I didn't know I could do that to target. Thanks for the tip. :)
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 31 of 34
There's a thing in the Interface options too (I forget where) that controls how the nameplates are arranged – stacked vertically, spread out, or all overlapping. I find the 'spread' one works best for sensible-sized bunches of monsters, but it gets a bit out of control when you have 5 or more.
To: af (CAER) 32 of 34
I only have their names showing now. Nothing else. I don't need see titles. I don't care if they're Grand Pubbah of whatever. Just whether or not I can keep them from kicking my butt. lol
To: DeannaG (CYBATRON) 33 of 34
That's what I mean – it shows a clickable bar that has their health, level and name on it, rather than just a non-interactive text label.
To: af (CAER) 34 of 34
I just try to avoid anything red or skully. lol