NFC-tag-medo

To: ALL1 of 12
Who's got some NFC tags?
Are they all the same?
Are some better than others?
To: ANT_THOMAS 2 of 12
I've got some, but only the one kind, so can't say if they're better or worse than others. Haven't used them for ages though.
To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 12
I got some of the Samsung tags.  I've only ever used them with their software.
To: ANT_THOMAS 4 of 12
I could kind of see a use for one automatically switching on bluetooth in the car. I'd want it to switch off again when I get out though. Can this be done without some naff thing like having a different tag to swipe past? Like, if I stuck it to the phone holder, putting the phone in the holder set it to on, and taking it out and away from the tag turns it off?

And after that, I'm all out of uses. Do they come in ones?
To: milko 5 of 12
I was going to say I use Llama for that, but I actually use it to launch Google Play Music when my phone pairs to my stereo because Bluetooth is on 24/7 for my Pebble watch.

Even though Bluetooth probably doesn't take much battery being on I guess every little helps these days.
To: ANT_THOMAS 6 of 12
I guess I could just leave it on. I used to use Llama but didn't bother installing it this time as I didn't really actually use it. And how will it know if I'm in a car or on a train?
To: milko 7 of 12
Well my car stereo always lives in my car so that's how it knows I'm in the car. (I assume you mean to pair to something else?)
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 12
yeah, visor-mount mic/speaker innit. But it's not going to know to BT-on and pair with it without me telling it that it's in the car.
To: milko 9 of 12
Nope, tags don't remain connected the way other wireless technologies do. It's a single tap on, and then done.
On the positive, you don't need a second tag to switch things off, you can set them as toggles rather than just power on or power off. So one tap when you get in the car, and a second when you get out.
They don't come in ones, but I could send you one to play with if you wanted. Got at least half a dozen lying unused here.
To: Radio 10 of 12
Hmmmmm. Thanks. I had the idea I'd stick it to the phone holder, not sure the toggle method would work then! If you've genuinely got spare and it's not too much of an arse, I'd take one or two and see if any spare Steam codes are of interest, I have a few Humble Bundle duplicates I think.
To: milko 11 of 12
PM me your address and I'll send a couple your way.
To: ALL12 of 12
Bought a pack of 5. First one is now being used to active a tasker task that turns on the lights, turns on the HTPC (which turns on the TV) then starts a TV channel