Arduino

To: ALL285 of 542
Brown and red look too similar on resistors.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 286 of 542
Still need to wait for a few bits to arrive: protoboard, screw connectors, dip sockets. The code is pretty much done. Comes in at around 20K, so there's room for some extra stuff if want. Though I imagine it'll mainly be on world time setting or all on.

The plan is to basically copy the map I linked with the variable sized holes and use MDF, though the UK isn't very obvious so I might tweak the design. Not bought the MDF yet though.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 287 of 542
Just remembered I attempted to add an IR receiver to do the same as the button but it didn't seem to consistently receive the correct code from the remote I was messing with.
To: ANT_THOMAS 288 of 542
I have a protoboard that came with my Saintmart. Not used it yet. Are the dip sockets for the shift registers?

I kind of feel like I should have some advice for the MDF as I use lots but I can't think of anything right now. Don't breathe it in.
To: ALL289 of 542
Different PWM frequencies. 31Hz, 122Hz, 490Hz, and 31kHz.
Attachments:
To: ALL290 of 542
Got most of the functionality working with my LED controller now. Still testing on a breadboard with R, G and B LEDs. And now an IR phototransistor. I can change colours, fade up and down, and that's about it for now.

Ant: not got any problems with picking up the IR codes from the remote.

I think I'll plug in my small test strip to see how it works with that. Then to hack the control box (good thing I have a spare from when I bought another remote) and get it all working properly.
EDITED: 1 Feb 2015 16:21 by CHRISSS
To: ALL291 of 542
And here it is working. I might sort it out it saves the current colour to the EEPROM so that it restores it when the power comes on. Or just make it so the lights are off if the power comes back on.

The ones we have now turn back on when the power goes out, even if it was off. Which is silly. If there's a power cut while we're out the lights will turn back on when it comes back.

Red and green frequency is 31kHz, blue is 62kHz.

EDITED: 1 Feb 2015 20:01 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 292 of 542
That's pretty cool. I think I might buy an RGB LED strip to play with. I still like the idea of making some sort of ambilight thing for my TV. I think originally I thought it would be a bit too difficult but after messing with arduinos more I should be able to do it.

Today and yesterday have mainly been spent trying to replace the wheel bearings on my car.

To: ANT_THOMAS 293 of 542
I'm pretty happy with how it's working out. Just set it up so it's working with one of my pro minis so I can put it in a small box in the wardrobe to power it. Got the power button working now too, forgot about that one.

I am very impressed with the Arduino. I thought I'd be playing around with the Pi far more. Surprisingly easy to get some complex things working.

Have you fixed your bearings?
To: ALL294 of 542
The almost completed project. Just need to make the connections to the Arduino more permanent.

First pic is the oroginal controller.
Then controller with the ICs removed and a couple of cables attached.
Third one is all the wires needed for the Arduino. 5V, ground, RGB and the IR signal.
And fourth is it all wired up. Plug in the 12V transformer and it works :D
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 295 of 542
And one of the path the traces make for the MOSFETs. Took me a while to work out how they were connected up. Strangely there is no resistor on the red connection.
EDITED: 1 Feb 2015 23:28 by CHRISSS
Attachments:
To: ALL296 of 542
And I now have it in the bedroom working. And was it worth it? Definitely. No flickering at all now. Much nicer light.

My colour algorithm needs tweaking though as the colours change a bit when the brightness is changed. White changes to a very greeny colour.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 297 of 542
Not yet. Ended up down the scrap yard buying parts.

What were the controllers on the original control box?
To: ANT_THOMAS 298 of 542
If you mean the ICs I removed one was some Atmel chip and I assume the other (no markings on it) was the EEPROM.

Actually not so sure about that. I guessed it was that based on another site but the FET gate pins are connected to it.
EDITED: 2 Feb 2015 10:08 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 299 of 542
Operation wheel bearings has entered day 3.

The chip could be an AT Tiny, I wonder if it could be reprogrammed with better software.
To: ANT_THOMAS 300 of 542
Problems doing the bearings or needed parts? Are they easy to remove?

I'm pretty sure it was an ATTiny chip but can't remember which and I can't see from the pictures on my phone. I think part of the problem is it only has 2 PWM channels. I assume that other chip is a shift register or something similar.

Should be easy enough to repgoram it by connecting up the correct pins and using a programmer. Can the opposite be done? Read what's on there and reverse engineer it?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 301 of 542
A bit of everything. One side the whole hub/bearing/drive shaft are very stuck. Ended up going to the scrap yard and getting a new hub, hub assembly and drive shaft. Then the passenger side bearing was an absolute pain to remove. Nearly done now....Hopefully.

I've thought about whether it's possible to do it backwards but I suspect not because the sketch is compiled then uploaded. I might be wrong though.
EDITED: 2 Feb 2015 13:20 by ANT_THOMAS
To: ANT_THOMAS 302 of 542
That's a lot of parts changed just for the bearings :O Rusty old stuck parts are a pain.

Maybe the assembly code could be read from the chip? I don't know.
To: ALL303 of 542
I've also got variable speed beightnes adjustment on it so at low brightness it changes slower, and above a certain level it changes quicker.
To: ALL304 of 542
Looks like the Atmel chip is just an EEPROM so no idea what the unmarked chip is.