BT Openreach

To: sinkywinky 28 of 48
It's like a 3 Stooges episode isn't it?  I presume they didn't do anything and maybe even left you one of those fancy door hanging souvenirs?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 29 of 48
They leave you door hangers?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 30 of 48
Lets just say that someone does.  I've never actually seen them because they show up about 5 minutes after I've left!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 31 of 48
Is that like a "we tried to deliver your parcel" thing that they leave on your door handle?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 32 of 48
They just shit on my doorstep. (And left a card)
To: ANT_THOMAS 33 of 48
Yeah.  They don't always do it, and not all companies do it.  I think it's more to rub in the fact that you just missed them.

Speaking of mail/package people doing this.  We were sitting in the living room a few months ago and I thought I heard someone pull in the driveway.  A few minutes later I went to the door to check and there was a hanger saying "sorry we missed you".  The lazy bastard couldn't muster up the energy to push the doorbell I guess!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 34 of 48
That reminds me of ShittyLink (CityLink) over here.

I usually hope it's a Royal Mail delivery over here because the depot is fairly close. They leave these cards...

And the writing is often illegible.

My google search found this also...

To: graphitone 35 of 48
How is the Meraki kit?  My IT reseller keeps trying to push that stuff on me even though we already use Xirrus stuff here.
To: PNCOOL 36 of 48
We've got it to roll out a unsecured publicly accessible wi-fi in our new office and we haven't moved there yet, so it's only been used here to make sure it works. The AP itself is fine, and I like the web interface on the parent site (you don't, as far as I can tell, access the AP directly, you sync any changes you make to your config from their site) but we've been unable to set it up properly as yet as it needs a direct connection out to the net and for some reason our DMZ isn't letting it out...

Don't know how it compares to Xirrus though, never got my grubby mits on that kit.
To: graphitone 37 of 48
Ah yes, that's the real difference between Xirrus and Meraki, the Meraki stuff can be configured in the Cloud.  I have a server management application for the Xirrus kit, so it's all controlled on-site.  To be honest, the regularity in which our fibre internet goes down, I'm not fussed that I can't control my kit in the Cloud.
To: PNCOOL graphitone 38 of 48
Would either of these offer point to point stuff?  I'm getting ready to start researching stuff to connect 3 buildings with PTP wireless.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 39 of 48
I believe both do.  I know for sure that Xirrus market their stuff for that exact purpose as they sell lots in buildings that can't have a lot of cabling in them.  At our place we only use them as access points off of standard cabled infrastructure, but they like to replace switch cabinets with their things if that's what you're after.
To: PNCOOL 40 of 48
Sweet, I should have time to start some checking later today.  I'll give them a look!  Thanks!
To: sinkywinky 41 of 48
One of the (admittedly rather few) advantages of living in Hull is that i don't have to deal with BT. I've only had problems with the KC line at my mum's house a few times, but their tech support is good and the one time we've needed an engineer visit he came promptly and at a convenient time.

They can be cunts in other ways though. Such as they don't let any other ISP's use their network, so if you want internet in Hull you have but one option. Plus the packages they offer are pretty shit.
EDITED: 9 Aug 2013 19:44 by MRTRENT
To: MrTrent 42 of 48
That's the thing about KC, I'm sure many moons ago they were seen as being brilliant because they weren't BT, but if there's no competition or other options then you're stuck if what they offer is shit.
To: MrTrent 43 of 48
The prices are a bit rubbish.

In further plusnet and BT are shit news, I called Plusnet to get them to actually put the ADSL order on and called them the next day to make sure they were actually doing it:

"Yes, the order was placed yesterday and the install has been booked for next week."
what.
"The person you spoke to earlier put on another fibre order."

:|
To: ALL44 of 48

:-O~~~
To: sinkywinky 45 of 48
:((
To: sinkywinky 46 of 48
Now instead of moaning about your shitty connection speed you can moan about shitty servers limiting your download speed. \o/
To: koswix 47 of 48
A newsgroup download is only going at 3MBps what the fuck is this shit :@