Windows 8.1

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 10 of 32
For me, the problems with Windows 8 centre on the utterly perverse decisions around how some actions pan out. For instance, I take an SD card of photos and plug it in to my card reader slot. Yep, the file explorer window begins to flash - all fine so far. So I open file explorer. There are my photos and I double click one. Excellent, it opens and I browse it.

Now I'd quite like to see another.

Bad luck if you're expecting anything friendly about this. No handy arrows on screen, nothing if you optimistically click a left or right button. A desperate stab at Esc only dumps you in the  bizarre start screen with no obvious way back.

Pan around with the cursor while viewing a photo and you'll find all sorts of useful things with nothing to do with what you're actually doing at the moment.

Turns out that your route back into the folder is hidden away in a tiny spot in the top left of the screen. Even then all that gives you is a long-winded chance to double click another file.

It's as though this was designed by somebody deliberately setting out to ignore anything good or useful about previous incarnations of Windows. I suppose it's another example of the corporate mantra that change is good as an end in itself.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 11 of 32
I know you can change XBMC to be the shell instead of explorer.exe but I also have SABnzbd, SickBeard and Couchpotato starting up in Windows (once I've clicked 'Desktop').

Dave, I also miss 3D buttons. Buttons are supposed to be 3D. You push them, therefore they are buttons, dammit.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 12 of 32
Desktop boots on logon, in the background anyway.
To: ALL13 of 32
Speculative speculation is speculative.

:-{)
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 14 of 32
*I know and you don't nyah nyah

more like!
To: milko 15 of 32
No comment.
To: THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE) 16 of 32
Ah go on, let us in on the secret. Then we can all blab our source and you'll be famous like that Thurott twat chap.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 17 of 32
Really? Everything I've ready has said that nothing in your Startup folder will start until you open the Desktop...
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 18 of 32
They're wrong!
To: Dan (HERMAND) 19 of 32
Are you sure?

I've done this (replacing the shell with XBMC.exe) and I'm sure I had the exact same symptom Jesus mentions. Entries in the Registry "Run" keys and Scheduled Tasks set to run before/on Login do start, but none of shortcuts placed in the Startup directory are run.

That was with Windows 7, not tried it with Windows 8 admittedly.
To: Matt 20 of 32
Oh, yes, sorry - Start Up Folder I'm not sure about. I only have one small tray icon in there.

Personally, I'd just put everything into Registry Run key if that's a problem.

(This isn't the most secure thing, but I have my laptop set to automatically log in. Nothing fancy, just the same as logging in at the console, as in it goes to Metro. In the registry run keys I have got a .vbs script which locks the workstation. I boot my laptop, get a brew and by the time I get back it's locked and everything is ready to go)

Edit: No, that's a lie - I had a feeling. My .vbs script is in Start-Up and definitely runs with no interaction.

Edit 2: I'm miles away today. Yeah, it won't work if you replace the shell. That makes sense because explorer.exe is responsible for running things in the Start Up folder.
EDITED: 24 Apr 2013 13:37 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 21 of 32
I used to do that. Automatic login and a lock file in the startup folder to make sure everything in the background starts so I'm not sat waiting an age for all that stuff to start.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 22 of 32
quote:
I suppose it's another example of the corporate mantra that change is good as an end in itself.

I think it was either more inept or more manipulative than that.  Either their futurologists had predicted a much greater roll-out of touchscreen pcs and laptops by the time Win8 was released and they just fucked up, or - more likely, I think - they decided that pissing off a substantial minority of their users was a price worth paying to get huge numbers of people used to the UI in order to help them to make up a bit of the distance against the Android and iPad OSes they need if they're going to make any headway in the tablet market.
To: ANT_THOMAS 23 of 32
I prefer to balance an AK-47 on top of my monitor.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 24 of 32
Racist.

LOL
To: koswix 25 of 32
:(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 26 of 32
(hug)
To: ALL27 of 32
I have just finished installing the 8.1 preview, it installed in about 3 minutes! Now I'm going to see what they made worse!
To: ALL28 of 32
Well it's much of the same but at least now we can boot straight to the desktop and disable hot corners.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 29 of 32
Thats my job for tomorrow :D