Business Dead Pool 2013

To: Radio 71 of 101
Didn't blockbuster go last year?
To: koswix 72 of 101
A quick look on wiki shows that it nearly went under but was bought out in 2011 and is still going.
To: MrTrent 73 of 101
Aww, really? My local one turned into a Saisnbury's Local shortly after it was in the news, can't think of any Blockbusters in Edinburgh now.
To: koswix 74 of 101
Right, updated.

Also by my understanding of these ill-thought out rules, I get 1 point for HMV going into administration but still trading. If they then cease trading all together do I get another 2 points? Who knows!

Also, what if they come out of administration? Do I still keep them (plus the replacement I decided I was allowed) on my list? Would I then have 4 companies to play with (YJ)?

Whoever thought this one through did about as good a job as the person who appointed Kenny to do the forum awards.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)15 Jan 2013 22:11
To: koswix 75 of 101
I think Kenny appointed Kenny to do the forum awards, therefore your point is valid.
To: koswix 76 of 101
They look to have gone again today.

Good work Radio!
To: ANT_THOMAS 77 of 101
Oh well done, Radio! Un point.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)16 Jan 2013 15:45
To: ANT_THOMAS 78 of 101
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 79 of 101
Look what they are saying about you! No appreciation for the many years of pondering and careful consideration you have given this project. Ungrateful sods!
To: koswix 80 of 101
Yay!
(Although feel for the employees, as with HMV it's not ther fault that the management faied to adapt to the changing world)
To: Linn (INDYLS) 81 of 101
Don't worry, I'll get round to sorting them out soon.
To: ALL82 of 101
The management failed to adapt to anything. This must not have come as a surprise to them (the management), they must have known sales were down yet what did they do about it ?

Where was the big ad campaign, where were the promotions, the special offers, the price reductions ?

Fact is there was no big push to get more trade whilst overpaid executives sat on their arses and did fuck all whilst knowingly watch the company go down the pan. Same goes for Jessops, HMV and the rest. First we hear that there are problems is when they announce administration when we should have been hearing endless campaigns to generate business.

Then again when aforementioned execs are being paid £millions in wages and bonuses regardless of the state of the company do they really care what happens ? They just get paid £millions more as a golden handshake when the company folds and then move on to another highly paid role with another firm.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)16 Jan 2013 19:10
To: cynicoid 83 of 101
And I suppose that they're competing with web stores that don't have the overheads of maintaining a high street footprint has got nothing to do with it?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 84 of 101
of course it does, but I have always found HMV & Blockbuster to not only be expensive but to also be more expensive than other high st shops

we went into HMV just after xmas with £300+ to spend on a PS3 and some games, it took nearly 20 mins to find out they had nothing we wanted ~ they were willing to order stuff for delivery but I can do that myself for less
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)16 Jan 2013 22:46
To: JonCooper 85 of 101
Should've gone to Radio Rentals Amazon
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 86 of 101
But it's as if they were'nt trying to compete with anyone.

For example, I can name off the top of my head half a dozen sites where I can download music from, HMV isn't one of them. In fact I don't even know if you can D/L direct from HMV, I presume you can but maybe you can't.

And there's the problem, if you can D/L from HMV why are'nt they shouting about it - the cost would be comparable to all the other sites so why would I not consider it an option ?

But it's not just digital downloads, where were the adverts screaming buy one get one free, or half price sale. Where were the TV ads, the e-mail spam, the newspaper and magazine ads ? Surely they could have offered software and games at the same price as Amazon, ok not on the high street but at least online, and made it as easy to order as Amazon do.

But let's not forget that throughout the nineties before the explosion of internet ordering the likes of HMV were happy to charge £12 for a CD when you could get exactly the same in the US for £6, and when internet shopping became commonplace they continued to charge the higher price and then wondered why they lost out on sales when it was still cheaper to import from overseas than buy from them, even with tax and import duty.

Like I said HMV didn't try to compete with anyone else, they made shedloads of money off us in the 90's and as other retailers adapted and lowered their prices HMV thought they could continue as they always had and charge the same price for products that could be got cheaper elsewhere.

And it's not as if they could'nt compete on price. A few years back I wanted the latest COD game, my local independant game store was selling for £30, Tescos for £28 - all sold out. Went into Blockbuster and they had plenty of copies but for £40 ! If a small independant can sell for £30 then why not Blockbuster with their buying power ? I could stand a couple of quids difference but £10, so that was one sale they lost - and I never went back since.
To: cynicoid 87 of 101
What the shit? I thought GAME had enough problems of their own!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/game-confirms-interest-in-hmv-shops-8457134.html
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)21 Jan 2013 17:29
To: graphitone 89 of 101
Fook's sake, I didn't realise they were still /in/! :C
To: graphitone 90 of 101
Atari hasn't been Atari for at least 10 years, probably more.

Ignoring the fact that they're currently owned by Infogrames, the US arm of Atari is completely unrelated to the Atari of olde. All they share in common is the name.