Web-Email-Client-Me-Do

To: ALL9 of 55
Or maybe I could move all my email addresses over to GMail/GApps and use something like Roundcube.
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 55
quote:
Moon on a stick?

Yep, given that it's something I want too, I think you're out of luck. :(

(Unless of course someone wants to pay me enough to work full-time on creating this.)
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 55

I'm going to give a few things a try this week. Zimbra Open Source being one of them, along with Roundcube.

I think I'll have to have the actual email addresses hosted with GMail though because a lot of the solutions I've found are basically just IMAP frontends.

To: ANT_THOMAS 12 of 55
Don't bother with Zimbra. Unless things have changed drastically in the last year, it's quite painfully slow to use.

That roundcube looks good though.
To: Matt 13 of 55
I'll try Roundcube first then. I didn't hold much hope with Zimbra since the bulk of dev would obviously be for the version they sell.
To: ALL14 of 55
Since I can't easily remote login to my home system and GApps isn't free anymore I'm going to try and give Roundcube a go, but that means upgrading my WAMP install which is very old and looks like a pain in the arse to migrate to a newer version.
To: ANT_THOMAS 15 of 55
WAMP, WTF?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 55
I know. It was from my first venture into having my own webserver, many many years ago and I've never managed to get rid of it because it works well but it seems because I've not bothered to upgrade for so long that I can't anymore to the newer versions, or at least it'll be a total fucker to upgrade.

I want it to be quick and I don't want to fuck up my MySQL databases.
To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 55
What are the specs on the hardware? Maybe convert it to a VM and run ESXi under it, then you could develop a LEMP/LAMP while still running the other?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 18 of 55
I was considering adding another VM or upgrading my existing ubuntu VM because I didn't install an LTS version (fail) but I think I still want my stuff hosted on windows.

I'll have to check if port 8080 or similar is open at work and maybe adding another VM to play with roundcube.

Hardware is AMD E-350 CPU on an AsusĀ E35M1-M PRO motherboard. Thankfully that CPU supports AMD-V so Hyper-V VMs work well.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 55
RoundCube installed and I don't think it'll do what I want since it is basically just an IMAP front end.

I'm happy(ish) to use RoundCube as my frontend but I need something running in the background to download the emails and store them for RoundCube to access.

There definitely needs to be an email client that has a web interface.

PB: I'm guessing you didn't ever find anything to do this?
To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 55
Nope. :(

Though given Google's continual fucking with Gmail and general insidiousness, I really would like something that'll let me escape.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 21 of 55
Heard good things aboutĀ https://www.fastmail.fm/ if you're prepared to pay $5 per year.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 22 of 55
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 23 of 55
Tiny storage though unfortunately. My Thunderbird profile is 4.14 GB :$ Yes, I should delete some emails and yes you can moan about that one!

I really should've put my domains on GApps before they pulled the free service, but with Google removing products periodically it probably wouldn't have been a long term fix anyway.

I just want a Thunderbird web interface :((
To: ANT_THOMAS 24 of 55
Nah my thunderbird profiles were ridiculously big too. I realised a while back that there was less and less I liked about thunderbird and I was basically only running it for the notification - gmail was collecting all my POP mail and then TB was collecting my gmail, which was kinda pointless. So I just started using gmail web interface and a decent mail notifier plugin for FF and... I've gotten used to it. I still kinda inherently prefer a proper email application but TB was taking up like a gig of ram and not really giving me much for it, y'know.

What is it exactly you're trying to achieve with your setup? I realised I don't actually know.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 25 of 55
Hey, I didn't actually do any research myself. I just trusted other peoples' saying it's good. I'm fine(-ish)* with gmail myself.

(*I'd just ship pretty much instantly if another free imap service with basically unlimited storage came along though)
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 26 of 55
So I have what is basically a pretty unconventional setup for email right now.

I use Thunderbird with about 10 different emails addresses (various old reasons which I should maybe sort).

Thunderbird is running on my local server which means I can access these emails from my laptop via remote desktop (sounds silly, I know), phone via RD, other computers via RD.

The idea was in the past that I had my TB profile on a network drive and changed the address in the profiles file on each system so when I was on my main PC or laptop I could open TB (but not if it was open on another PC) and access my emails, I don't do this anymore. I just RD into my server.

So now I can't RD into my server from work so I can't get to my emails. I don't want to use my hosting to access my emails due to space not being unlimited.

What I want is TB to have a web interface so it can carry on running and regularly downloading and storing my email, I can RD if I want to but also access TB via a browser elsewhere. Not sure if you use uTorrent anymore but that has a fairly good WebUI which basically replicates the program UI and features but in the browser meaning control of the program is possible wherever.

I probably should've moved my domains to Google/GApps for email when it was free so I at least had some flexibility and could still use IMAP and TB if I wanted.

Does that makes sense?

To: ANT_THOMAS 27 of 55
May be missing something with this suggestion, but: Can't you just use gmail and tell it to pull all the other accounts via POP?

S'kinda what I do, only with fewer pop accounts (just 2).

Ok you're losing the imappyness of the other accounts but ... it's workable.

Otherwise I think I'd just set up like Pine running in a Screen session on your server and just ssh into that to get mail rather than RDPing into TB. Though if you can't RD maybe you can't ssh?

To: ANT_THOMAS 28 of 55
Jesus, just ask your land lady for a phone line already.