VPS hosting questions

To: ALL1 of 12

I'm looking to move someone off from a dedicated RackSpace server (a massively underused £500 per month monster) to a much smaller dedicated server or maybe even a VPS. They really don't need a full RS server, all it has at the moment is a web & FTP site...

I've been looking at Nethosted's VPS offers, even the top one (£75 per month) is dirt cheap compared to their current setup. Are there any unexpected limitations that I should be aware of? Are there any alternatives I should look at?

I can't remember what this place is running on but I seem to remember it was a VPS... [le: it's Linode, will take a look at that too]

Thank you!

LE: there's also uk2.net, they seem to have reasonable offers as well... too much choice :(

EDITED: 17 Feb 2012 18:08 by NUKKLEAR
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 2 of 12
Who or what is LE?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 12
My guess was "last edit". But that would make multiple LEs LIES!
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 4 of 12
This place is indeed running on Linode as is beehiveforum.co.uk. Really good, highly recommended.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 12
I thought it meant "later edit"... This is going to be one of those things one wrongly assumed for years, isn't it?
To: Matt 6 of 12
Excellent. How do you reckon they will react to some of their linodes running Monte Carlo simulations every now and then? :$
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 7 of 12
Hmmmm. Isn't an 'edit' inherently 'later'?
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 8 of 12
Firstly, you can't have a later edit without having an initial/earlier edit, of which there's no indication, thus the distinction of later is meaningless.

Secondly, if there's anyone in the world that uses it in that context, they're not important.

Thirdly, using "le:" in one place and "LE:" in another is a good way to make people wonder wtf you're on about.

Fourthly, who the fuck cares what order your edits are in when you've made them all in the space of 25 minutes without anyone having replied yet AND the topic of the thread is such that nobody is going to care how it looked before the edits and there was no need to highlight them.

Fifthly, unless uk2.net are vastly cheaper (ignoring any limited-time offers which will make it more expensive in the long run), just go with Linode.

:P
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 12
You totally spoiled that by being helpful at the end. Le nub.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 10 of 12
It was totally non-Boughtonesque
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 11 of 12
My first thought was WTF is a Monte Carlo Simulation. My second was, maybe it's a simulation of Formula One or a Secret Service Agent who's codename is double-oh-seven.

But, I dunno. I doubt it would work too well. Wouldn't they be better off doing that sort of thing on a local beefy machine and then, if they need the results online, upload them?
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)17 Feb 2012 22:25
To: Matt 12 of 12
A Monte Carlo simulation is a type of mathematical analysis that statisticians conduct in order to muscle in on real science. And everyone else sits there thinking WTF :?