Cloning disks.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 20
Have you even tried it?
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 20
It's a GUI front-end for built-in functionality, and it's been created by idiot(s).

It might work, but I'm not seeing any compelling reasons to use it over either RoboCopy or Acronis True Image?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 17 of 20
The job could've been well on the way by now. It works, it's easy to use. Just use it.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 18 of 20
Well, I dunno. Why not just format the new partition(s) and copy the files across in the usual way then. Why the need to clone, exactly?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 19 of 20
For mirroring a volume, the basic syntax would be:

code:
robocopy [source] [dest] /MIR

This will copy everything from [source] to [dest] while also deleting everything from [dest] that doesn't exist on [source].

If you omit the /MIR option it will copy files only and not delete anything from [dest].

If either the source or destination partitions are FAT32 or network shares (especially if they're Linux SAMBA shares) you will also need to add /FFT to the end of the command above otherwise every time you re-run robocopy it'll think the files on the source drive are newer and copy them again.

Other options that might be useful are /XD and /XF which ignore directories and files respectively. Depending on your user credentials, you might need these for ignoring the "System Volume Information" folder and "$Recycle.Bin".

So a full command might look like:

code:
robocopy [source] [dest] /MIR /FFT /XD "System Volume Information" /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN"

All you really need to do is make sure you don't get [source] and [dest] the wrong way around :)
EDITED: 1 Feb 2012 12:13 by MATT
To: Matt 20 of 20
Thanks, though I went and read up on it anyway.

I went with /E to copy the directories as well, and not risk deleting from dest (even though it was empty anyway, I was paranoid about getting the source/dest the wrong way round).

That /XD would have been useful - fortunately I found something that said use /R:10 to limit the number of retries, otherwise it would have been stuck on the System Volume Information forever, instead of just five minutes. :(

( Why on earth did they implement "default 1 million" combined with a default retry wait time of 30 seconds!? That would have meant nearly a whole year trying? :? )

Anyhow, everything all swapped around now. :)

Fortunately the disk I wanted to change was in the [relatively] easy access compartment, instead of requiring me to take the whole case off like the other one apparently would require.

Now to re-organise various files I had shunted around back to their logical homes...