GIMP

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 33 of 75
I'm more wee at the moment.

I tried to draw you an owl, but it didn't come out quite as intended, plus I kinda forgot how they actually look, so it's not wonderful.

I'm gonna go pee now.
Attachments:
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 34 of 75

Well that's true, and that's where GUMP comes into its own.

Dude, if you are using paint shop "pro"...

um... never mind.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 35 of 75
Hah! You're just upset because I'm a Pro and you're a GIMP! :P
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 36 of 75
I'm amazed you're not using Aperture or Lightroom. Have you tried them?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 37 of 75

It didn't cost me anything. Oh wait, yeah.

I accept your point but it's still rubbish.

The job I wanted to do has now been done in Photoshop, though I did struggle to draw a curved arrow :-$

To: ANT_THOMAS 38 of 75
Something is not rubbish because you failed to figure out how to use it.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 39 of 75

Fair point, but something is rubbish when you need a plugin to do a very simple task. And even with the plugin the simple task isn't simple.

It was a highly time consuming experience, a waste of time in fact because I couldn't get done what I wanted. I'm all for using FOSS/Freeware, but when it's promoted as a viable alternative I have to disagree.

To: ANT_THOMAS 40 of 75
If you need a plugin to draw an arrow, you're beyond help.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 Dec 2011 16:01
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 41 of 75
To be fair, PS does seem to make some tasks inordinately difficult when they could/should be much easier!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 42 of 75
I do use Lightroom.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 43 of 75

He's whingeing about GIMP. I agree both programs could be easier. Photoshop has been bloated up with stupid computer tricks to justify frequent version releases, but it's hardly improved since version 6. Of course the difficulty with designing software is anticipating exactly what all users want to do, so do you make a few features that are really polished, or many features that are pretty rough around the edges? It's probably the latter that is going to win you over new customers, since you can't return the product for a refund, when you find out it's not all it was cracked up to be.

Like Windows, Photoshop has a big installed base of people who have invested years in learning how to use it, so Adobe doesn't have to really try to improve it -- unless some competition comes along (which is why they bought Macromedia).

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 Dec 2011 19:00
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 44 of 75
He's whingeing about GIMP.

No he wasn't:
quote: ANT_THOMAS
The job I wanted to do has now been done in Photoshop, though I did struggle to draw a curved arrow :-$

The thing that gets me about PS is how they've butt-fucked the UI by forcing their own (rather ugly) UI instead of using the OS default, which is what most people with be used to and expect. Who do they think they are, Apple?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 45 of 75
Draw me a nice simple arrow in GIMP please and give me a tutorial.
To: ANT_THOMAS 46 of 75
The problem there is that you're trying to use GIMP (and Photoshop) as a vector drawing program. They can both do it (GIMP with plugins) but they're shit at it. What you should've done is drawn an arrow in a vector prog and exported it as png and imported it into PS/GIMP.

Pete: That's a lovely owl, thank you (hug)
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 47 of 75
Well, like Apple, there's not much you can do to sex up the core functionality for a "new" release, except by troweling on the chrome.
To: ANT_THOMAS 48 of 75
Give Inkscape a go - it's a free vector drawing program and has a slightly 'unique' interface, but nowhere as terrible as GIMP. Even though it's a bit buggy and slow, and the UI is even less of a match for OS X, I still find it handles all my drawing needs (icons, logos etc. mainly).
To: ANT_THOMAS 49 of 75
Here's what I did: googled "arrow", selected Images, copied an arrow, pasted it into GIMP. Time needed: 10-seconds. Special GIMP knowledge needed: none.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 50 of 75
I wish somebody would tart up GIMP, because its UI really is terrible. It's like someone tacked it on as an afterthought.
To: af (CAER) 51 of 75
The next release is going to be in a single window, instead of bits floating around. There's lots to dislike about GIMP, it is what it is.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 52 of 75
quote: that article
The GIMP developers recently announced that they are tentatively planning to release GIMP 2.8 in December 2010. This release date, which is almost a year from now...

Yeah, it's a year in the other direction now. :S

Have they published an updated estimate for when it's actually coming?