Skyrim

To: patch 109 of 773
How do you give stuff to Lydia?
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 110 of 773
Need monies :(
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 111 of 773
Sell the rest of your possessions.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 112 of 773
I dunno, if I just carry on playing morrowind for a while then I might be able to afford it
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 113 of 773
Man, I wish I got paid to play Morrowind :(

(so far, Skyrim is still at least as good. Nothing can ever replace Morrowind for me but... Skyrim is coming /fucking/ close)
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 114 of 773
I thought you did? Then you just write a bit of css and call it a website??!!?1
To: DrBoff (BOFF) 115 of 773
Yeah actually that's pretty true.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 116 of 773
quote:
I did wonder whether... those three prisoners are kinda clearly good/neutral/evil. I wonder if the quests you get change based on which one you kill? I mean I enjoyed the DB quests in Oblivion but I didn't like the ones where you have to kill innocents. So maybe they use this as a filter? Probably not, it's probably just to fuck with you.

It makes no difference. I killed the innocent sounding woman, on the basis that someone who sounds so innocent is bound to have some skeletons in the closet. I then asked Astrid if i'd got the right one and she refused to tell me.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 117 of 773
Try talking to her. There's an option that says something like "I need to trade some stuff with you". Then she's very sarcastic.
To: patch 118 of 773
Aye, worked it out, seems the option's only there when she's following you.

MrTrent:

Aye but it might make a difference to later quests (unlikely but you never know)
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 119 of 773

Got to admit that my little 5770 is coping with it better than I expected. High texture, world and shadow settings, a bit of AA, maximum viewing distances and it's happily zooming along at 1920x1200. This time around, I'm VERY impressed with the smoothness of the engine with regards to loading stuff whilst you're moving. The Gamebryo ones always stuttered a bit for me here and there as they loaded new cells as you moved around, but Skyrim seems dead smooth.

Only main quibble I have with it so far is the lack of a hotkey system. I can't get the "Favourites" menu to work, and it's rather annoying having to keep going in and out of my inventory to switch between magic and weaponry. I'm sure someone will soon create a mod for it! I want to be able to map a few weapons and spells to the different buttons on my mouse. That used to work a treat for Oblivion!

And as for game-breaking bugs, I kept getting constant CTDs when I first launched it. Google told me to change my Windows audio settings to 44Khz/16bit and then it worked. Weird!

EDITED: 14 Nov 2011 18:10 by DAVE!!
To: Dave!! 120 of 773
The favourites menu works perfectly for me. Select the items, spells, whatever in the inventory and hit F to favourite them, then Q brings up the menu in game (and handily pauses the action while doing it) then click on whatevr you want with left or right button depending on which hand you want it in (LMB for right hand, RMB for left hand).
To: Dave!! 121 of 773
Aye, I'm surprised how well optimised it seems to be. Runs very very nicely and seems to run well on oldish hardware.

Like Trenty says, use the favourites system (though he neglected to mention that once something is in the favourites menu, you can map a hotkey to it right there by pressing a number key (including numpad, which is handy for us non-WASDers).

I'd heard that setting audio settings to that fixed the low volume problem but didn't know it helped with crashes. I've had a few crashes (usually while alt-tabbing) so I might give that a pop, thanks.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 122 of 773
quote:
Like Trenty says, use the favourites system (though he neglected to mention that once something is in the favourites menu, you can map a hotkey to it right there by pressing a number key
That's because he didn't know. He does now, and he thanks you.

Anyhoo, thoughts on the Companion questline...
Bit rubbish, really. Admittedly i didn't have high hopes for the story as the Fighters Guild in Oblivion was easily the weakest of the guild subplots, but it didn't really reach my low expectations. It has a good start, (the werewolves thing) but it didn't really go anywhere and i never really believed in what i was doing and what i was supposed to be standing for. There were times in fact when i didn't want to do what i was doing, and actually sympathised more with the people i was fighting.

Plus the missions themselves weren't all that exciting. Obviously they ere just going to be full on fighting missions, but i wsa hoping for a bit more variety with the fights.
To: MrTrent 123 of 773
lol @ fighters.

Cool nested spoilers though :D

<backstabs mr. trent while loling>

FOOF! (<-- this dragon shout, the first one you get, seems to be designed solely for ruining peoples' dinner tables. And then giggling)
To: ALL124 of 773
I got attacked by a dagron but I lack a bow or any decently ranged spells. What do I do? :[
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 125 of 773

You mean you can't get its attention without ranged or ... how to fight it?

If you don't (and don't want to) use any ranged offensive stuff then you'll just have to take it with whatever you usually use when it lands I guess?

If you want to use ranged then... buy/find a ranged spell or bow.

You can kinda kite them if you can lure them to a settlement where there's some guards or giants/mammoths and they'll help you bring it down.

Depends what kind of character you are though. If you're all about heavy armour and big weapons then ... yeah, just wait for it to land and then give it a beating.

I suspect it's going to be hard to get by without any magic in this one though (unless two handed weapons are significantly more destructive than single handed, I dunno, not tried them) as the magic is very powerful this time. Far more so than in Oblivion. I didn't use magic at all in Oblivion (aside from healing) and didn't intend to in this but... have found myself doing so partly because it's fun but also because it's my best attack in a stand-up melee fight. It's my fallback when I'm in a tough spot.

Is anyone playing without magic at all?

I'm playing a sneaking up-close daggers person mainly. Relying on my backstab for tough stuff and speed/agility for weak/moderate groups. If there's room I'll use my bow to whittle down numbers if I can do so without being detected. But yeah, if I'm spotted with multiple enemies around in closed areas I have to get the flamethrower out.

So I kinda feel like I'm possibly spreading my perks/skills a bit thin. Most perks are in sneak and one handed but I also have a few in archery and then some in destruction and restoration.

How's everyone else playing?

EDITED: 15 Nov 2011 05:19 by X3N0PH0N
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 126 of 773

I mean I can't get near the damn thing, every time it lands it's blasting my face off before I can get into melee range. I'm using the starter spells (flames and sparks) but they're only mid-range and can't hit it while it's flying.

That character was meant to be a mage type as well but so far he's just ended up swording most things. Dual-wielding a sword and a spell is awesome though. My second character is a stealthy one, archery and dual-wielding swords and daggers. Brutal battleaxe'd barbarian dude is up next. As always, making characters turns out to be more fun than playing them. :D

To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 127 of 773
quote:
As always, making characters turns out to be more fun than playing them.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. Not in this game. Making characters is fun for sure but playing them is far more fun in this. Discovering things and going to places and getting distracted and making plans and having them fall apart.

If you're a magic dude you just need to get some more spells. Just head to any city and find the chief mage or whatever they're called and he'll have plenty of spells for sale. If you're a melee dude and anything but all-out hardcore heavy armour and weapons then a bow is a good idea for backup and for dragons (they'll still land by you and immolate you though, that never changes :D Just have to dive for cover when it looks like they're going to do that and attack them on the ground when someone else has the aggro).
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 128 of 773
Buying spells is like so 90s. Isn't there a magical version of Pirate Bay? :P