Facebook

To: patch 99 of 104
Yeah I was just commenting on people's willingness to donate without getting any payment/recognition.

Marketing is... a whole other discussion :Y
To: patch 100 of 104
Or they'd select the option saying "use local storage" instead of the one saying "use encrypted distributed storage", and then there's no worry.

The point of this is, there doesn't need to be one way.

Facebook (and G+ and everyone) enforce their fixed way onto people, and people have no choice but to put up with it (or not use the service, and thus not be able to communicate with people across the globe).

Doing it right means providing people with the ability to have things their own way - and that includes whether you store your photos on your home machine, or on an encrypted peer-to-peer network, or on your ISP's space, or on your flickr account, or on a dedicated server, or on a cloud data store, or on a corporate VPN, or wherever the photo sharer chooses.

Computers are supposed to fit around human's needs; so people choose what they want to do, and it's the software's job to do that as seamlessly as possible.

And that doesn't need any one entity to spend lots of money on flashy hardware.
EDITED: 14 Oct 2011 21:09 by BOUGHTONP
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)14 Oct 2011 23:05
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 101 of 104
I think you're great Peter (heart)
To: ALL102 of 104

So I just got an advert "How To Lose Belly Fat" from an Australian company.

So on one hand that's good - it shows FB doesn't know everything about me (or at least doesn't tell advertisers).

But on the other hand, it does have me rather offended - that they would insult me by showing such an advert.

How dare they imply I'm fucking Australian! :@

EDITED: 15 Oct 2011 23:26 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 103 of 104
Fucking w3rd homie.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 104 of 104

I'm with Lucy. I LOVE ADBLOCK!

I hate facebook, my space, and quite a few others. I've tried some of them, and I'm not impressed. You go there to socialize. Not get buried in advertisements.

BEEHIVE RULES!

DP