Facebook

To: patch 91 of 104
quote:
But, if you're going to be directing millions of people through Flickr's website (as an example), they've got to pay for the hardware and bandwidth it uses, and they're most likely to pass the costs on to the company responsible for all that extra traffic.

But that's what Flickr do. That's like saying Flickr should charge Google because Google directs a lot of traffic to Flickr. Flickr want traffic.

If we're talking about scraping Flickr's info without going to the site then that's a different thing. But we're not.

The routing and encryption stuff is eye-wateringly complex, aye. But there are already far more robust solutions for that than this would need. This would only need to be as secure as the current web services are (not very secure at all). Anything on top of that would be an added benefit.

The major problem is that routing through a dynamic network of nodes is not currently going to be as fast as a simple web server. But, well, that is done currently through a distributed system currently (DNS) so that's probably solvable.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 92 of 104
Surely, for the sake of keeping a consistent look-and-feel across your social network, you'd want to scrape Flickr's data and put it into your format.
To: patch 93 of 104
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think that's how it's been done previously when everyone's trying to establish 'a brand'. But this wouldn't be that. Or wouldn't have to be, at least. I think people are smart enough to cope with some things looking different from others (Google+ and Facebook don't look the same but I manage to cope).

Having said that, if this thing took off I'm sure Flickr would be happy to provide an API whereby we could get pictures + ads + their logo somewhere from them and frame it how we like. Works out better for them because they're displaying their ads with less server load.

This could go two ways - it could be like the thing Pete described before where it simply points to where people have their information stored, or it could entirely replace those places and store everything locally.

Or it could do both. Or whatever.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 94 of 104

Wasn't part of the point of this to not have adverts?

Edit: Yes, my replies are getting shorter. Can you tell I'm starting to wonder what point I'm arguing?

EDITED: 14 Oct 2011 19:58 by PATCH
To: patch 95 of 104
It wouldn't. Not that I care, I use adblock.

If someone wants to share photos via flickr then their users will see adverts from flickr via our thing. If they don't then they can use something else. Again, this is assuming it even plugs into existing services at all, which is unnecessary.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 96 of 104

So do I. Except on certain sites, cos I'm nice like that. But you did mention getting an API from Flickr that gives us the photos and adverts. But that's just an example, and hypothetical, so I'm not sure how much further this can go.

If it doesn't use existing services, then we're back to people storing their stuff in "our" cloud, which would be other people's PC and servers. At which point most of the world will object because they don't understand/don't care what encryption does, and they don't understand that it's almost the same as using iCloud but the data isn't stored by Apple.

EDITED: 14 Oct 2011 20:08 by PATCH
To: patch 97 of 104
Doesn't really matter if they object. So long as enough understand and don't object. Game servers are a good example. There are plenty of those for all the people who want to play, most of whom probably don't know or care that that's some real person running the software on their server just to be nice.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 98 of 104
Game servers don't hold your personal data. I suppose at this point the discussion changing to be about how you'd market the service: easily enough dumbed down to explain, but there'd still be a huge number of people who get half of the concept and then think "But what if photos of my grandchildren end up on the computer of some pedo?" Assuming they survived me trying to kill them for not knowing how to spell paedo, they'd just not use it rather than look into it any further.
To: patch 99 of 104
Yeah I was just commenting on people's willingness to donate without getting any payment/recognition.

Marketing is... a whole other discussion :Y
To: patch 100 of 104
Or they'd select the option saying "use local storage" instead of the one saying "use encrypted distributed storage", and then there's no worry.

The point of this is, there doesn't need to be one way.

Facebook (and G+ and everyone) enforce their fixed way onto people, and people have no choice but to put up with it (or not use the service, and thus not be able to communicate with people across the globe).

Doing it right means providing people with the ability to have things their own way - and that includes whether you store your photos on your home machine, or on an encrypted peer-to-peer network, or on your ISP's space, or on your flickr account, or on a dedicated server, or on a cloud data store, or on a corporate VPN, or wherever the photo sharer chooses.

Computers are supposed to fit around human's needs; so people choose what they want to do, and it's the software's job to do that as seamlessly as possible.

And that doesn't need any one entity to spend lots of money on flashy hardware.
EDITED: 14 Oct 2011 21:09 by BOUGHTONP
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)14 Oct 2011 23:05
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 101 of 104
I think you're great Peter (heart)
To: ALL102 of 104

So I just got an advert "How To Lose Belly Fat" from an Australian company.

So on one hand that's good - it shows FB doesn't know everything about me (or at least doesn't tell advertisers).

But on the other hand, it does have me rather offended - that they would insult me by showing such an advert.

How dare they imply I'm fucking Australian! :@

EDITED: 15 Oct 2011 23:26 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 103 of 104
Fucking w3rd homie.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 104 of 104

I'm with Lucy. I LOVE ADBLOCK!

I hate facebook, my space, and quite a few others. I've tried some of them, and I'm not impressed. You go there to socialize. Not get buried in advertisements.

BEEHIVE RULES!

DP