Bugger! No BSOD

To: ALL1 of 12
Eyup my loves. I've had a problem with little blue for the last couple of days and I could do with a dollop of the collective wisdom.

After between 1 to 3 hours of use, it's freezes . There is a hideous noise through the speakers - staticy and farty, starting very loud & fading. There's no BSOD, no forced reboot. The screen just freezes, the cursor won't move, it doesn't respond to any keyboard commands. I think (though I'm not sure) that pushing the reset button doesn't lead to a successful reboot - it seems like I have to switch it off & and on again.

The Event Viewer has recorded 4 critical events in the last 24 hours - that's about right - Event ID 41/Task Category (63)/Kernel-Power/System. But that might just be the record of me rebooting: the window says
:
quote:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I've done the Windows 7 memory diagnostic and that didn't find anything wrong.

Can anybody suggest what I should do next?

Edit: I was right about the reset button. It doesn't fix whatever is up. I've tried it twice, and the PC froze at different points during the pre-boot sequence. However, if I turn the machine right off it boots up fine & runs until it freezes again.
EDITED: 27 Aug 2011 15:54 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 2 of 12
First up, does the reset button definitely work when it's not frozen up?

How old is the kit? If it's not a reasonably recent-ish model (say within 4 years) it might pre-date the introduction of solid capacitors that almost all manufacturers have switched to now, and might very well be dying due to them splitting and leaking. Of course this could be any item of hardware that has capacitors on or in it which would include the PSU, motherboard and any PCI / AGP / PCI-E cards.

The most likely culprit given the symptoms is the PSU, I reckon. If you have another known working PC you can pinch one from try that, but don't buy a new one on the off chance that is the problem.
To: Manthorp 3 of 12

I've got a very similar problem with mine at the moment. It freezes randomly, occasionally with a BSOD, something to do with ATIblah, sometimies the screen freezes, but usually it just goes black. Resetting doesn't help so have to turn it off and on at the switch on the PSU.

I'm tempted to use the opportunity to upgrade everything since a modern GPU (which I think is the culprit due to the ati error) wouldn't do its best with a 1.86GHz C2D.

To: Manthorp 4 of 12
First thing I'd try is booting up from a live linux cd (only because I have dozens lying around, begging for a reason to live). Then you could check if the hardware is working, including internal hdd(s). You could also recover any valuable data by copying it (network, burn cd/dvd, usb key, whatever). If hw checks out ok, boot from windows installer cd and try to repair from there: fix boot, repair filesystem etc..
To: Matt 5 of 12
Could also be overheating, maybe check fans, blow dust out.
To: ALL6 of 12
Thanks all for sage advice. I have made progress in eliminating causes, if nothing else. My RAMs appear to be healthy - I swapped both out in turn and the freezes continued. I removed both optical drives and my D: hard drive - that didn't stop it either. I have given everything a good dusting (though with the most anaemic Air Duster I have ever bought). I can't prove it's not the GPU without swapping it out, but I don't feel that it is There's no graphical glitching before the freeze happens, and it happens just as much when I'm not running anything graphically taxing.

It feels like it's probably CPU fan or PSU. CPU and cooler are fairly new, so my money is on the PSU, especially when the PSU fan seems to be changing speed as it runs. Unless the PSU fan is controlled by some 'on demand' malarkey of which I'm unaware, that might point towards it being the culprit, I suppose. Can anybody think of a clever way of eliminating the CPU fan? I guess I haven't ruled out the mobo either.
To: Manthorp 7 of 12

Is this "fairly new CPU cooler" that you have making contact with the top of the CPU correctly and have you checked the CPU temperature?

Do this with the CPU cooler attached and the fan still plugged in and running.

If you enter the BIOS set-up you should find a system monitoring section. Once you've found it turn the PC off and allow it to cool down for 10 minutes then turn it back on, enter the BIOS set-up and quickly navigate to the above section. Leave it there and watch the CPU temperature to see if it rises drastically.

Don't be alarmed if the CPU temperature rises a little above the norm, this will be because modern BIOSes still don't correctly tell CPUs to idle which causes them to always run at full-whack. What you're looking for is for it to rapidly rise beyond 80 or even 90°C or worse still switch off (or hangs as it may well be). If it does, then there is something wrong with the CPU cooler installation and you'll be wanting to have a look at it.

If the temperature doesn't rise rapidly and sticks around 50~60°C you can safely assume the cooler is doing it's job.

EDITED: 28 Aug 2011 17:39 by MATT
To: ALL9 of 12
Ta Matt & WmA. I found the temp panel ahead of your advice Matt, and I'm currently running it in the BIOS until it goes tits up. So far it's running at a steady 58c with the fan trundling along at a respectable 1480rpm.

Earlier on I cleaned & reseated the CPU cooler & replaced the old silver grease, just in case.

I've followed one or two of those leads already, WmA, but so far without any clear steer towards one solution.

I haven't yet tried disabling the internal audio yet, which perhaps I should do - though I think the noise is just a red herring.

No C drive errors or bad sectors incidentally.
To: Manthorp 10 of 12
Did you notice or can you check that caps on the resistor thingys (technical term) to make sure they aren't bulged or leaking gunk (another t.t.)?

If you see that they are then the MB is dying.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 11 of 12
I'm at GreyHair's stuffing myself with curry, but I'll check when I get back home. I doubt it, it's not that old either: it's an AS-Rock M3A770DE.
To: ALL12 of 12
Let the record show that it was a fuxxored PSU. I've stuck a new one in and it's running as right as a bobbin.