Tottenham - what gives?

To: ALL76 of 298
To: Mikee 77 of 298
Seems to be a modified version of a poster created for earlier Bristol riots.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 78 of 298

Seems to be the same flier that's been handed out at just about every demo I've been to.

Anyone see Ken Livingston gnome BBC news last night? Seemed to be the only person talking any sense.

To: koswix 79 of 298
Ken Livingstone was a total douche on BBC News, must disagree with you there..
To: Mikee 80 of 298
quote: Mikee
For fucks sake, only a matter of time until they kill someone innocent.

isn't that how it started?
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 81 of 298

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll be ok. I'm going to see about changing to another hotel this morning. "It'll introduce significant risk to the project going forward if I'm unable to progress deliverables because some wee fudd leveraged my laptop from my grasp and bolted before I could toe his baws."

To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 82 of 298
Put some white and blue paint on yer face and dress traditionally, you'll be fine. :-Y
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 83 of 298

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14454246

The douche is the guy interviewing him.

"lets get ken livingston on and as soon as he offers his thoughts on why the kids have gone mental we'll interupt him and accuse him of.just campaigning"

Riots don't just happen for a laugh, people have to be completely fucking mental about something to start rioting like this,.and i reckon ken is a lot.closer to the reasons why than anyone else I've seen on the news talking about it.

I saw one guy on Sky saying they were all 'hardened criminals' and in the same breath saying they were 13 year olds that were just 'out of control's

To: JonCooper 84 of 298
No idea. Neither do I care either way until the IPCC finish investigating..
To: koswix 85 of 298
quote:
Riots don't just happen for a laugh, people have to be completely fucking mental about something to start rioting like this,.and i reckon ken is a lot.closer to the reasons why than anyone else I've seen on the news talking about it.

I disagree completely. Sure, failure of the system is the root cause of this happening, but I don't think any of the rioting in the past couple of days has been out of anger.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 Aug 2011 09:14
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 86 of 298
If I could up your post, I would. You've just crystalised most of what's wrong with twitter.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 Aug 2011 09:18
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 87 of 298
Ooops, sorry, forgot the 'nj' there!
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 Aug 2011 09:19
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 88 of 298
Oh, and the fact that you get the feeling that you're reading only one half of a conversation.
EDITED: 9 Aug 2011 09:19 by MR_BASTARD
To: koswix 89 of 298
"People" don't have to be completely mental about something - I very much doubt that the looters out there at night are representative of a cross-section of society, from what I'm seeing it's just youth being lawless and purposefully looting and causing damage - no genuine justified anger here, just youth looking for a fight and what seems to have now been defined as "fun". Ken is saying that they're unloved basically and have nothing else to do - what the fuck? Too much hand-holding, you shouldn't need to be guided so carefully through live, have a f'in backbone and do things for yourself.

As stereotypical as it may sound, I would say that the parents and the abundance of easy credit and social assistance have quite a bit to do with causing all this.
EDITED: 9 Aug 2011 09:20 by NUKKLEAR
To: ALL90 of 298
Rt @truffy: If I could up your post, I would. You've just crystalised most of what's wrong with twitter.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 91 of 298
They'd have had to have heard of Luton, in order to be looking for it.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 Aug 2011 09:22
To: Gobfounded (YVE) 92 of 298
They thought they were going lootin'
To: koswix 93 of 298

There's undoubtedly a hard core of ringleaders orchestrating this. What they have doing all the dirty work though is bunches of kids with a cultural inability to just get out and do something positive for themselves. There's loads of kids out there who simply don't have the wherewithal or imagination not to be bored unless someone tells them what to do. Depending on who is doing the telling or how "interesting" the doing appears to be, they may or may not actually do it. Their need to be led and their need for "entertainment" makes it very easy for a situation like this to flare up and get out of hand. They're caught up in the hysteria, seeing safety in numbers and are too dumb and selfish to even consider that the people whose homes and livelihoods they're destroying could be their own family (specially if they've never known anyone in their family actually work for a living).

Some people just need a nanny state, unfortunately.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 94 of 298
I'm glad someone got my poor joke :'S
To: Mikee 95 of 298
I think when people are smashing things up and setting fire to shit it's pretty safe to assume they're angry.

Most of the rioters might not say they're angry, some might even say they're just doing it for fun. But you don't smash up the fabric of your surroundings unless you've been so estranged from it - have so little sense of belonging and ownership and community - that the alienation you feel is indistinguishable, objectively, from anger.