So You Sue Google, Then Bitch?

To: ALL1 of 23
Google blocked several Belgian newspapers from its web search results Friday in what the papers called retaliation over a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Google said an order issued in the case required it to exclude the newspapers' websites.

The newspapers filed a lawsuit against Google in 2006 claiming the web giant had no right to post links to their articles on Google News without payment or permission. They won, and a Belgian appeals court upheld their victory in May.

I just don't understand some companies/people. If you sue me I really don't think we're going to be pals.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 23
I just went for a peek at the google news page, far as I can see it contains headlines with links to the story on the appropriate site

so, google is only doing what the court told them to do, whatever the stupid papers think
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 3 of 23
:D

How incredibly dumb.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 4 of 23
Did you see that Apple won their patent case against HTC? So now all android phones are in violation of their patents.

I don't think that's what the intent of patents were. It's very strange. Monopolies are illegal here, yet we have patents that allow them to be formed. I'm so confused!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 5 of 23
Yeah, patents are basically fucked. It's funny that patents and copyright were set up to protect creativity and innovation. Now they're used to stifle the very same.

I think Apple are becoming the new IBM. I mean in that their strategy in this is to just sue anyone who comes anywhere near what they do and then do a deal so that they both share their patents (they cross-license so that they protect eachother from being sued while increasing the number of companies they can 'defensively' sue in future).

Good to see that Apple look like they're going to lose the 'app store' suit they brought against Amazon though.

But yeah, generally speaking, copyright and patents are used utterly inappropriately. They just don't work any more (if they ever did) and they're actively damaging to technology and the internet.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 6 of 23
I agree, but I think I read that there is no way Apple will license to Android and there isn't a workaround to the patent. The thing is so vague and broad that it really could apply to most things in a computer.

At least IBM would do a deal, I fear Apple won't.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 7 of 23
Aye, I guess that one's different. It's a ridiculous patent. I mean... they're also going ot have to sue pretty much every RTS game on PC - they're all allowed for the scaling and rotating of images on a screen...
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 23
(it's shit like this that makes me wish I could force myself to use Linux more. I certainly find Windows more pleasant to use (partly because I'm just used to it, sure) but... I just want to move myself away from all this proprietary bullshit)
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 9 of 23
It's getting there. For the desktop I love Windows, and on Servers. But mobile I will take Linux every time. Android is a really good OS. And soon our phones and computers will magically melt into one thing.

But really how many ways can you make a device recognize a url or phone number? Fucking dumb!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 10 of 23
I hate convergence :((

Well, I don't mind it. So long as the desktop PC survives. I like the desktop PC.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 11 of 23
There has to be some way we can do something about patents?

Short of fire-bombing all patent offices and violently attacking all individuals that continue to support the whole damned heap of dung.

Like writing up a document explaining and proving how patents are screwing innovators and damaging the economy at exactly the time when governments should be promoting growth, and then send it to all politicians world-wide and get as many people as possible to tell them if they don't ditch the shit they won't get into power next time round.

I dunno if there's enough angry techies that such a move might have any impact at all (or even if someone has already tried it), but I really hate that companies can just continue to go around getting and exploiting patents like this. :(

Please Drew, go make the whole world stop it. :'(
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 12 of 23
Yeah they've been killing he desktop for years.

For everyday stuff, sure I could use my phone with a wireless kb/mouse and bigger monitor. But not for killing zombies!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 13 of 23
This stuff won't be sorted out from the top down, it will change when they realise that their laws are being universally ignored. The way to combat it is to pirate what you want to pirate and buy what you want to buy - so that they slowly realise that piracy is not, in any way, analogous to theft and is a valid market expression - when piracy offers the best 'service' then it will be chosen and when it doesn't it won't.

Steam, though you hate it, is a perfect example. There are times when I would usually pirate something (when the original creators no longer have any part of the license and would receive no proportion of my payment, for example) but it's easier to use Steam.

But really I think this whole model of paying per reproduced item has to change now there is virtually no cost associated with that reproduction. But that's a way off yet.

But the big companies must learn that the more they alienate us and treat us with distrust, the less we will care about them and their financial wellbeing.

That's the consumer angle. The creative angle is obviously more difficult and far more important but I think the cultural shift of the former will inevitably lead to a re-evaluation of the latter. But obviously I think supporting companies who do it right - and talking publicly about those choices - will eventually help.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 14 of 23
I think the desktop (includes laptops in this sense) is important as it's where the creation of everything else happens. I think the internet is unique in that every person who has the means to be a consumer of media also has the potential means to be a creator of that same media. If we lose that we lose a big part of what's special about the net.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 15 of 23
Yeah at this point creating is difficult on a phone/ipad. But as we get the docking, syncing stuff working that will improve.

Great post to Peter btw.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)18 Jul 2011 08:31
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 16 of 23

What is needed, Drew, is a revolution. And I don't mean a step-change in technology or thinking, but an armed revolt.

Chaps?

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 17 of 23
<dusts off flintlock rifle>
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 18 of 23
I always had you down as a musket sort of man. :-{)
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 19 of 23
That made laughter escape from me!

I do in fact have flintlocks and muzzle loaders and rifles and shotguns and pistols. I could supply a few of us with arms. But I know a guy who could arm pretty much my whole town. It's like when we go in to the gun store in LFD2 except X100.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 23
:D

I want an invisible rifle fitted with a bayonet.