Hacker!

To: ALL1 of 7
I just caught someone on my termserver sending bulk spam! Wow!!

Guess it's time to change this weak admin password!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 7
I would be very wary of everything on that term server now and whatever it might be connected to... Most importantly, how did they get in in the first place?
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 3 of 7
Must have just brute forced the very very weak admin password.

I have been meaning to change it (it was the same since I got the job) Guess today is the day!

I am looking at the server now to see what they've done.
To: ALL4 of 7
Well I have their list of email address. And I see in the logs that they are still trying to get on the server.

I've changed the password to 15 characters and it was generated by lastpasse's generator tool. I think I will remove the ability for the admin account to have remote access and check my other user accounts and get the all tightened up.

Not what I wanted to walk into today, and it was just dumb luck that I found this, but it's pretty interesting stuff!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 5 of 7

Why is public access to your term server allowed?
I realise it's a term server, but surely people should have to VPN in first? I don't like open holes facing the Internet - anything other than access for a proxy, a mail proxy and very few other bits and bobs should be plugged. Dictatorship ftw!

EDITED: 11 Jul 2011 16:37 by NUKKLEAR
To: Serg (NUKKLEAR) 6 of 7
Because whoever set this up was a dumbass. I'm going to change it and make a VPN mandatory if someone wants to connect.
To: ALL7 of 7
Fuck is changing an Admin password a pain in the ass.