SatNav reviews

To: af (CAER) 32 of 80
Well, I managed to grab a rough video on my mobile.

This is iGo Primo v1.2 with:
  • UK & NI Maps
  • 3D buildings
  • Full UK POI list, showing parking and fuel on maps.
  • UK Text to speech
  • Default colour scheme

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/igo1.jpg/
http://img339.imageshack.us/i/igo2.jpg/
http://img844.imageshack.us/i/igo3.jpg/
http://img202.imageshack.us/i/igo4.jpg/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNGDuZnAvA

The video is with it using the inbuilt 2GB memory which is sluggish compared to a fast MicroSD, but it's fine for my occasional use.
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 33 of 80
See now that is useful! Thank you so much :D

Hmm, now I'm wondering what it'd be like to have a 6 incher (y,j)...
To: af (CAER) 34 of 80
I downloaded it through tomtom home yonks ago, couldn't tell you what it's called but there's plenty about on the web http://www.colorschemeeditor.com/index.php?p=schemes&lang=EN has several options including Michelin colours and OS map colours amongst others, or the ability to make your own schemes!
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 35 of 80
To: af (CAER) 36 of 80
So what you want is software with a highly legible map (or the ability to customise colours and produce one).

You don't care about colour schemes so long as the map is legible?

( And no, that's not being pedantic, it's being precise and clear - exactly the same thing you're asking for in a sat nav. :P )
To: graphitone 37 of 80
I have not been in any of you. (Despite what many might wish.)

It's perfectly normal for people to have specific requirements - but unfortunately it's also normal for people to suppress them for everyday things, and not pay enough attention to what they really want.

If you did, everyone would be happier, and the world would be a better place, and I wouldn't have to moan so much. :P
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 May 2011 22:48
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 38 of 80
(cheer)
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 May 2011 22:49
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 39 of 80
Peter, your moaning brings more joy than you can imagine. :Y
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 40 of 80
Wow! I can imagine a great deal, so that's a lot of joy! (bounce)
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 41 of 80

Actually, what people should be looking for is not the clarity of the maps, but the clarity of the voice instructions. My old Avensis had built-in SatNav which ran on a teeny mono LCD screen on the dash, but was good since you never really needed to look at it while navigating, the voice directions were clear, making use of adjectives.

"In 200 yards, turn HARD right, followed by a SLIGHT left."

To: Ixion 42 of 80
:O That looks perfect!

Pete: yes, sort of - saying I don't care about the colour scheme isn't exactly right as it's integral to the legibility of the map (other factors being angle of view, antialiasing, map design etc.)

Also, this review is what they should be like, despite being in French. It's what convinced me that the new TomTom map display is quite nice. It's also rather long, but has the good sense to show plenty of footage of the device actually being used.

So to recap: all I wanted was a satnav with clear, easy-to-read-at-a-glance maps, and have found a couple. The issue I have is that this information is so bloody hard to find and compare, and shouldn't be.
EDITED: 10 May 2011 09:17 by CAER
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 43 of 80
Heh, was actually ponderjng that - I navigate mostly by the voice rather than visuals.

Though there have been a couple of times when checking the display has been required, and at those times I would want the targrt path to be the most obvious line (unlike in that yellow mess above).

Although, what I also like to do is look up significant junctions in advance, using Street View, which means they're more familiar when arriving in person, though I don't think I've done that in conjunction with usjng satnav yet, but in theory it'd make visuals even less important.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 44 of 80
One of my friends in the office went to Florida for the first time last year. He started to panic about getting lost, so he sensibly bought a road map. Then, despite admitting that his girlfriend was very good at reading maps he proceeded to buy further, more detailed maps, planning each day in minute detail; then checking Google maps to double check he knew each day's route. That wasn't enough though, he proceeded to buy the Florida maps for his TomTom, and then spent hours "driving" the routes one Google Streetview. Well, at least he didn't get lost :)
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 45 of 80
Are road signs over there not trustworthy?
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 46 of 80

I've had many discussions at work about road maps, sat nav and people being idiots.

I only see the real need for sat nav to do the very last part of a journey. I can definitely get to pretty much all the major towns and cities in the UK without sat nav, or a map, by just using road signs (and looking up where abouts they are beforehand). Getting to an actual destination is where sat nav is actually useful.

To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 47 of 80
What was his plans for if there were any diversions?
To: ANT_THOMAS 48 of 80
Roadsigns don't do "find alternative route" , and sat navs don't require xray vision when stuck behind/beside large vehicles.
To: ANT_THOMAS 49 of 80
I agree for the most part, however I do find it handy to have a readout of time and distance remaining. Especially since it lets us give Owen a reasonalbly accurate ETA when heading to the in-laws.
To: ANT_THOMAS 50 of 80
I am amused by people who completely give up any working knowledge of where they're going when they use sat-nav. But I also occasionally catch myself doing the same!

Also yeah, alternative routes and automatic traffic avoidance is cool.
To: Iain (WIBBLEBOY) 51 of 80

I couldn't agree more on that, I do often use it for the ETA reason.

PB : That's very true also, but I don't often want to deviate.