To AV or not to AV

To: DrBoff (BOFF) 47 of 115
Aww, please?
To: ALL48 of 115

I have a politics blog. I'm not supposed to blog about politics due to my job, so i don't engage in any partisan/party stuff. I mostly blog about how politics work, about parliamentary procedure and a lot about the UK coalition since i figure blogging about UK politics will be less against the rules than blogging about Canadian politics.

So naturally, i've blogged a fair bit about the referendum. The past couple of weeks, the keyword search activity on my blog has been really interesting. I'm getting so many hits from people in the UK looking for info about AV, trying to clarify the crapola the No side has been spouting, etc. So much so that i've started writing targetted blog posts to address some of the most common issues people seem to be looking for (if i didn't already have something written). UK visitors have pushed my little blog into the top 10 among Canadian political blogs. I will miss the traffic boost once this thing is over and my blog returns to its usual anonymity.

On a related note, we had a general election on Monday which resulted in a Conservative majority (boo!). So i ran the seats that weren't won with 50%+1 of the vote under a simulated AV count and it resulted in the Cons losing 19 seats and their majority. Plus the 2nd and 3rd place parties would have commanded a majority of seats, so could have formed a coalition or something. Just saying'.

To: Jo (JELLS) 49 of 115
Now that is actually an interesting result when looking from an AV point of view.
To: Jo (JELLS) 50 of 115
Where's yer blog?
To: Mouse 51 of 115
To: Jo (JELLS) 52 of 115
Cheers, I will plug it into the monster that is my Google Reader account.
To: ALL54 of 115

well fuck the lot of you education experts - try doing the job if you think teachers are generally shit. In my experience the vast majority of teachers are fully committed, hard-working people who care a lot about what their students get out of being in school. They put in ridiculousy long hours and put up with a load of crap from kids who don't want to be there. And my experience is 6 different educational settings that covers the range from selective grammar schools, further education and bottom of the heap secondary moderns so I'm pretty well-qualified to comment.

If you really want someone to blame, look at society and parents. Education and being educated is looked down on in the uk. It's seen as being ok to be ignorant. A significant minority of parents offer no support to schools, teachers or the principle of being open to new ideas.

The only other jobs where you have the potential to be told to fuck off, to your face, on a daily basis are things like police and health care. But fuck it, schools and teachers are an easy target aren't they :@

To: ALL55 of 115

Dragging the thread back onto topic, I'm voting yes.
I was already voting yes, but the nasty tone and lies within the 'No' campaign has just made me more committed.

To: johngti_mk-ii 56 of 115

I don't think anyone's dissing teachers particularly, they're asked to do an impossible job because the system is fucked from top to bottom. We have a enlightenment/early industrial education system in a postmodern/post-industrial/information-driven world, and it's not at all appropriate.

Having said that, in my experience, the vast majority of teachers were shit.

EDITED: 5 May 2011 08:29 by X3N0PH0N
To: johngti_mk-ii 57 of 115
Also, whether the job is a difficult one or not has nothing to do with whether anyone is any good at it or not.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 58 of 115
quote:
I don't think anyone's dissing teachers particularly

Understatement of the day.
To: ALL59 of 115
Where do I vote to show my appreciation of teachers? I am not one but see friends who are working bloody hard. They're important!

(obligatory 6 week holiday comment)
EDITED: 5 May 2011 09:16 by MOUSE
To: Mouse 60 of 115
I'd like to know too. Sure there are some crap teachers, but there's also plenty of good ones too. Admittedly I'm biased as my mum was a teacher, but I often remember her working until 9pm on marking and preparation stuff.
To: johngti_mk-ii 61 of 115
I had just finished a long reply, then this piece of shit Android rubbish killed it on me. :@ :@

Summarised version...

Fuck off! I never mentioned teachers at all. Nobody insulted teachers.

Teachers, like all people, come in all shapes and sizes. Some are good, some are bad.

My rant is against the structure/model used, not against those that are (mostly) doing their best with what we have.

It's not about blaming anyone (except the shit governments who don't care about it), it's just a bad system that evolved this way over time.

I see the attitude of "stupid is ok" as a sign of the problem, not the cause.

I might have had something else, but I can't remember it if I did. Stupid Android. :@
To: ALL62 of 115
Anyway, I now need to go out and find something to put in my mouth.

Might as well take a brief detour and hopefully annoy some Conservatives.

(It is today, right?)
To: ALL63 of 115
David Blunkett admits that the No side used made-up numbers when they claimed AV would cost £250-mn.
EDITED: 5 May 2011 15:39 by JELLS
To: Jo (JELLS) 64 of 115
Broken link?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 65 of 115
Weird. Fixed it now.
To: Jo (JELLS) 66 of 115
Heh, doesn't surprise me.

I did like some of the comments, though:

quote:
I second that.

Blunkett and his ilk - career politicians more concerned about their own perceived rather than their duty to the electorate - ALL of the electorate, not just the 30% or so of each constituency that keeps returning them to parliament under FTTP.

Best argument for AV yet. If we can only return people to parliament via FTTP I think that leaves us with a choice between Skynet and PB :D